Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

3rd party amp packs

steelstringer

I have seen a few 3rd party amp packs designed for Helix lately, and I wondered what experience that users here on the forum have had with them. First, my current feeling is that we already have so many amps to build upon that I don’t feel like need to buy more. For example, we don’t have a Marshall Jubilee, but we have several Marshalls that, in conjunction with an overdrive pedal/eq pedal block, should sound pretty close. 

But I could be wrong here. Maybe some of these packs are amazing, and they generate tones that we currently cannot get from tweaking the current amp models. Any thoughts? 

27 minutes ago, steelstringer said:

my current feeling is that we already have so many amps to build upon that I don’t feel like need to buy more.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong... but I really don't think Line 6 opened the architecture of the Helix to allow 3rd party amps to be installed.

I believe you are buying presets, not amps. 

27 minutes ago, steelstringer said:

But I could be wrong here. Maybe some of these packs are amazing, and they generate tones that we currently cannot get from tweaking the current amp models.

Some of these amp packs may include a custom IR (or multiple IR's) for you to use, but they are not new amps, just the existing models tweaked in ways you might not think to try!

• Like 1

MLSoundLab seems to be advertising on this forum on occasion, and recently he mentioned amp packs, so I wonder if they are made with existing Helix models? Codamedia asked the question that I also want to know: could Helix even import a file with a baked in amp model? 

Assuming that you get the difference between AMP packs and PRESETS, I've tried both the Glen Delaune and Fremen products. Partly to learn how "the pros" do it, partly because I just wanted a lot of presets to browse through when I'm looking for inspiration. Partly because I'm lazy.

The GD presets didn't do it for me, and were way too complicated to learn much from. He also has some that are attempts to mimic boutique amps not included in the Helix. I haven't tried them (already more in the Helix than I can deal with), but keep in mind that the're not new amps, just attempts to mimic them.

I really like the Fremen presets. With minor tweaks (see below), everything I need (right now), and easy to see how they're made.

Customtone has lots of FREE presets. Some are excellent, some are trash. Look for Jason Sadites' presets. They're mostly very good, and he has videos explaining the hows and whys of his process.

With ANY presets, free or commercial, keep in mind that the equipment used to make them (and what the author was monitoring them with), compared to YOUR equipment, can make all the difference in the world. You'll probably need to tweak them to make them sound good on your rig.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies so far. I guess, when I visited this site, the description made it sound like a Jubilee was modeled 

https://ml-sound-lab.com/collections/amp-packs/products/mars-silver-helix

Just to clarify my original post, I feel like I can dial in about any tone that I need with the current amps (and stock cabs). I just wondered if others had experiences where a boutique amp pack was particularly impressive. But it seems to me that if amp packs are built on amp models already in the Helix, then I’m not interested in purchasing them. 

Indeed, I can see how their marketing makes it appear that way. Unless there's something going on behind the scenes between L6 and ML, this is some of the most misleading marketing I've seen. Too bad you didn't fall for the scam, you've been able to tell us what's actually in the package.....;-)

It's not a scam, just a bit misleading in the sense that they're not really amp packs, but preset packs, I guess that someone with 0 knowledge about the Helix might think there's actual new amps, these are useful in the sense that a professional audio guy with professional audio equipment has A/B'd the preset and the target amp so close that it's hard to distinguish the preset from the real thing, so if you want that sound you can get it. I haven't bought them because I have my own presets but I'll probably buy one of the packs for fun when I have some spare money.

3 hours ago, vstrattomusic said:

I guess that someone with 0 knowledge about the Helix might think there's actual new amps,

Ouch! I wouldn’t say I have 0 knowledge of the Helix, I was just a bit confused about the marketing/ phrasing of 3rd party amp packs. I have a better understanding of all of it now. Thanks. 

Well... The idea of 3rd party plugins (DSP blocks) would be great. What Line6 claims is what they call  "Helix Core" is somewhat Sharc DSP independent. (BTW there are 3rd party plugins for UA Sharc enviroment)
Let's face it - some DSP blocks are ugly and far behind the competition and I do not think Line6 programmer team can make them better while there is a push for new ones.
There is nothing wrong in closed architecture unless you open it for third party software developers. Line6 at least could at take advantage of Yamaha experience.

15 minutes ago, steelstringer said:

Ouch! I wouldn’t say I have 0 knowledge of the Helix, I was just a bit confused about the marketing/ phrasing of 3rd party amp packs. I have a better understanding of all of it now. Thanks. 

Sorry I wasn't trying to be mean, but you can see this going on with the POD series at least, I never owned any of the PODs so maybe I'm wrong, you can see amp packs for sale on the website, sold by Line 6, if they release official amp packs they yeah that's pretty believable, but otherwise I don't think it's going to happen, I mean someone could reverse engineer the Helix and release their own firmware with their own amps but I think that would be illegal?

• 1 year later...

I bought some, tried them, but they are useless. In general, when it comes to sound, then I think it's best to buy or rent high-quality speakers and all the necessary equipment for a really cool event. So most of the time I contact to these guys truesoundhire.co.uk. They rent everything you need for a great party. And you don't have to worry that you forgot something or didn't connect it. They will do all the work for you! Therefore, for all questions about the quality of sound and lighting effects, I turn only to them!

Many of the amp models in Helix can produce a wide range of similar sounds. There's a lot of overlap in the tones, especially when using the amp pretty clean as a pedal platform. Choice of guitar/pickups and cab model or IR choice will often have greater impact on tone. Where the amps tend be more unique is in how the distort, how much gain they have, whether the distortion is preamp or power amp, position of the tone controls in the signal chain (before or after distortion), etc. If you're looking for tone, a good place to start is with musicians you like that have a tone you like. Do some research to see what amp and pedal platforms they use and try to reproduce them in Helix. Then find a good recording with the tone you like and use it as a reference to reproduce the tone, or refine your own. I model my tone based on Matt Schofield's using this technique.

• Like 1

Don't mean to sound harsh but calling anything that doesn't actually install new amps an "amp pack" is grossly misleading and bad mojo. Those offerings should be renamed immediately.  If this is the new trend I intend to buy my "amp packs" with a "cash pack" consisting of bills from a Monopoly board game. If they're painted green does that make them legit currency?