Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-59 pricing

I’ve been shopping for a variax and am a bit confused about the JTV-59 pricing and availability. Sweetwater has them listed for $1199, but the website says “new item” and they’re out of stock. AMS has them for $999. Was there a recent change in these that would warrant a $200 price difference? Also, I’m considering a standard as well. Is the build quality much different in the two? I would rather have the Strat style, but it seems that with only a $100 price difference in the two that I might be better off with the JTV. Any JTV-69’s I can find are $1199.

Not sure about pricing....I tried both, and went for a JTV. the standard had a flat fretboard that was ok for chording, but was impossible to bend strings for soloing...the JTV69 is better IMHO plus the 5 way Stat pickup selector is more convenient for switching between models, than the JTV59

I prefer fixed bridge JTV59 is the only choice.  I know, it’s possible to setup and lock vibrato bridges but I’m not a fan of springs countering string tension for my style of playing.  I want strings tugging on wood not coil springs.  

59 uses 24-9/16” scale length so if you’re exclusive to 25.5” that might be a downer.  3 way toggle vs 5 way blade switching is no issue here.  

Many like the magnetic 59 hum buckers as I do.  Modeling provides Fender’ish spank & boink.  

59 prices have recently climbed IMO.  Line6 clearance store had em priced about $840 couple weeks ago.  Now they’re $960.  But you do get warranty from mothership….

I just checked - Line6 store also has refurbished 69's for $960 - 

https://shop.line6.com/hardware/guitars/?cat=235

That Lake Placid Blue looks sweet.

On 3/6/2019 at 10:37 AM, tmntshredder said:

I’ve been shopping for a variax and am a bit confused about the JTV-59 pricing and availability. Sweetwater has them listed for $1199, but the website says “new item” and they’re out of stock. AMS has them for $999. Was there a recent change in these that would warrant a $200 price difference? Also, I’m considering a standard as well. Is the build quality much different in the two? I would rather have the Strat style, but it seems that with only a $100 price difference in the two that I might be better off with the JTV. Any JTV-69’s I can find are $1199.

Well, first, Sweetwater always seems the pricier to me.  The thing to keep in mind though is what the manufacture's suggested retail value is. Sweetwater says it's $1,678 and AMS claims it's $1,400 so umm . . . errr . . . honestly the difference there is a bit of a WTF. 

Now, if you're comparing the build quality of the Variax STANDARD (MSRP $1260 at AMS) with the JTV I personally think the JTV has a higher quality. It's supposed to. That's part of the point of the JTV line. That isn't to say the Standard is bad, though. I went for the JTV though, which tells you where I fall. 

If you want a strat style guitar that is intended to compare in quality to the JTV-59 then what you want is the JTV-69. 

Thank you for all of your help, guys! I just took the leap and ordered a JTV-59 from AMS. They knocked some money off too, which sweetened the deal even more. As much as I wanted the Strat style, I couldn’t bring myself to go with a standard or pay significantly more for a JTV-69. I’m super excited to try this out. I think it’s going to make a huge difference in my live performances!

When comparing prices, don’t forget to include the value of service provided.  Since Sweetwater includes a 2 year warranty, it adds to what you receive.  Especially with the electronic components of the Variax, I think it increases the value of the purchase. 

It it took me a while to figure this out, but trust me that a bad experience with another MAJOR retailer convinced me.  Good luck...

16 hours ago, tmntshredder said:

Thank you for all of your help, guys! I just took the leap and ordered a JTV-59 from AMS. They knocked some money off too, which sweetened the deal even more. As much as I wanted the Strat style, I couldn’t bring myself to go with a standard or pay significantly more for a JTV-69. I’m super excited to try this out. I think it’s going to make a huge difference in my live performances!

I love mine. Ultimately, when it comes to the guitar modelling (the reason you buy a Variax) the two guitars sound identical despite how different they look, and they can both sound like a strat, which is pretty cool.

You'll have to let us know what you think of it. 

10 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

I love mine. Ultimately, when it comes to the guitar modelling (the reason you buy a Variax) the two guitars sound identical despite how different they look, and they can both sound like a strat, which is pretty cool.

You'll have to let us know what you think of it. 

I will for sure. It’s supposed to be here tomorrow. I forgot to order the VDI cable, so I’ll have to wait for that before I can fully use it with my Helix.