Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Clanging sound on JTC89F

Hello everybody, got possibly a newbee question here...

I just got a new JTV89F and in all the models there is this terrible "clanging" noise, it's a ringing clang, it's worse on the wound strings, the low E being the worst, between frets 1-7 on the low E being the absolute worst, it's so bad there that the actual note the string is making i barely audible.

This only happens on the models, the magnetic pickups are absolutely fine, either from the 1/4 inch or the CAT5 link cable. Tried raising the bridge as high as it would go to troubleshoot if maybe the strings were fretting, though it sounded just fine with the mag pickups, but nothing, the "clang" is still there.

PS> this is not the same "palm muting" issue people talk about, like I said, the noise is so bad that the note itself is barely audible

26 minutes ago, marvio said:

Hello everybody, got possibly a newbee question here...

I just got a new JTV89F and in all the models there is this terrible "clanging" noise, it's a ringing clang, it's worse on the wound strings, the low E being the worst, between frets 1-7 on the low E being the absolute worst, it's so bad there that the actual note the string is making i barely audible.

This only happens on the models, the magnetic pickups are absolutely fine, either from the 1/4 inch or the CAT5 link cable. Tried raising the bridge as high as it would go to troubleshoot if maybe the strings were fretting, though it sounded just fine with the mag pickups, but nothing, the "clang" is still there.

PS> this is not the same "palm muting" issue people talk about, like I said, the noise is so bad that the note itself is barely audible

Try reflashing your firmware. Sine it is new, if this won't help, sent it back for a new.

Make sure the piezo pickups are well seated in the bridge pieces and there's no dirt around them. Then make sure there's nothing else vibrating that might be getting picked up in the piezo pickups. Variax sensitive to anything that changes the pressure on those pickups. Any rattles are likely to cause a problem. 

Welcome to the wonderful world of "piezo plink". The are a thousand threads in here discussing this problem... including one rather infamous one that's endured for years. Bottom line is that some guitars suffer from this problem and others don't. And nobody, including L6, has ever been able to come up with a satisfactory explanation as to why... in fact, they formally declared in that other epic thread, that they're no longer devoting resources to figuring it out.

You may be able to mitigate it somewhat with a good set-up, no fret buzz (really none...the typical amount of fret rattle that you'd never notice with mag pickups will stick out like a turd in a punchbowl with piezos), and dampening sympathetic vibration behind the nut, at the trem springs, etc... but don't expect miracles. If the guitar is new, the path of least resistance is returning it for another one.

Thanks Everybody for your response, I didn't have notifications on so I didn't know anybody had :)

Returning the guitar huh? I bought it at Sweetwater, not the easiest thing to do.. I found a certified tech near me, talked to Line6, I think I'm going to take it to him?

But just before I do, where would the Piezo's be on a Floyd guitar?

Again, thanks everybody!

10 hours ago, marvio said:

I bought it at Sweetwater, not the easiest thing to do..

Actually, returning things to Sweetwater is almost easier than buying them...I had to return a recent purchase to them a just a couple of weeks ago. They had the replacement out the door the same day I contacted them, including with it a prepaid return label for the the busted item. Their customer service is excellent, and they're very responsive to issues with defective gear. As long as you're within their 30 day return period, you can return anything, for any reason, even if you just don't like the thing. It's why I buy almost everything from them at this point... and for the record, I have no affiliation with them whatsoever, just a happy customer.