Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Amp+Cab block vs 2 separate blocks sounds different/thinner?

kmcintu

I just got the HX Stomp and am loving it! However, I’m running into the same issues as a lot of people where 6 blocks isn’t enough. I downloaded the matchless patch from Worship Tutorials which sounds great to me, but it uses all 6 blocks with separate blocks for the amp and cab. I wanted to run an effects loop to add in my Fulltone OCD, so I copied the preset and combined the amp and cab into one block. It still sounds good, but it sounds a little thinner than having separate blocks even tho they have identical settings. Does that make sense? Has anyone else run into this? Am I missing something or is it my imagination?

perhaps it’s possible that:

- with the two separate blocks, the amp output is sent out in stereo, then re-combined going into the cab block. This would attribute a volume increase which could be described as “fullness” depending on your listening source and volume.  

- with the amp/cab combo block, the “stereo output summed back to mono” never happens.  

...or, perhaps you’re crazy and hearing things. :)

1 hour ago, jws1982 said:

perhaps it’s possible that:

- with the two separate blocks, the amp output is sent out in stereo, then re-combined going into the cab block. This would attribute a volume increase which could be described as “fullness” depending on your listening source and volume.  

- with the amp/cab combo block, the “stereo output summed back to mono” never happens.  

...or, perhaps you’re crazy and hearing things. :)

I'm definitely not going to rule out "hearing things" ha. Perhaps I can mess around with the output settings and see if what happens. Thanks for the tip.

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

Re-load the original preset and note the cab settings, mic, etc. Then combine them with the original cab settings applied.

What are the steps to combining them? Do I remove the Amp block and modify the Cab block and choose an amp? I don't have the hx stomp with me right now so I don't remember if I can add an amp to the cab block to make it an amp+cab block.

12 minutes ago, klintm said:

What are the steps to combining them? Do I remove the Amp block and modify the Cab block and choose an amp? I don't have the hx stomp with me right now so I don't remember if I can add an amp to the cab block to make it an amp+cab block.

You can't combine them yourself. He was saying take a look at the separate cab block settings, and the separate amp block settings, and make sure that when you choose L6's pre-created combined version you match all of the settings on that to the separate settings. 

This is actually something I've wondered about since buying the Stomp because I've always noticed that most stock cab users still seem to go with separate amp and cab blocks rather than combined even when their setup doesn't have anything very complex going on. Technically separating them can give you more control, but if you don't need that control who cares? Obviously if you are going to use IRs you HAVE to go separate (though it would be cool if they gave us an amp/IR block - that would be very cool). 

So I ran a lot of tests. In my opinion, the combined versions can sound just as good as the separate ones, you just need to tweak them right. Because of the Stomp's premium on blocks (six is sometimes very limiting) I use the combined ones whenever I can.

Still, there are times I split them up for dual cab + split signal moments, or when I'm using IRs. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

He was saying take a look at the separate cab block settings, and the separate amp block settings, and make sure that when you choose L6's pre-created combined version you match all of the settings on that to the separate settings. 

This.