Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Stomp - midi commands to scroll up + down presets?

ride85

Yep, AFAIK with MIDI there is no increment / decrement program change; external MIDI footswitches / controllers that allow this keep track of what program you have selected, and in response to scrolling up or down on the *pedal* send the adjusted program number to the Stomp.

1 hour ago, ride85 said:

Hey guys,

Anybody know the midi commands for scrolling up + down through presets?

I can’t seem to find that info in the Helix stomp manual?

thanks!

You can kind of do it. Set the FS4 and FS5 to be preset scroll up and down, and then have the midi controller mimick FS4 and FS5.

OR

You can send midi commands for changing which mode you are in (stomp, snapshot, OR preset) and then have your midi controller have buttons for FS1, FS2, or FS3 and tap those to scroll through.  Once you've selected it, stomp the midi command to go back to either stomp mode or snapshot mode and play it out as intended. 

I mean, perhaps it's not perfect, but it gets you close. 

Your 2nd idea seems like a good option for me!

I’ve set up dedicated switches up on the midi controller for both stomp mode & preset modes. This is actually a better system anyway! Once in preset mode i can scroll through banks on the helix to quickly access even more presets :)

43 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

You can kind of do it. Set the FS4 and FS5 to be preset scroll up and down, and then have the midi controller mimick FS4 and FS5.

Just tried that (using FS1/7 - the actual Preset Up/Down buttons). Doesn't work. Tried with Toggling and Momentary, no dice.

I guess OP tried method 2 and it worked for him, so nice call!

4 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Just tried that (using FS1/7 - the actual Preset Up/Down buttons). Doesn't work. Tried with Toggling and Momentary, no dice.

I guess OP tried method 2 and it worked for him, so nice call!

That's weird ... it works with an external footswitch so I can't fathom why having the the midi controller sending FS4 and FS5 wouldn't function just as an external controller does.

What DOES it do?!

2 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

That's weird ... it works with an external footswitch so I can't fathom why having the the midi controller sending FS4 and FS5 wouldn't function just as an external controller does.

What DOES it do?!

In order to have it work on all presets, you'd need it to use the actual Preset scroll pedals (FS1/7). I'm guessing you're using FS4/5 by setting them in the preset from Command Center, which would require setting it up in EVERY preset. Maybe workable, but LOTS of tedious work!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kevin-M said:

Sounds like the Tech21 MIDI mouse would fit your needs....that’s basically all it does. 

YES! Nice find! Only flaw would be no Bank Change ability.

• 1 year later...

You can work around the missing CC messages for bank up/down by switching into scroll mode and emulate FS1/2 respectively and then switch back into stomp mode.

This is what I'm using on my Midi-Muppet HX 

// HX stomp does not have a native patch up/dn midi command
// so we are switching to scroll mode and emulating a FS1/2
// button press.
void patchUp() {
  midiCtrlChange(71, 1); // HX scroll mode
  delay(30);
  midiCtrlChange(50, 127); // FS 2 (up)
  midiCtrlChange(71, 0);  // HX stomp mode
}

void patchDown() {
  midiCtrlChange(71, 1);   // HX scroll mode
  delay(30);
  midiCtrlChange(49, 127); // FS 1 (down)
  midiCtrlChange(71, 0);   // HX stomp mode
}
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

There is a way to scroll through presets using MIDI, and without having to enter the Scroll Mode on the HX Stomp or having to emulate FS1 and FS2 on your controller.

But in order to do this you have to get a MIDI controller capable of sending PC messages, not just the regular CC messages.

I successfuly use a Morningstar MC8 to do it, and here is how:

A) On your HX Stomp (I don't know if these steps are obligatory, but I thought they made sense with the MIDI comands described below):

1) Go to the Preferences Page under the Global Settings Menu on your HX Stomp.

2) Set the preset number scheme to 000-125 instead of A-B-C banks.

B) Then go to your MIDI controller and program it like this:

1) Choose one footswitch to use it as both Preset UP and Preset Scroll UP. This way you can go up through your presets one at a time with a single footswitch tap, or scroll through them continuously by holding down the same footswitch. 

Message 1

Action: Release
Type: PC Scroll Up (Deprecated)

Slot: 0

Lower Limit: 0

Upper Limit: 125

Increment: Yes

Message 2

Action: Long Press Scroll
Type: PC Scroll Up (Deprecated)

Increment: Yes

2) Choose one footswitch to use it as both Preset Down and Preset Scroll Down. This way you can go up through your presets one at a time with a single footswitch tap, or scroll through them continuously by holding down the same footswitch. 

Message 1

Action: Release
Type: PC Scroll Down (Deprecated)

Decrement: Yes

Message 2

Action: Long Press Scroll
Type: PC Scroll Down (Deprecated)

Decrement: Yes

Those are the settings available to me with my MC8, but I don't know if they will be available on all MIDI controllers, so it's up to you guys to find out!

Good luck!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi - I am trying to switch from using a rock stomp 2 button footswitch with the hx to dusting off my old midi mouse to change HX presets (so that I can use an expression pedal for volume, etc. on the Hx stomp).

It works well, but hx doesn't respond to the midi mouse on 128, 127 (and maybe 126).   Not a huge deal ( I can reorganize HX presets), but just making sure this is 'normal' - I did see the post that on the newer morningstar unit, there's a way to set the range so that it only goes to 125... I assume to avoid this blank spot on the HX?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Anyone else want to see an update to offer a 3rd option of 001-126 in addition to 000-125 and 01A-42C in the “preset number” menu of “global settings?”  Either that or some sort of program change command offset. It would be so much easier to manage set lists with other pedals if I didn’t have to do math each time. ;-)