Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500x First Gig!

bignath

Hi all,

would just like to say thanks for the help I've received on a couple of topics since I purchased the hd500x a month or so ago.

Had my first gig with it the other week, and everything went unbelievably well.

We typically get a lot of people coming up to us at gigs commenting on our sound (partly due to the awesome pa that we own) and I get the "once in a while" comment regarding my personal tones too. I was running a PRS Custom 22 through a pedal board loaded with lots of cool pedals, most boutiqueish stuff (no boss, behringer stuff on my board thanks) into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Nice setup actually. I was very happy with my tone.

But I wanted something simpler to setup, packdown, more consistent from gig to gig, plus the ability to really dial in a tone closer to the recording if required. I also wanted to make the most of our pa and use that for guitar signal instead of backline amplification.

For the weeks leading up the gig, I was feverishly trying to dial patches, checking on different systems due to not being able to access our pa at the time. (our rehearsal space is 45km's from home).

Thought I had it dialled in on flat response speakers, only to find out they are not flat response, tried power amp input on my amp and got a great sound but it sounded like crap through the pa when I eventually got to use it.

Eventually, a week before the first gig, we rehearsed, just the monitor part of our pa setup (no FOH) and I was starting to get happier and closer to "my sound" with my tweaking.

Never actually got to run it through the full pa until soundcheck for the first gig with it. Was crapping myself thinking it was not gonna work. Took my amp and pedals as backup if I needed to swap over quickly. Was very paranoid it would all backfire.

Plugged in, setup gain and flat eq on my mixer channel, rolled up volume - WOW.

Shouldn't have worried. All my research, questions and answers I've received, and my own intuition about this unit have paid off in a big way.

After our the first gig with it, I had a lineup of people wanting to ask about my tone. I was so happy with my sound.

I had it running just left xlr to desk, and 1/4 out to a 12inch powered monitor behind me and coming back at my face through my pa monitor.

Next time I use it though I will leave the powered monitor out of the setup and literally only use the pa. Actually if I recall, during the third set I may have actually turned the powered monitor off altogether.

Have used it at rehearsal since, flawlessly, and I have a huge gig coming up on Saturday night at a big function centre for a multiple business Christmas Show performance. I intend to use the HD500X in exactly the same way, and I can't wait for showtime to hear it through a big pa again.

Genuinely stoked with how this unit performs for me with my gear, and thank you for all the answers to my questions.

• Upvote 1

G'day mate :)  Gotta love it when things come together nicely ...

Been using an HD500 and then graduated to the X since roll out and am very pleased with it's simplicity and sound. I generally wear IEM's but I definately prefer the sound through wedges. 

Glad to hear things went so well.  I too went to the Line 6 floor boards to simplify live setup as and lugging equipment.  I have been using an HD500 now HD500x directly through the PA for my cover band for years now. When I am not running the sound for the band from stage I have also gotten a lot of compliments from venue sound guys on the sound and simpicity of setup.  I have another project which is an original prog band where the entire guitar sound was recorded from the HD500.  The great thing about it I don't have to worry at all about recreating my sound live.

Last night's Christmas Show went really well....Just awesome tone, huge PA, my powered monitor behind me, and some more of me in my foldback monitor in front of me.

Stoked with this unit.

Yep, will gladly share my patches....just give me a day or two to get them out of the pod, and then i'll throw them up here..

Stay tuned...

^ Studio / Direct output mode, and all I did was run an xlr from the left out, to the stage DI/Multicore that feeds the mixing desk at the end of the room.

xlr from the right output, to my powered speaker behind me on stage, and then got the sound guy to put my sound back through my foldback monitor in front of me.

Simple as.

My patches are pretty simple though. Basically just an amp/mic/cab, with a noise gate, a comp, a wah and a dirt box in front of amp, a delay behind it, maybe a modulation, and then reverb. My boost is the fx loop trick set to +3db. Occasionally i'll also incorporate a pitch bend (black keys, lonely boy intro) or the octo reverb fx for a synthy vibe for Mr Brightside or something like that....

I don't have a lot of weird lollipop going on.....others would no doubt need different things from their units but my band is basically a rock/pop cover band so it's all pretty straightforward.

What i will say before i get to actually uploading my patches, is that i have found some of the most amazing tones have come from the least obvious amp choices sometimes. 

My band does a few AC/DC and Bon Jovi songs for example......so you'd automatically go for a big Marshall, or Soldano type model yeah?? But i've found for my particular application, the amp model i use a lot for dirt is one of the VOX models. I think it could be the 15, or the 30 bright channel?? Was quite surprised by that..

