Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stop the hair!

marvio

Hello everybody,

I have recently purchased a Helix, two of them in fact, one floor board for my dream rig, and a rack for my studio. Absolutely love the sounds, but just one thing....

I've gotten some really great overdriven tones out of it, but no matter what I do, which amp/OD stomp?cab/IR I choose, all my tones have a lot of hair on them! Don't get me wrong, I still love them, but sometimes I need some more rounded tones, I've heard them "out there" on Youtube, etc..

Of all things that was not a problem I had with my HD500 (which I still have and love)

Any tricks I'm missing? I have also tried to cut the Highs on cabs/IR's put an EQ at the end to no avail

Help!

To me "hair" mean both THD and guitar speaker uneven frequency response in upper midrange. I had opportunity to hear very same speaker with PA (flat) cone and ribbed cone. IMO ribbed cone is responsible for that narrow upper midrange hills and valleys. If you like bald or dread hairstyle you would rather look for bald speaker cones or IRs. ;)

15 hours ago, marvio said:

Of all things that was not a problem I had with my HD500 (which I still have and love)

That's interesting... because I could never dial out the hair/fizz on my HD500 (which I still own as a backup) but have no problems dealing with it on the Helix :)

1. Try different microphones...
  2. Try pulling the mic off the cabinet a few inches
  3. Try using some high cut on the cabinets but don't over do it. 

Check out this video for some interesting techniques on using the stock cabinets. 

• Like 1

I've become somewhat more aware of the great importance of getting the input gain right with Helix. With the guitar input pad off, some pickups are a wee bit too much imho, and you can get an unpleasant fizz in more overdriven tones. I've started to switch the guitar pad on and place a gain block right at the start of the signal chain. If - and only if - the guitar needs a boost, I increase gain carefully until it gets where it needs to be. This is always lower than the +5dB boost roughly equivalent to having the guitar pad off. Both amp drive and pedal drive sound better to my ears using this approach. It's *so* easy to end up with too much gain in the signal chain and it messes up your tones.

• Like 2

Thanks for all your replies!

I probably should explain it better :)

Hair, to me anyway, is not a bad thing at all, it's not high end fizz, or I guess it could be, but not in a bad way...

If I had to pick a real amp which is super "Hairy" but also great... The Orange Amps, for example. In contrast with an modern high gain tone like the engls , in general. Know what I mean?

Can we upload sample here? Let me see if I can do it....

Alright, I think I got this :)

The Hairy file was recorded from the Helix, direct into my DAW, I'm using a plexi model with a Hiwat IR. Obviously I expect this to be very "hairy", it's a plexi for crying out loud, but like I said, even choosing amps which are not supposed to be hairy I end up, pretty much, with this result

The second "not so hairy" file was recorded with real amps, a blue voodoo 300, a JSX, and a dual rec

As I understand it, when I hear "Hair" what I'm hearing are odd order harmonics, and the rounder/less hairy the sound there are more even order harmonics, does that make sense?

PS> Go easy on the performance, especially on the second one, those guys couldn't play in tempo if their lives depended on it, and I was always trying to play it in the middle to kinda try to "make it work"

Hairy.mp3

14 hours ago, marvio said:

I'm using a plexi model with a Hiwat IR. Obviously I expect this to be very "hairy", it's a plexi for crying out loud,

I never think of a Plexi as "hairy" so there we go... complete differences in opinions. I would think of the Plexi as a warmer amp, and a JCM 800 as a more "hairy" amp.  That said... your samples are what I would expect when you talk about hair, but I'm surprised you coaxed that type of a sound out of a Plexi model :)

IMO... most of this is can be corrected in cabinet/mic/position settings or IR choice. 

Can you share your plexi patch so I can get a closer look? If you used an IR please don't share it unless it's a free one.... just share the patch. I'll be changing out the cab or IR anyway. 

