Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

1st patch: Helix + iRig Acoustic patch

GingerLefty

I just uploaded my first Helix video, and following a suggestion from a forum member I created a patch which takes the output of the guitar's piezo pickup into path 1, and takes the output of the iRig Acoustic clip-on microphone into path 2. I have placed all of the wet effects on path 1 and kept the iRig Acoustic path dry.

In Logic Pro X I armed 2 tracks, one mono and one stereo (the stereo track is from path 1 with the wet effects). I have given the stereo track a little spread in Logic.

I would love for experienced Helix users to critique my patch and give me suggestions for improvement. @datacommando gave me the idea. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjGEpsuo-ZM

Edited by GingerLefty
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2019 at 7:06 AM, GingerLefty said:

There must be some acoustic guys, right? I like the sound I got here, it’s not terrible. I just know that it can be better. Thanks. 

Well, I liked it! 

Sadly, my iRig Acoustic Stage has just decided to pack in. It will be going back as it was used only once and I certainly would not want to rely on it as a serious stage option. It's a bit of fun.

• Like 1

It would be nice to hear each raw signal alone first; your piezo pickup, and the iRig. I'm not able to judge how Helix affected each path, and if the blend was an improvement. Sounds good, though, but still a little piezoplasticy. 

I'm also wondering how it would sound using the iRig's pickup blend feature, then just using one Helix path for the "pre-blended" tone (I use a Stomp for coffee house and winery gigs).

• Like 1

Your patch sounds pretty darn good in the video... 

I don't have any direct suggestions, but I'd like to point you to a video that helped me setup my acoustic tones when I got a Helix.

1. In the video, Ritchie uses a Variax.... but the "general approach" works great for regular acoustics as well. 
  2. NOTE: The general approach of the video is over by the 3:45 mark... .... then he heads off into "variax specifics" later in the video, you can ignore those. 

This is a similar chain to every acoustic instrument I own, from my J-45, my classical, my dobro, my 5 string banjo, my mandolin, and all of my variax acoustic instruments as well. I just adjust a little for each instrument. 

• Like 1

...no worries, I appreciate your work. Thx!!

I had another look at iRig Acoustic Stage reviews online (most are positive) and noted IK Multi dropped the price (on Amazon) to $70, so I ordered one out of curiosity to try out for live and studio work.  I find that acoustic tone is mainly dependent on the guitar + pickup interaction, so most things done afterwards (in Helix or otherwise) is often an attempt to correct or fix any pickup anomalies or shortcomings. In my case, I settled on a B-Band A2.2 XOM pickup for my Alvarez Yairi, and haven't found anything I've liked better. But that pickup may not sound as good on another acoustic. So, there ya go....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, soundog said:

I had another look at iRig Acoustic Stage reviews online (most are positive) and noted IK Multi dropped the price (on Amazon) to $70, so I ordered one out of curiosity to try out for live and studio work. 

Yes, I saw all those reviews and got an iRig Acoustic Stage as a gift. I though it could be useful to record my old grand auditorium and four string tenor acoustic. Certainly less hassle than setting up a couple of mics, which pick up every shuffling noise and chair squeak etc. It certainly did the job easily and quickly, plus for the new lower price - not too bad.

Sad to report it failed on the third time out of the case - everything lights up, but no sound comes out. I got the “stage” version under the misguided thought that it may be a bit more sturdy. Good fun while it lasted, but it cannot be regarded as serious equipment.

Note: I also have an iRig2 for getting ideas down on the iPad using my old Tele. Had it for a couple of years and it works perfectly every time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, I got the iRig Acoustic Stage and had a chance to try it in the studio, and was surprised by the sound quality. It uses a MEMS microphone clipped to the sound hole, so its VERY sensitive to guitar noises (buttons on sleeves, rings on fingers, string squeaks,  etc). You have to play carefully and clean. But the sound is surprisingly full-range and rich. I plan on doing takes with my usual small diaphragm condenser mic along with the iRig, so I can blend the two as needed. Certainly worth the $70 I paid.

I doubt I'll use it for live gigs as I play close to my Bose L1 array, and normally need a sound hole cover to discourage feedback. I think it might be overly sensitive, but I might give it a try some day.

@datacommando, sorry yours failed so quickly. I hope mine fares better! Three uses is a poorer return than a nice bottle of wine or spliff of Blue Hawaiian.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2019 at 2:51 AM, soundog said:

Well, I got the iRig Acoustic Stage and had a chance to try it in the studio, and was surprised by the sound quality. It uses a MEMS microphone clipped to the sound hole, so its VERY sensitive to guitar noises (buttons on sleeves, rings on fingers, string squeaks,  etc). You have to play carefully and clean. But the sound is surprisingly full-range and rich. I plan on doing takes with my usual small diaphragm condenser mic along with the iRig, so I can blend the two as needed. Certainly worth the $70 I paid.

I doubt I'll use it for live gigs as I play close to my Bose L1 array, and normally need a sound hole cover to discourage feedback. I think it might be overly sensitive, but I might give it a try some day.

@datacommando, sorry yours failed so quickly. I hope mine fares better! Three uses is a poorer return than a nice bottle of wine or spliff of Blue Hawaiian.

The software has a very good feedback eliminator built-in to it, if that helps. 

Yes, thanks. For live, I'm happy with my B-Band pickup and sound hole cover. But I may hook the iRig up in my living room with my live setup and see what it does at higher volumes with a PA. I'd have to modify my sound hole cover, though, to accommodate the mic clip. And, I'm not sure if using the "blend" (MEMs and regular guitar pickup) would get feedback suppression for the whole mix, or just the MEMs microphone.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 2:51 AM, soundog said:

Yahoo, spark up the Blue Hawaiian!

Those nice people at IK Multimedia decided that there must be some very unusual fault with the gizmo. They swapped it out for a brand new unit, as a warranty replacement, and it arrived with me less than 24 hours later.

Back up and running - yay!

• Like 1