Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd Pro+power Amp+cab Clipping/low End Problem

GageGoss

I have a Pod HD Pro set up with my Carvin DCM 200L going into an Orange 4x12 cab and I play pretty heavy metal/high gain type stuff. I'm having an issue with the low end sounding overwhelming or even slightly clipping when I hold a palm muted note. I play an Ibanez RGA8 8 string so naturally there will be a lot of bottom end anyway but it sounds like the tone begins to swell and just overwhelm everything when I hold an open palm mute. I was wondering if its my signal chain or the power amp or the cab or even that's just how the guitar will sound because of the low tuning.

Any input will help!

Try backing off the low end and/or gain on your tone and see if that changes anything.  You can also try a different cab to see if that changes the situation.  You already have a ton of low end, if you are running a scooped-mid tone that could be exacerbating the situation.

Hey, another 8-string player here. My guess is that you simply have too much bass in your tone. I'm assuming you're already running some sort of boost drive in front of the pre-amp, so a place to start might be there by backing off some low end and increasing the middle on your boost. Also, if you have any compressors in your chain, especially post-amp or right at the front you may want to check your settings, as this can cause the issue as well. May want to examine pick-up height, as well. FWIW, I've gone to a pretty basic Gate->Boost->Gate->Amp chain and its made my tone way, way clearer. I'm using the Mesa model with the gain at about half way with a boost in front with drive at 3, lows at 25, mids at 100, highs at 75, and the output at around 75.....sounds a little dry by itself but the mutes hold long and tight and when the kick and the bass get in there, its fvcking massive.

For strictly booming on the low end, I have had the best results by going into the CAB DEP and setting the LOW CUT to 110-140 and adjusting RES LEVEL and THUMP to taste.  You don't have to tweak the rest of your signal chain to fix this... give it a try...

That's exactly what I do too but I didn't know how he had his PODHD setup.  I set low cut to 140 and reduce Resonance to 40% when using ANGEL Pre through 4x12 XXL cab and 4038 ribbon mic.  Then I have it going studio direct into the effect return of a Marshall amp into a 4x12 cab.

• Upvote 1