Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V30 Amp Won't Load Beyond "Line 6" Boot Screen

Snyderart

Hello L6 Community,

My Spider V30 amp and Spider Remote software (PC) froze after loading a previously saved preset from my PC into the amp. The amp won't boot up and is stuck on the "Line 6" boot screen. The Spider Remote software will not connect either. For troubleshooting, since I can't get past the "Line 6" boot screen, I was able to update the drivers to the latest 1.91 version by holding the "AMP" and "FX" buttons on startup and then used the online Line 6 Updater Tool. Since I have a feeling a corrupted preset file caused this, I'd like to do a factory reset however, I cannot get to a factory reset option because the amp will not load beyond the "Line 6" boot screen!

Is there a way to "cold boot" the amp (by holding a button (or combination of buttons on power up) to do a factory reset from there?

Thank you.

I believe (i may be wrong) but I do not think so,  That you can not download to th amp unless you have power on the amp. Can you acess the Home button at all?  Have you tried a different power cable to the amp?  You mentioned the softwate was stuck on LINE 6......check the Line 6 down load support to se if you can  reload the default factory software and over ride/erase the corrupted files ,,,if that is the problem.  I am not really familiar with the Spider ll....Make a call to the Line 6 support.....The support team for US customers can be reached at 818-575-3600 (option 2), 8am – 12pm & 1pm – 4pm Mon-Fri Pacific Time. Our busiest hours are from 11am to 2 pm..

2 hours ago, Hankon6 said:

I believe (i may be wrong) but I do not think so,  That you can not download to th amp unless you have power on the amp. Can you acess the Home button at all?  Have you tried a different power cable to the amp?  You mentioned the softwate was stuck on LINE 6......check the Line 6 down load support to se if you can  reload the default factory software and over ride/erase the corrupted files ,,,if that is the problem.  I am not really familiar with the Spider ll....Make a call to the Line 6 support.....The support team for US customers can be reached at 818-575-3600 (option 2), 8am – 12pm & 1pm – 4pm Mon-Fri Pacific Time. Our busiest hours are from 11am to 2 pm..

Hankon6,

Thanks for responding. The amp does get power however it stays on the "Line 6" intro screen that first comes up when the amp turns on. The presets never load and it stays on the intro screen. I was able to get into a bypass "update mode" by holding in the "Amp" and "FX" button while powering the amp on. In the process, of trying different button combination while powering on, I've found other "features". Here's a list:

• Holding in the "Home" and "Amp" buttons brings up the firmware updater. I was able to update the amp to latest firmware (1.91) using the Line 6 Updater through this screen.
  • Holding in the "Tap" button brings up something called "I0P S&Q" which is a bunch of what I guess are factory checks. You can check to make sure all of the LED lights work, check all of the buttons, check all of the knob pots, etc...
  • Holding in the "Home" and "FX" buttons brings up "Factory Test Mode Version 1.01.1", but it does nothing after that or I haven't figured out how to start factory test mode from there. My guess is that it is for someone at the factory to plug something into the USB and run a diagnostics on the amp.
  • Holding in the "Home" and "Amp" buttons brings up a screen "SEND RESCUE FILE - Rescue Ver 1.01.1". I have a feeling that this has something to do with sending a backup file to the amp by USB, but I have no idea how. I tried the Line 6 Updater while this screen was on and the Updater didn't recognize the amp.

After figuring out these different menus through trial and error holding in different buttons, I wasn't sure if there wasn't a way to hold in a particular button (or button combination) to bring up a "Factory Reset" screen since I can't past the "Line 6" startup screen when turning on the amp.

I submitted a support ticket.

Thanks for your reply!

20190305_190246.jpg

20190305_190349.jpg

20190305_190450.jpg

20190305_192350.jpg

20190305_193039.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It seems a full software erase and reinstall needs to be done.........It may be that you will have to have it done at the factory as Pacemaker100 asserted. I know that it is not what you wanted to hear ...but it will be the best possible means of completely checking out the amp! I know the shipping cost are a bit much...but....you will have a real nice amp when all is said and done.....Best pf luck my friend!!! Let me know when it is playable again and your impressions...I know you will enjoy it alot!

On 3/21/2019 at 8:07 PM, Hankon6 said:

It seems a full software erase and reinstall needs to be done.........It may be that you will have to have it done at the factory as Pacemaker100 asserted. I know that it is not what you wanted to hear ...but it will be the best possible means of completely checking out the amp! I know the shipping cost are a bit much...but....you will have a real nice amp when all is said and done.....Best pf luck my friend!!! Let me know when it is playable again and your impressions...I know you will enjoy it alot!

Line 6 was excellent and wanted to replace the amp if I paid half the shipping cost, even though it was out of their 1-year warranty. My experience with their customer service was excellent! Very helpful. Luckily, I had purchased an extended 2-year warranty on it so the store I bought it from took care of it. I've since received a reimbursement for the cost of the amp and will be on my way to purchase another one. I loved that amp! It was perfect for my needs. I'm not sure why it gets so much bad smack-talk on YouTube and the Web. For what it does, it's a good amp and I got some good sounds out of it. I went through and replaced all of the factory presets with each amp model tweaked (without effects) for the best sound. If you really dig around and mess with the noise gate, tones, and cab microphone settings, you can get some decent tones just from the amp models without the effects. Then, went in an added effects to those tweaked amps. Thankfully, all of those presets I created are saved on my PC and I can load those back into the new amp when I get it. Thanks for everyone's help on this.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi just an update here

1- repair team has no idea what a `rescue file` is.

2- They simply told they don't fix this, just replace if it is under warranty. They are basically saying they can't factory reset. Which means in practice, I  should throw the amp away. 

Such a disappointment. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issue on my V60, the sub DSP board I'm told is faulty.

the replacement cost quoted is £157 - far more than its worth

i wonder if anyone knows if this sub PCB for the DSP is the same (interchangeable) as the V20 or V40 ?

(I would buy a V20 cheap for the board)

since the control software and download are the same ??

cheers Steve 

• 5 months later...

For what it's worth, my Spider v 120 was stuck on the logo screen. I tried everything but nothing worked until I turned off amp and held the amp and fx buttons at the same time while turning on the amp. Surprisingly, the screen said ready for update, so I started the Line6 installer. Now the V 120 was now selectable, where it was not every other time I tried to access it from the installer. I selected the V 120 and then selected the update that was listed. After the update the amp works fine.