17 hours ago, marvio said:

PS> Go easy on the performance, especially on the second one, those guys couldn't play in tempo if their lives depended on it, and I was always trying to play it in the middle to kinda try to "make it work"

Hairy.mp3

Not_so_hairy.mp3

Hard to judge in context but if you share the guitar track alone gets easier. You have a couple things going on that I can tell: you have a lot of highs in the hairy track and not a lot of frequencies in the mid and lower end. You should make sounds with a graphic eq to see what that looks like, it's so much easier to make sounds that way. I use this:

https://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-q-3-equalizer-plug-in

just get the chart of what the spectrum looks like and then tweak, having visual feedback of what changes as you tweak makes everything faster and easier.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully you can see the attached image. The blue line is the "not hairy" mix while the red is the "hairy" mix. Do you happen to notice the "not hairy" mix has a huge peak at about 80-90hz then a steep roll off and basically nothing above 1k? That's why it sounds like there's a blanket over it. The "hairy" mix is similar, from 1k on down, but from 1k-5k it has a gigantic boost. Neither mix are a balanced frequency response by any means, but you may get "hairy" mix closer to the "not hairy" mix just by putting a lowpass filter at about 750hz.

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 10.30.59 PM.png

hmmm,

to my ears the 'not_so_hairy-mix' sounds just completely muffled and dull.

Just as sent through a low pass filter (as malhavoks frequency  response suggests) and nothing i would aim at.

I also had problems with an effect i would have named 'hair' - described and solved in ...

... but it sounded way different.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, malhavok said:

Hopefully you can see the attached image. The blue line is the "not hairy" mix while the red is the "hairy" mix. Do you happen to notice the "not hairy" mix has a huge peak at about 80-90hz then a steep roll off and basically nothing above 1k? That's why it sounds like there's a blanket over it. The "hairy" mix is similar, from 1k on down, but from 1k-5k it has a gigantic boost. Neither mix are a balanced frequency response by any means, but you may get "hairy" mix closer to the "not hairy" mix just by putting a lowpass filter at about 750hz.

Man, that "not so hairy" guitar would get completely lost in a live mix. The "hairy" guitar could use a a little low cut and it would probably sit nicely. OP, if the "not so hairy" tone is what what you're going for, just drop a LP filter at about 1.5kHZ, otherwise you'll lose all cut with other instruments. The recording doesn't sound overly "hairy" to me, but everyone has different ears. The "not so hairy" guitar frequency response looks like what I would expect at ear-level standing right in front of a 4x12. 

Indeed, this was the thinking behind my original post further above. 

One man's "too hairy" is another man's gorgeous Gaston. When I listened to the mixes, I actually preferred the hairy one. That's not to say I wouldn't tweak it slightly, but it felt like it had way more impact than the other one. BUT all the same, I could potentially see uses for both versions - it just depends on what the song calls for. 

That's why when discussing these things it's always more useful (to me) to be exact and specific about what you like or don't like, and compare it to the EQ graph which is what users did above. It's so easy to start to figure things out at that point. 

Gaston.jpg

11 hours ago, malhavok said:

That's the EQ of the overall production... not just the guitar tone. I get where you are going with it, but it's not what the guitar is doing. 

It would mean a lot more if we had the isolated guitar tracks to hear.... 

What bothers me about both mixes, is the sorely lacking midrange around 500.... both lines look like a giant loudness switch to me. 

21 minutes ago, codamedia said:

What bothers me about both mixes, is the sorely lacking midrange around 500.... 

That's what's referred to in the biz as a "receding hair line!"

Ha ha ha I'm so punny . . .

DAMN . . . I need the weekend to get here fast. 

