Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Black Raven Protector

rsvette12

47 minutes ago, rsvette12 said:

Lot of work put into this product plus Carbon Fiber Knob Guards - I think its worth protecting the Helix investment  :)

I'm not finding fault with the concept, or the desire to protect one's gear...only the price. Which imho, is ridiculous. It's a piece of plastic with a bunch of holes in it. For the same money, you could buy a sheet of plexiglass at Home Depot big enough to make 3 or 4 of these things... sell the extras on Ebay for $50 a pop, and you'll still make money. 

• Upvote 2

Great idea. Looks like they were cut out with a water jet CNC. Having anything cut on a water jet is going to cost some $ because they are trying to pay off their equipment. 

Now just add some "knob condoms" to protect from spilled drinks....

Hi hear yah Crusinin - I built 6,00$ PC and bending lexan is a pia  - also these are laser cut - try cutting holes in lexan thats a real pia - all the work involved plus it would never be this good without proper equipment price for me is well worth it - not going to hack something on to a beautiful unit - do value your opinion though

HI,

i also ordered one - just irrational kick of the new Helix. ;-)

To be honest I have no idea what the production costs are but i'm also irrated by the price, esp. because 

a) i have paid 160USD (because of international shipping) ... and maybe local customs will charge me additional 20% and

b) at this price the 'protection' itself defies it's purpose to soime degree - when you start to fear that the cover itself will be damaged.

It's like buying a 10.000-USD-Safe to protect 100 USD .... ;-)

But in the end: It's a hobby and 'rentability' is a somewhat minor point in hobbies. :-D

Bye

Simon

• Like 1

While those look nice, I completely agree that it's an incredibly high price for it, and something like carbon fiber is silly on this.  Another ounce or two of plastic isn't going to matter for this use, use something cheaper.  Not that carbon fiber is even that expensive these days.

While it wouldn't be nearly as nice, you could probably fashion something quick out of cheap plexiglass that would do the job of protecting it at gigs or anywhere else you're worried about damage for just a couple bucks for the plexiglass and a tool to cut some holes in it if you don't already have a drill and a dremel or an xacto knife of some sort.

I would have considered it for maybe $20 just to save some trouble and have something that looked a bit nicer.

That said, to those of you ordering it and happy with it, all power to you.  You certainly don't need anyone else's validation of it!

You must have missed the part where cutting holes and square cut outs is impossible with basic tools cant be done very easily and if you manage it - it will still not look perfect - all set with that - not going to place a piece of crap over a 1,100$ Helix

Having worked with lexan and plexiglass for numerous projects previously, it's hardly impossible.  It won't look as nice or be as quick as waterjet cutting, but it works fine after a little light sanding.  I'm not claiming it will look as nice as this product, but it'll have the same utility and be a fraction of the cost.  I also don't know when I'd use it except on a stage where nobody can see it, since I'm not worried about spills or other damage in my office/"studio", so I'd be more concerned over utility rather than appearance, but that's again just my personal thought on it

Again, it's a nice product - it's just very expensive, and as I said, you don't need my validation of your purchase.  I'm glad you're happy with it and thank you for sharing the link!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, shortspecialbus said:

Having worked with lexan and plexiglass for numerous projects previously, it's hardly impossible.  It won't look as nice or be as quick as waterjet cutting, but it works fine after a little light sanding.  I'm not claiming it will look as nice as this product, but it'll have the same utility and be a fraction of the cost.  I also don't know when I'd use it except on a stage where nobody can see it, since I'm not worried about spills or other damage in my office/"studio", so I'd be more concerned over utility rather than appearance, but that's again just my personal thought on it

Again, it's a nice product - it's just very expensive, and as I said, you don't need my validation of your purchase.  I'm glad you're happy with it and thank you for sharing the link!

Thank you...few things are genuinely impossible if you actually bother to figure out how to do it properly. Would it be just as pretty? Probably not, but unless you deliberately half-a$$ it like a drunken 8 year old playing with dad's tools, it wouldn't be a "piece of crap" either, as previously indicated, lol. 

When somebody makes one for fifty bucks or less, I'll reconsider. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

50$ would be a great deal - sell a ton probably at the moment he has a ton of orders to do so they are selling

@Short protection main reason I guess but I actually thinks it looks great :) easier to clean than the black facing of the Helix - man I luv the helix sounds so good

I got one a week or two ago for my LT. Easy to install, fits fine. You basically remove 3 screws from the edges of the Helix and use the thumb screws provided with the cover to attache it. Took me all of about 2 minutes. Not waterproof, but it'll protect from the casual sloshed beer onstage. Also actually prevents your patch cords from accidentally moving the knobs, which has been an occasional problem for me w/ my LT (especially the volume knob). 

I can't disagree that the price is a bit steep, but it's a well-made product IMO.

• Like 1

Hi,

i also installed mine (Floor) a few days ago ... and it immediately paid off, because as i connected the cables again, my SM57 fell from the table directly unto the Helix. :-O :-O :-O

It would've crashed right on the main display - if it wasn't  protected - and probably caused some damage.

So it only lead to a tiny scratch on the  protector.

But i have to admit: Maybe the Mic wouldn't have fallen at all if i haven't removed and reinstalled the Helix for the installation of the protector. ;-)

Bye

Simon

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just installed mine took quite a bit of time but worth the wait for sure - high quality product for sure luv it - worth every penny

Now for the bad well maybe the bad - pia to get the dust off of it before install - new that was going to be interesting

The problem is dust and crap before you attach it - static electricity causing dust to adhere to it and would spoil the look

So here is the good news this is what I did - I only connect supplied screws and washers one on each side because on the left there is 2 thumb screws

I had just the two screws with washers behind the plastic and rotated up and held it then cleaned Helix with glass cleaner then the under neath of protector with glass cleaner - put it back down onto Helix all good put the 3rd thumb screw back in then cleaned front surface with glass cleaner - done looks great

I then put supplied hex wrench and the original Helix screws into Raven supplied plastic bag and put them into my Helix box for safe keeping

This very delicate but beautiful would buy another in a second - you are not going to make one these your self at this quality never going to happen

Before it arrived I was debating if I was going to use the carbon fiber protectors around the knobs - it would look great that way also but they are attached already so nothing to think about there - they stay

If your debating on one of these you will be amazed and realize why the cost is bit on the high side -