Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp - Lead Boost help

boz52

I was wondering what is the best way to add a boost to the signal without much tone change.  I plan to have snapshot 1 clean , snapshot 2 - gain , snapshot 3 same as 2 but with lead boost 

I’m new to the Stomp so any help is appreciated. Thanks, Ben 

A good solution is to set the main L/R output -3dB and use a foot switch to boost back up to 0dB. This doesn't require a block (works well on HX Stomp) and makes sure that you aren't adding any gain, only removing a cut, to reduce the chance of downstream clipping.

Using the channel volume is ok, but this changes the gain into any effect blocks that follow the amp block. I prefer to keep all the blocks pretty close to unity gain and do the boosting by removing a cut at the end of the signal chain. This way I'm sure that the lead boost isn't going to do anything but boost the volume, and all the blocks are getting an input that's hopefully close to their sweet spot.

That said, you might prefer to have a lead boost that also adds a bit more distortion. A Kinky Boost block in front of the amp is a nice way to do this. Another option I've used is to set min and max drive levels with a footswitch. This is a different kind of lead boost, one that changes the volume and distortion voicing at the same time.

• Like 1