• Haha 1

Wow! Thanks so much everybody! Lots to think about here! :)

I hear you all when you are talking about EQ, and their curves, it can definitely have an effect, and it's true the "not so hairy" sample has a lot less highs, absolutely, but if I may try to explain myself a little further? :)

1- I was by no means saying the "hairy" sample was bad, quite the contrary, I love that tone

2- When I think of "hair", I'm not listening to EQ at all, in my ears at least, one can have a very "hairy" tone which is very dark. Hairy, to me, or at least what I'm referring to, is the very gain type structure of the amp, regardless of how the EQ is set, again, obviously some of it can be helped by EQ , but the gain type/structure itself is still there.

That's why I mentioned an Orange as an example of a Hairy amp, that gain structure has a lot of little "tentacles" sprouting off the original harmonics of the sound, if I had to visualize it, if you drew a perfect black circle, filled in, so in the end it's basically a big dot, the non hairy tone would be just that, that big black dot, whereas the hairy tone would have minuscule grey lines coming off of it.

Gah! need visual aid! Google to the rescue!

So if the perfect non hairy tone is a pure sine wave (which I know it's impossible with a driven tone), a hairy tone would be a super saw wave

PS> I don;t know why I posted the whole mix of the non hairy example, sorry , my bad, tried to rectify it on this post but now itown;t let me upload anything more than 64k for some reason?

non hairy.png

Hairy.jpg

On 3/12/2019 at 12:33 PM, codamedia said:

I never think of a Plexi as "hairy" so there we go... complete differences in opinions. I would think of the Plexi as a warmer amp, and a JCM 800 as a more "hairy" amp.  That said... your samples are what I would expect when you talk about hair, but I'm surprised you coaxed that type of a sound out of a Plexi model :)

IMO... most of this is can be corrected in cabinet/mic/position settings or IR choice. 

Can you share your plexi patch so I can get a closer look? If you used an IR please don't share it unless it's a free one.... just share the patch. I'll be changing out the cab or IR anyway. 

Coda,

Hey, thanks man :)

The patch is super simple, really nothing to it, this is what the chain is

Noise gate (thres -22db, decay 60ms, level 0db) > Valve driver (gain 2.9, bass 0.7, treble 6.5, level 9.8) > Amp - brit plexi jump (brt drv 7.6, nrm drv 7.2, bass 6.9, mid 9.0, trb 7.3, chvol 6.7, pres 7.8, mstr 10, sag 4.4, hum 5.0, ripl 5.0) > IR - Ace marsh 1956V 5a (L-cut 68hz, H-cut 19Khz, mix 100%, lvl -18db) > Hard gate (O Thresh -47db, C thresh -60 db, H-time 10ms, decay 10ms, lvl 0 db)

7 hours ago, marvio said:

Noise gate (thres -22db, decay 60ms, level 0db) > Valve driver (gain 2.9, bass 0.7, treble 6.5, level 9.8) > Amp - brit plexi jump (brt drv 7.6, nrm drv 7.2, bass 6.9, mid 9.0, trb 7.3, chvol 6.7, pres 7.8, mstr 10, sag 4.4, hum 5.0, ripl 5.0) > IR - Ace marsh 1956V 5a (L-cut 68hz, H-cut 19Khz, mix 100%, lvl -18db) > Hard gate (O Thresh -47db, C thresh -60 db, H-time 10ms, decay 10ms, lvl 0 db)

As I said earlier, I couldn't figure out how you made a Plexi sound like that... now I know :) 

Are your Valve Driver settings correct? If so, there is your problem.... turn it off, or at least adjust it differently. 

I loaded up your valve driver and amp settings into my Helix. For a cabinet I just ran a STOCK CAB... the 4x12 Greenback 25. I didn't adjust anything in the cab block. I didn't bother loading up any noise gates since in theory, they shouldn't impact the tone. 

In this sample... the first 16 seconds is the amp/cab on it's own and the latter half is with the Valve Driver engaged. Notice how warm the AMP really is on it's own... that's what a Plexi generally sounds like.  Notice how "Hairy" it gets with the Valve Driver engaged.

No Hair - Hair.mp3

I'm not suggesting the amp sound is perfect in this example... I just loaded your settings to show you what was going on.