But anyway, ill hopefully have time when i get home tonight to upload my patches. 

Hi all,

i've tried to upload the 3 patches i used the other night at my gig, as promised, but i keep getting a message saying i don't have permission to upload that type of file.....not sure why.

anyway, if someone knows what the issue with this is please let me know. Its just the generic files from HD Edit...

Otherwise, pm me your email and i'll send you the patches that way.

Cheers,

bignath

i'm actually pretty good with computers in general, but i've never actually 'zipped' anything....

how do i go about doing that? can i do it with Windows installed programs somewhere, or do i need to download a third party software to do it?

Cheers,

bignath

sorry for making my question on this forum, but i got a doubt:

i plan on running my pod hd direct to pa and use my marshall combo for monitoring purposes.

It is possible to send my signal via the xlr to pa on studio/direct and at the same time feed my amps fx loop  return on combo power amp mode?

sorry for making my question on this forum, but i got a doubt:

i plan on running my pod hd direct to pa and use my marshall combo for monitoring purposes.

It is possible to send my signal via the xlr to pa on studio/direct and at the same time feed my amps fx loop  return on combo power amp mode?

As far as i know, no it isn't possible, but would be awesome if it was.

To the best of my knowledge, you can only set the POD's output mode to one setting for all outputs. You can't split the mode so the xlr's have a different setting to the 1/4 inch outs.

It MIGHT be possible to set your patches up with a dual amp setup, one signal chain is eq'd and sounds appropriate for the pa, and then the other signal chain more appropriately tailored for a guitar amp, but im not sure 100% about this.

If i'm wrong about this, please feel free to correct me. Or if in fact there is a way to do what the quote i'm replying to is asking, please let me know...

My workaround for this has been to use a smallish (but crazy loud) behringer powered pa wedge as my stage monitor behind me (like an amp). It's a good speaker and does a great job of reproducing what the pa gets as its a pa speaker and not voiced for guitar specifically. There are way better options out there for the same application but i also use this speaker for pa applications and bass guitar monitoring too, so i don't feel the need to upgrade drastically at this point.

I also get the sound guy to send my pa signal back through my vocal monitor at my feet on stage. This setup works well for me.

At smaller gigs, i'll leave the behringer at home and just get my stage sound from my vocal wedge.

• Upvote 1

Thanks....

I will look at the not so obvious amps, I guess I am still getting to much fiz in the overdrive/gain patches that I have created.Look forward to your patches!

P

If you are getting too much "fizz" you may have a setting wrong. Are your outputs set correctly (studio/direct; amp combo; etc...) for the rig you are using? Also if you are using PRE models of some amps and running studio/direct it can be a little harsh. Try the FULL models in this case.

If you are getting too much "fizz" you may have a setting wrong. Are your outputs set correctly (studio/direct; amp combo; etc...) for the rig you are using? Also if you are using PRE models of some amps and running studio/direct it can be a little harsh. Try the FULL models in this case.

I use full models, studio direct out....... Still playing with setting to dial out any unwanted fizz. Any suggestions ?

To reduce fizz, try:

-lower IN-Z settings per preset to roll off some highs b4 distortion devices.

-less preamp gain and keep the amp presence and treble down a bit, boost the midrange and rely more on amp distortion.

- a LP filter eq to roll off highs b4 the amp or even b4 distortion boxes.

-Dyn 57 and other other Dyn mics have a ~4-6kHz presence boost.  Try the Rbn mics, or the 67 and 87 Cond.

Glad to hear the gigs went well.  As well as extra cabling, you might consider getting a second HD500X PSU.  If the one you have breaks b4 or at a gig, you will have no backup.  Of course, always plug into a surge protector.

As far as i know, no it isn't possible, but would be awesome if it was.

To the best of my knowledge, you can only set the POD's output mode to one setting for all outputs. You can't split the mode so the xlr's have a different setting to the 1/4 inch outs.

It MIGHT be possible to set your patches up with a dual amp setup, one signal chain is eq'd and sounds appropriate for the pa, and then the other signal chain more appropriately tailored for a guitar amp, but im not sure 100% about this.

If i'm wrong about this, please feel free to correct me. Or if in fact there is a way to do what the quote i'm replying to is asking, please let me know...

My workaround for this has been to use a smallish (but crazy loud) behringer powered pa wedge as my stage monitor behind me (like an amp). It's a good speaker and does a great job of reproducing what the pa gets as its a pa speaker and not voiced for guitar specifically. There are way better options out there for the same application but i also use this speaker for pa applications and bass guitar monitoring too, so i don't feel the need to upgrade drastically at this point.

