Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp - Output to PA & FRFR

ak301

So I'm gigging tomorrow night with the Stomp.

I normally use my AX8 and send one out to the PA and another to my FRFR. With the AX8 I can mirror the signal so I have separate volumes

I know I cant do that with the Stomp, but I'm wondering what's the best setup in these circs, normal Mono output to the FRFR then the second out in the L channel (Not using any stereo effects), or something else?

5 hours ago, ak301 said:

So I'm gigging tomorrow night with the Stomp.

I normally use my AX8 and send one out to the PA and another to my FRFR. With the AX8 I can mirror the signal so I have separate volumes

I know I cant do that with the Stomp, but I'm wondering what's the best setup in these circs, normal Mono output to the FRFR then the second out in the L channel (Not using any stereo effects), or something else?

If you can manage that it works great because you save on blocks.

The other common option is to split paths. That method allows you to have separate volumes, but at the expense of a block.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, frankencat said:

So is there a way to do this and how?

Well . . . yeah. We talk about the how a bit in the above. The manual also gives several examples. 

If you want separate volumes, then split the path at the very end. Use the Stomp's "Send" to transmit your signal to your FRFR. Use the Stomp's main left output to go to the PA. 

Or, if you don't need them to have different volumes, then do a mono signal chain and just use the Stomp's left/mono main out to the PA, and the right output to the FRFR. 

On 9/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, frankencat said:

I get that but how do you assign one path to get controlled bye the volume and other one not?

There are several ways to get there, but they revolve around the same idea. Most of the blocks in the Stomp have a level parameter, and then of course there are level parameters on the output section of choice too. From boost blocks, to a gain block, to level adjusts within blocks or output blocks, there are lots of choices. My favorite way to do it is through snapshots, but you can tie a FS function to level, or tie an expression pedal to it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I bought an HX Stomp recently, and fell into a similar issue. Thought this might be helpful:

What I want to do is to send a signal with an IR to FOH, and also a signal without the IR into the FX Return of a guitar amp using a "Send L" block before the IR Block . the issue here is that the "Send" block has its own Level parameter, and since a change presets quite often (I run out of blocks quite easily, since 2 of the 6 available blocks are  already occupied by the IR and Send blocks), I would have to adjust the level on the send block for each and every preset, every soundcheck before a gig, wich is not ideal. So the solution I came up with is to use a Passive attenuator like the JHS Black Amp Box (Send L>JHS bab>FX Return of the amp). This way, I can set the difference in volume I want for each preset at home, and then use the attenuator as a master volume (I'm using backline amps at gigs, and this is a life saver for when the amps don't have a "Master Volume" knob after the fx loop). also I would recommend building the passive attenuator yourself, considering it's just an audio taper pot between two mono jacks :p 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH_aH-uJQpc

once I do it myself, I'll post the results.

If you are using a FRFR Speaker, just place the Send block at the very end of your signal chain and you should be good to go.