10 minutes ago, codamedia said:

As I said earlier, I couldn't figure out how you made a Plexi sound like that... now I know :) 

Are your Valve Driver settings correct? If so, there is your problem.... turn it off, or at least adjust it differently. 

I loaded up your valve driver and amp settings into my Helix. For a cabinet I just ran a STOCK CAB... the 4x12 Greenback 25. I didn't adjust anything in the cab block. I didn't bother loading up any noise gates since in theory, they shouldn't impact the tone. 

In this sample... the first 16 seconds is the amp/cab on it's own. The latter half is with the Valve Driver engaged. Notice how warm the AMP really is on it's own... that's what a Plexi generally sounds like.  Notice how "Hairy" it is with the Valve Driver engaged.

No Hair - Hair.mp3

(I'm not suggesting the amp sound is perfect in this example... I just loaded your settings to show you what was going on)

I thought this was great feedback.  I'm curious though, in your opinion, if he wanted to use the valve driver or some other distortion, what would be the best ways to get there without growing more hair?  

Is it as simple as a tone knob adjustment or are you thinking it's something else? An entirely different distortion pedal?

18 minutes ago, codamedia said:

In this sample... the first 16 seconds is the amp/cab on it's own and the latter half is with the Valve Driver engaged. Notice how warm the AMP really is on it's own... that's what a Plexi generally sounds like.  Notice how "Hairy" it gets with the Valve Driver engaged.

No Hair - Hair.mp3

(I'm not suggesting the amp sound is perfect in this example... I just loaded your settings to show you what was going on)

Coda,

Thank so much for taking the time to do this, you guys are awesome, but I guess I cannot put into words what my ears are hearing? LOL

In your example I hear as much "hair" in the beginning as I do in the end, like I said on my last post, "hair" to me is not an EQ thing, it's a gain structure thing, and "hair" is not a bad thing at all, I expect to hear "hair" from a plexi, that's how the gain structure is set up :)

The settings on the valve driver were intentional, I wanted a very bright tone, and in that case i did want a very "hairy" tone, I'm not trying to fix that example, I only put it up as a sample of what I meant, my "problem" is that no matter what amp I choose I always get "hair", even on amps that are supposed to have a much rounder/tighter tone, like an Engl , for example.

Again, I don't dislike "hair" at all, I use hairy tones all the time to fill in a mix, but I also need something very tight/rounder for fast metal riffage, where that tone in my example would not work 100%, like I said, gain structure not EQ :)

Sorry everybody, I feel like I'm being a pain in the lollipop, I swear, I'm a really laid back guy, I'm just not smart enough to translate to words what I'm thinking/hearing I guess! LOL

ENGL's are pretty hairy amps, too (based on what I'm understanding as your description of "hair"), whereas something like a Mesa or SLO would be what I would think of as "less hairy". One thing I like to do on the Helix if I like the gain structure but not necessarily the total sound of an amp model is to EQ before the model without boosting the gain to try and tame some of what I'm hearing. Maybe try an EQ with some of the 900Hz-2kHz dipped out before it goes into the amp model and see if that tames some of the the fuzziness you're not enjoying from particular amp models.

24 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

ENGL's are pretty hairy amps, too (based on what I'm understanding as your description of "hair"), whereas something like a Mesa or SLO would be what I would think of as "less hairy". One thing I like to do on the Helix if I like the gain structure but not necessarily the total sound of an amp model is to EQ before the model without boosting the gain to try and tame some of what I'm hearing. Maybe try an EQ with some of the 900Hz-2kHz dipped out before it goes into the amp model and see if that tames some of the the fuzziness you're not enjoying from particular amp models.

