Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any Way To Avoid Initial Download From Jtv In Workbench Hd?

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the initial download of models from the JTV to Workbench HD on initial startup?  I looked in the help but did not see a disable option mentioned. Just wondered if anyone had found a work around.

(I know it is a new safety backup feature but if you want to keep dipping in and out of Workbench HD to tweak model settings as I have been doing recently, this feature gets old really quickly as it just takes too long to download the 60 models, so I would like to disable it so I can connect up and get tweaking without having to wait for a couple of minutes for the initial download to complete.)

Thanks in advance.   :)

Yeah, that does take a while to load. Would be nice in a way if you could selectively load only one bank, or just one or more models that you want to work on. I seldom want to work on more than one or two at a time, usually in the same bank.

I usually run a regular guitar cable into some monitors so I can listen to the changes I'm making in real time. It would be very time consuming to go in and out of workbench to check the sound after each little adjustment.

Thanks for the responses.

I have been monitoring via an amp while I make my changes.  I have the amp set to a clean tone with no reverb so I am only hearing the model sound without any extra effects.  I have been working on my favourite models to start with.  However, I then disconnect and go off and play via my HD500 and then I have to make some more tweaks - so back to Workbench HD and .....   :(

Unfortunately, I can't get all my tweaking done and dusted in one Workbench HD session - hence the frustration with the wait each time I decide to tweak and have to reconnect - and because I am 90% there with the sound, the tweak is normally a minor adjustment, so only takes a few seconds to change, so the long connection time before being able to make that tiny tweak is a pain.

Perhaps I will add it to Ideascale as a future enhancement request...

:)

What I've been doing (w/no HD500, but straight into amp) is 1) connect to the computer, bring up WBHD, and let it do its thing with the d/l from the JTV (59 in my case). That d/l happens only once per day/session. I make my mods and upload from the guitar to the computer, and then save the preset(s) I just changed. I listen to the results of the change; if needed, I then make the next mod and re-save it (just the preset), and then listen again. I do this until I have what I want.  I DON'T end my WBHD session until I'm finished (for the day). I sometimes tweak the adjustments I'm making several times, but only have to put up with the "Auto/Connect D/L" in WBHD the first time of the day.

I know this won't work for those of you using the HD500X, but if you're going straight to the amp, I think it's the ticket for an easy, trouble-free mod session.

edstar, while using the HD500X, you CAN just save the preset, do your WBHD session, saving just that one preset, until you're happy with it, and then, when you're ready, load the bundle, then load the 'finished' preset, and re-save the new bundle. Now, when you start your new session, just 'Cancel' the auto-download, load the bundle, and do it (your session) again. Hope this made sense (it does to me). If anything is unclear, let me know, and I'll try to clarify it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice TxHCBP.     Certainly just connecting once and having a good long experimental session while auditioning on an amp is a good idea, but this long initial connect time due to the download of data is an unnecessary pain.  It would be much better if the software could determine that it had already saved the settings and that no subsequent changes had been made so therefore no automatic backup was necessary.    Surely having one quick handshake and sync check between software and guitar could do that?  I don't see why it has to download all 60 sounds from JTV every time it connects - surely there must be a way it can determine it already did that - maybe have a checksum setting saved on the JTV that matches the last backup taken and that can be checked before anything else?  Anyway - that's a suggestion for IDEASCALE.

I am not sure what you mean by just "CANCEL" the auto-download - can you do that?    Thanks for your advice and help!

edstar, while using the HD500X, you CAN just save the preset, do your WBHD session, saving just that one preset, until you're happy with it, and then, when you're ready, load the bundle, then load the 'finished' preset, and re-save the new bundle. Now, when you start your new session, just 'Cancel' the auto-download, load the bundle, and do it (your session) again. Hope this made sense (it does to me). If anything is unclear, let me know, and I'll try to clarify it.

Hope this helps.

I am not sure what you mean by just "CANCEL" the auto-download - can you do that?    Thanks for your advice and help!

The handshake idea is good, but you're right: it's one for ideascale.

Yes, you CAN cancel the auto-download. That's what i usually do.  I've (almost always) saved the previous changes in a bundle, so I just cancel the auto-d/l, load the bundle into my JTV-59, make any changes I want, then re-save the bundle. Takes less time to do all that than it takes to wait for the auto-d/l. Or you can do the same thing with any preset. Makes life a little easier. For me, anyway. Good luck and have fun with it.

The handshake idea is good, but you're right: it's one for ideascale.

Yes, you CAN cancel the auto-download. That's what i usually do.  I've (almost always) saved the previous changes in a bundle, so I just cancel the auto-d/l, load the bundle into my JTV-59, make any changes I want, then re-save the bundle. Takes less time to do all that than it takes to wait for the auto-d/l. Or you can do the same thing with any preset. Makes life a little easier. For me, anyway. Good luck and have fun with it.

Thanks for the advice!  I will give that a try!