Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Stomp + MC6 Midi talk

ride85

Hey guys,

I’ve just programmed the Morningstar MC6 to turn on blocks + a dedicated Tuner.

I’m saving the footswitches on the Helix itself for 3 snapshots for instant preset tones with certain blocks turned on.

My problem is when i turn a snapshot on using the Helix itself, the on/off status of the blocks doesn’t change on the MC6...

Anyway to solve this? I am wondering whether a 2nd midi cable out of the Helix and into MC6 will allow the Helix to tell the MC6 of any block on/off status changes so the midi messages run both ways..

Hope this isn’t a confusing question :/

Thanks!

I haven’t personally tried this with my MC6, but the second cable would be the only way I could imagine achieving that status update. If possible, you may want to see if you can reduce down to a single source for the snapshot selection. 

You can try a second cable, but if that doesn't work my guess (from a quick look at the MC6 manual) would be that communication with the MC6 is one-way. For example, using Helix Stomps set to send Toggling CCs, I can control the Effects in TH3, and the Helix LEDs will correlate with the Effect status in TH3. BUT, if I turn ON or OFF an effect manually within TH3, the Helix footswitch will not reflect that change.

You're using the MC6 as a controller for the Helix, so as long as you make changes FROM the MC6, you're good, but changes made at the Helix will not be communicated to the MC6, UNLESS you configure the Helix to send messages to the MC6 (thus using the Helix as a controller for the MC6), which would be pointless, and probably cause a LOOP - that would be VERY BAD!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies!

It would seem that this is just an impractical way to run the mc6...if the helix can’t communicate back block changes back to mc6..

i just re-programmed the mc6 to trigger snapshots instead and now use the stomp for 3 blocks. If i need more blocks i could throw my fs7 back on the board!

very flexible unit, i love it

• Like 1