Yeah, maybe the Engl was a bad example, but absolutely, you a right on with the Mesa/SLO, have not tried an EQ before the amp, I've traditionally have put them on the FX loop of real amps and I was trying to replicate that, old habits die hard :)

I'll try it when I get home today, thanks Gunpoint

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marvio said:

like I said on my last post, "hair" to me is not an EQ thing, it's a gain structure thing,

Yes - we obviously have completely different idea's on how to express or relate to the world "hair" :) That's what makes identifying the problem quite difficult. 

Out of curiosity, have you tried turning ON the PAD for the guitar input? Maybe there are some artifacts related to input gain that are bothering you?

10 minutes ago, codamedia said:

Yes - we obviously have completely different idea's on how to express or relate to the world "hair" :) That's what makes identifying the problem quite difficult. 

Out of curiosity, have you tried turning ON the PAD for the guitar input? Maybe there are some artifacts related to input gain that are bothering you?

That is another very good suggestion sir! Have lots to do when I get home today :)

Thanks Coda

And thanks everybody!

Rock on!

5 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

Is it as simple as a tone knob adjustment or are you thinking it's something else? An entirely different distortion pedal?

The OP has expressed that he was after that type of effects with his setting, so that make it very subjective. Since I don't seem to understand what the OP is having problems with, it's not really fair for me to try and comment how to get it. (I hope that makes sense)

5 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

Maybe try an EQ with some of the 900Hz-2kHz dipped out before it goes into the amp model and see if that tames some of the the fuzziness you're not enjoying from particular amp models.

That's an interesting point... however I would point out that currently with the Valve Driver (and the settings of it) he is doing something very different. He has removed the lows and is pushing a lot of additional highs, and a generally thinner/brighter tone into the Plexi model. 

5 hours ago, marvio said:

Sorry everybody, I feel like I'm being a pain in the lollipop, I swear, I'm a really laid back guy, I'm just not smart enough to translate to words what I'm thinking/hearing I guess! LOL

Don't worry about it :) I wish I did understand so I could help a little better. 

Perhaps the OP might be happier with an amp that is more naturally voiced closer to what he seems to want. Rather than putting the Valve Driver in front of a jumped Plexi, why not try the JCM 800 on its own, and experiment with the preamp gain and tone stack?

2 hours ago, marvio said:

That is another very good suggestion sir! Have lots to do when I get home today :)

One that was made a fair way upthread... :-)

Sometimes, less is more. A JCM 800 somewhat cranked with the input pad on might get you into the ballpark...

EDIT: I should have also said that putting a Parametric EQ block at the end of the signal chain with Low Cut at ~100Hz and High Cut at ~12kHz gets rid of bass flub and trims off unwanted top-end hair.

Coda, BBD

I'm a very pragmatic guy, and I hate for people to miss understand me, that's the only reason I'm posting again.

I wasn't trying to fix my "hairy" sample, that tone is just the way I wanted it, super hairy! :) I only posted that sample to exemplify what I meant by hairy, not to try to fix it :) 

I don't dislike hairy tones, in fact I quite love them, there is something more "real" , "vintage" about them, but sometimes I need a very round sound for modern metal, that is what I wasn't seem to be able to get from any models on the HELIX, I tried a recto, for example, and the "hairiness" was still there...

If you think about the current "standard" metal tone, which seems every metal guitarist uses these days, that's more what I'm talking about, "non hairy" that is, now that is way too much for my tastes, as I think the "modern metal tone" is too round, to the point of being boring, but that would be the other extreme from the "hairy" sample I posted

Makes nay more sense now? (brain explodes) lol

• Like 2

@marvio.... out of curiosity, does the "hair" you talk about subtly surround the note, seemingly regardless of gain levels? 

I just remembered this thread, and wonder if the amps deep settings of bias/x-bias/ripple etc... might be able to help you fine tune it a little.

https://line6.com/support/topic/41143-strange-background-distortion-sizzeling/

14 hours ago, marvio said:

Coda, BBD

I'm a very pragmatic guy, and I hate for people to miss understand me, that's the only reason I'm posting again.