I also get the sound guy to send my pa signal back through my vocal monitor at my feet on stage. This setup works well for me.

At smaller gigs, i'll leave the behringer at home and just get my stage sound from my vocal wedge.

thanks for your answer.

I´m looking this powered monitor: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/electro-voice-zlx-12p-12-2-way-powered-loudspeaker

I guess i just have to plug my pod (via 1/4 or xlr) on it and it will work right?  does the pod have the capacity of "driving" this speaker?

That EV PA looks a like a quality piece.  Just use either Pod line level out set to direct/line.  I don't think the XLR outs sum to mono like the 1/4" outs do.  1000 Watts!  My ears hurt just thinking about it.  Plenty of headroom, anyway.  We used ~200 watts to power the whole stage monitor system back in the 80's.  Make sure you plug into a surge suppressor, or preferably a power conditioner.  I don't trust Class D amps.  Use the same outlet for each piece in your rig so you don't get ground loops.

• Upvote 1

That EV PA looks a like a quality piece.  Just use either Pod line level out set to direct/line.  I don't think the XLR outs sum to mono like the 1/4" outs do.  1000 Watts!  My ears hurt just thinking about it.  Plenty of headroom, anyway.  We used ~200 watts to power the whole stage monitor system back in the 80's.  Make sure you plug into a surge suppressor, or preferably a power conditioner.  I don't trust Class D amps.  Use the same outlet for each piece in your rig so you don't get ground loops.

thanks a lot man. Maybe i´m shooting to high with this EV? what coul be other options? my only request is that it let me do some eq...

thanks a lot man. Maybe i´m shooting to high with this EV? what coul be other options? my only request is that it let me do some eq...

Yeah, you want some master eq for the environment you play in.  My only other suggestion would be a Bose L(x) line array system, but they are more expensive.  You might save some money with something else, but the EV looks worth it. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, you want some master eq for the environment you play in.  My only other suggestion would be a Bose L(x) line array system, but they are more expensive.  You might save some money with something else, but the EV looks worth it. 

thanks... i guess this would be a cheaper alternative to the stagesource thing

Frankly, I don't agree with the philosophy of the Stagesource thing.  If your presets sound as intended through a full range system, which they should if tweaked right, they should sound right through a semi-full range monitor.  There should be no need for  monitor eqing other than getting it to sound relatively flat from where you are situated.  Bass on the EV's should be adequate for guitar.  You might just boost like ~2-2.5kHz and/or ~4-5kHz a little to increase intelligibility if needed.  They should allow something like that.

• Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting on OP to upload the patches B)

Nick, I guess he's pretty busy with the holidays.  :)

Sure would make a great New Year's gift though, wouldn't it?

Hi fellas,

nah not too busy....just waiting for those that were interested to pm me their email address and i'll send them on. 

As per post #13, i'm still having trouble with zipping my patches to this site. For some reason my computer fails to successfully load them up here, hence the offer to just email them until I find out what the conflict is.

Happy to email them to you if you like.

Cheers,

Nath

Hey i'm happy to see a successful story about using the pod direct with the PA!
In my past experiences i had problem with that setup, the sound of every patch was very harsh and cold, plus the sound coming from the speaker monitor was even worst.
Maybe my PA does not have a flat response or the monitors are crap.
Anyway i bought a tube amp (laney cub12 r) that is miced, and i solved all the problems. I use it through the fx loop, i can use my amp preamp or the full amp simulation, the tone is very similar to the one i tweak with headphones on.
The amp act as a monitor also and i feel the "thump" of the amp, the warmth of the tubes and i'm really satisfied.

Unfortunately i cannot use stereo fxs but i will try someday to mix both xlr output and the signal coming from the microphone of the amp.

Have tried to upload them to custometone, although they don't seem to appear when I search for them. I'm guessing it takes a few minutes or so for them to show up on the site??

I definitely uploaded two of the three, and when I pushed upload on the third patch my computer did some crazy lollipop and didn't see the confirmation screen so not sure if it went up ok.

If you're interested in my tones, search my username, and if in a few days time there are only two patches, i'll re-upload the third patch.

any problems let me know.

Oh, and all patches are designed around the f/s 5-8 mode, as some of the patches have extra gain stages on buttons 5 and 6.

Cheers,

bignath

Yep, I see them in Customtone when I search for 'bignath' so it looks like it worked.

And thanks for eMailing them directly.  I had to turn the FX Loop off in order to get the one to work fine but they all sounded pretty good.  The Triple Drive has some potential for me, I'll mess with that one some.  

Anyway, thanks again, bignath!