Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native, two cabs into separate tracks

wildboy280

As per title, I want to record the same take in two separate mono tracks using two different microphones (57 and 414). So I created a preset with an amp block, followed by a signal splitter and two stock cab blocks (Cali 4x12), one per each signal path. The outputs of the two paths, marked as DAW, are hard panned, one left and one right.

In the DAW (Cubase Elements 10), Helix Native is positioned in the insert of the input channel, so I can record the effected sound. I also created two mono tracks, one with the input panned left and the other panned right.

When I record a take, both the mono channels record the same sound, not the two different ones coming from the two cabs. Am I missing something? Is there any trick to make it work?

On 3/4/2019 at 1:17 AM, wildboy280 said:

As per title, I want to record the same take in two separate mono tracks using two different microphones (57 and 414). So I created a preset with an amp block, followed by a signal splitter and two stock cab blocks (Cali 4x12), one per each signal path. The outputs of the two paths, marked as DAW, are hard panned, one left and one right.

In the DAW (Cubase Elements 10), Helix Native is positioned in the insert of the input channel, so I can record the effected sound. I also created two mono tracks, one with the input panned left and the other panned right.

When I record a take, both the mono channels record the same sound, not the two different ones coming from the two cabs. Am I missing something? Is there any trick to make it work?

Hi wildboy280,

I’m not in the studio at the moment so I am not able to run through the set up you describe, but Helix Native should be able to route the signals to wherever you need them to go.

If you are having problems with trying to record the effected sound panned into 2 mono channels, then a quick simple solution to this issue would be to re-amp from a clean DI track. You could then run the dry unprocessed guitar track into any combination of amps, cabs, mics, fx etc., in mono or stereo as many time as you like. This way if you decide that the reverb is a little too loud or the delay repeats aren’t long enough, or anything else is not quite right it is all available to modify as you wish. You are not stuck with the processed audio printed to disk.

Here’s a short video with Sean Halley showing the re-amping technique using a hardware Helix.

Hope this helps.

If you record your take, then route it into two separate HXN mono amps, then pan one hard left an one hard right using the Stereo Volume/Pan block, than split the bounced stereo track to two monos using your DAW (or bus into two monos), would that work for you? You could do the same thing playing in real-time, if you have a low-latency set-up.

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 8.24.58 AM.png

Soundog's solution seems to be the only one that works; same amp module doubled on the two paths with different mics and hard panned.

Still, I don't understand why using one amp and two cabs with the split path doesn't work.

Maybe that option is not included in the software?

Running multiple mono guitar track into one instance of native, with ability to pan those track is a little complicated and not intuitive. Check this post and let me know if it helps.  One thing to keep in mind is even after you setup a patch as described, you'll still need to pan the mono guitar tracks in your daw.

wildboy -- I just did a quick experiment here, and using a split path works for me, like this:

563001952_ScreenShot2019-03-06at8_02_41AM.png.bc8a5f3f884b344ce97c723cf679abf9.png

Didn't need to use a Volume/Pan block, because if you click on the output Host circle you can do the hard pan L or R there.  The split path works fine, and I'm using two different amps on those paths. (Using Logic Pro X here). The result is a stereo output, with one amp panned hard L, one hard R. You can split those off however you like in your DAW using busses, etc. I didn't experiment with a Dual Mono HXN, but thats worthy of an experiment.