I wasn't trying to fix my "hairy" sample, that tone is just the way I wanted it, super hairy! :) I only posted that sample to exemplify what I meant by hairy, not to try to fix it :) 

I don't dislike hairy tones, in fact I quite love them, there is something more "real" , "vintage" about them, but sometimes I need a very round sound for modern metal, that is what I wasn't seem to be able to get from any models on the HELIX, I tried a recto, for example, and the "hairiness" was still there...

If you think about the current "standard" metal tone, which seems every metal guitarist uses these days, that's more what I'm talking about, "non hairy" that is, now that is way too much for my tastes, as I think the "modern metal tone" is too round, to the point of being boring, but that would be the other extreme from the "hairy" sample I posted

Makes nay more sense now? (brain explodes) lol

I guess maybe post an example of the tone you're referring to? What I consider a modern metal tone IS that ENGL/5150/Boosted Mesa tone that is quite "hairy". For a lot of what I consider modern metal(BOO/Periphery/TLTSOL/ATB/Black Tongue), the tone on the record is almost ALL "hair" as you've described it and the bass guitar is doing most of the heavy lifting in the fundamental/note body area. 

2 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

I guess maybe post an example of the tone you're referring to?

+1

17 hours ago, marvio said:

sometimes I need a very round sound for modern metal, that is what I wasn't seem to be able to get from any models on the HELIX, I tried a recto, for example, and the "hairiness" was still there...

Marvio, I don't know my way around the genre, so you will have to hold my hand, so to speak :-)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BBD_123 said:

Marvio, I don't know my way around the genre, so you will have to hold my hand, so to speak :-)

Me as well :) 

@marvio... can you post a youtube clip (high quality) of a song in the genre that you consider to have "hair" and one that does not. Maybe that will help some of us to understand this better. I think we are all interested in helping, we're just having a hard time conceptualizing this. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/14/2019 at 8:25 AM, marvio said:

Hairy.jpg

Τhis reminds me a Chinese woman's <<cat>> back from 2005... it was quite hairy, and round... Guess i should thank you for the time travel mate!!!

on the point, try the metal amps from here and see if it helps https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4r7gucctc4ydkye/AACzuVidRrsSbORyqG72fpwSa?dl=0

On 3/14/2019 at 6:36 PM, codamedia said:

@marvio.... out of curiosity, does the "hair" you talk about subtly surround the note, seemingly regardless of gain levels? 

I just remembered this thread, and wonder if the amps deep settings of bias/x-bias/ripple etc... might be able to help you fine tune it a little.

https://line6.com/support/topic/41143-strange-background-distortion-sizzeling/

Coda, YES! That's exactly what I mean! :)

It's the extra "stuff" at the "edges" of the note

I will check that thread out for sure, thanks again man!

As an example of the "round", "modern metal sound" I'm talking about? Just take any of the youtubers who do gear reviews, no matter what they play through it all sounds the same! LOL :)

Like I said, that is on the other extreme of "round", those sounds are "round" to the point of being boring...

Let me see if I can find something quick...

This for Example :)

On 3/14/2019 at 6:36 PM, codamedia said:

Just now, bsd512 said:

Are you referring to the palm muting accentuated by the tight noise gating common with this style and genre? Djent?

Regardless of genre, that's an example of an extremely "round" sound to me, like I said, that's way too much on the other extreme, I just need some "hair" off, not almost all of it like this guys :) 

Coda,

Tried the PAD trick, and it definitely helped, also, tried my 30+ year old "lollipop" Kramer, and helped even more! LOL

Do you guys find that the guitar affects the tone this much? I've been using a Les Paul standard throughout, but I though :"What the hell, I have all these guitars hanging on my wall..."

The ones I liked the best were the Kramer and my N4, both of which have Bill Lawrence L500XL's on the bridge. HUmm, maybe the helix likes those pickups for this mythical round sound I'm looking for?