Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Swapping sounds from other Line 6 Effects Units

Oggyswain

Hi I noticed there are a lot of patches for songs on the other effects units that Line 6 have i.e. Lenny Kravitz "Are you going to go my way"

They even have Multiple patches for lead, Harmonized guitar, Middle 8, etc.

Is there a way of reading the info from these files so I have a starting point for getting the sound on the Helix?

I'm new to the Helix so creating tones are not my forte, just yet.

Thanks

I'd love to tell you that this approach will work, but it won't...99% of the time, downloading patches for the unit you actually own is an exercise in futility given the Gospel-length list of variables from one rig to another. And trying to duplicate settings from an entirely different unit, with different modeling algorithms, is an even bigger waste of time...it guarantees absolutely nothing in terms of tonal continuity. It's a non-starter.

I have a Helix Floor. I DL'd from Customtone a preset from the HX Stomp section and one from the HX Effects section. Neither would import to my Helix (verifies what cruisinon2 said), nor would they import to Native. I don't think there's any other way to see preset settings than HX Edit or Native.

It's my understanding that the current Helix "Core" makeover, which standardizes the internals between platforms, will make this possible in future updates.

Not sure if it will be working in 2.8, maybe by 3.0?

5 hours ago, rd2rk said:

I have a Helix Floor. I DL'd from Customtone a preset from the HX Stomp section and one from the HX Effects section. Neither would import to my Helix (verifies what cruisinon2 said), nor would they import to Native. I don't think there's any other way to see preset settings than HX Edit or Native.

It's my understanding that the current Helix "Core" makeover, which standardizes the internals between platforms, will make this possible in future updates.

Not sure if it will be working in 2.8, maybe by 3.0?

Well when he said "other effects units", I assumed he was trying to reverse engineer Customtone patches for other units outside the Helix family.... while you might not be able to load a Stomp patch into Helix floor (currently, anyway), if he wants to reconstruct a Stomp patch block by block for Helix floor, or vice versa... those should theoretically sound the same, as its all the same platform. But trying to copy POD settings to Helix one by one, for example, would be a complete waste of time.

31 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Well when he said "other effects units", I assumed he was trying to reverse engineer Customtone patches for other units outside the Helix family.... while you might not be able to load a Stomp patch into Helix floor (currently, anyway), if he wants to reconstruct a Stomp patch block by block for Helix floor, or vice versa... those should theoretically sound the same, as its all the same platform.

He said he has a Helix, but wasn't exactly clear which model, or what "on the other effects units that Line 6 have" means. He could be talking about Firehawk presets!

I couldn't find the Lenny Kravitz preset he mentioned on Customtone. Factory preset maybe?

If he has a Floor, and wants to recreate a Stomp preset, wouldn't he need a Stomp connected to HX Edit to be able to see the settings? That's why I tried a Stomp preset in HX Edit (connected to my Floor), and both Stomp and Floor presets in Native. He's got to be able to see the settings in the one to recreate it in the other.

Would be nice if HX Edit didn't require a HW unit to be connected in order to load/edit a preset.

I think this might be a job for YouTube! Time to Learn How to make presets from scratch! 

Yes, I have a Helix Floor, When I look for Lenny Kravitz without selecting a unit. It came with various parts of the song. I thought I might be able to import. No luck it was a very old line 6 unit.

Anyway, I'll figure it out. Thanks for all the suggestions.