Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Microphones with HX Stomp

Sethk

Yes. You'll need to use a dynamic mic, and a mic transformer such as https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Plus-Switchable-Transformer-MCT-1S/dp/B0018ST7CK/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=mic+transformer&qid=1552252595&s=gateway&sr=8-12. I recommend using one that has a short cable so that you don't have any long jacks plugged into HX Stomp that could get stepped on and break something.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Seth_k have you had luck with your mic into the HX Stomp?  If so, did you alter any other settings?  I assume you have to set the Input in Global Settings to Line instead of Instrument, correct?  @amsdenj, I'd love your input on this too as you are always so helpful.

My use case is to run my acoustic and through my HX Stomp, primarily for looping and some fun delay effects.  I am solely a home player, so this is not for live performances.  My acoustic does not have a pickup and I would like to keep it that way.  Currently I am using an iRig Acoustic Stage, which is quite good and does the job nicely.  In fact, for the cost is it incredible.

However, there are 2 things about the iRig Acoustic Stage that I don't like...at all.  The mic is just a bit larger than a pick, and clips onto the sound hole.  And the "cable" is incredibly thin (it is more of a wire than a cable).  The combination of those 2 things bothers me as I've already tripped over the cable and yanked it from my guitar.  It is inevitable that I will do damage at some point.

My thinking is to just set up a mic and just play in front of it when I want to send sound through the Stomp.

• 1 year later...
On 3/10/2019 at 4:18 PM, amsdenj said:

Yes. You'll need to use a dynamic mic, and a mic transformer such as https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Plus-Switchable-Transformer-MCT-1S/dp/B0018ST7CK/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=mic+transformer&qid=1552252595&s=gateway&sr=8-12. I recommend using one that has a short cable so that you don't have any long jacks plugged into HX Stomp that could get stepped on and break something.

Thanks for the tip!

Has anyone tried it out? I just bought a transformer adapter like the one linked above, along with an SM48 mic. Looking forward to testing on my Stomp - recording to Reaper. 

See the HX Stomp section in https://jimamsden.wordpress.com/2020/04/04/remote-jamming-with-helix-and-jamulus/. This explains how to use a Return block on path B to provide a mic input and volume control, and route the output to USB 3/4 in order to turn off direct monitoring in HX Stomp.

Note that after opening some ports on my router, I'm finding JamKazam works quite well too. The band has started rehearsing again remotely, and its working fine. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/9/2020 at 2:19 PM, amsdenj said:

See the HX Stomp section in https://jimamsden.wordpress.com/2020/04/04/remote-jamming-with-helix-and-jamulus/. This explains how to use a Return block on path B to provide a mic input and volume control, and route the output to USB 3/4 in order to turn off direct monitoring in HX Stomp.

Thank you for sharing this, very easy to understand your explanation in the blog post.

I play classical guitar, and am moving from a two channel acoustic amp to a HX Stomp setup to minimize my gear.

There is a small saddle mounted pickup on my classical guitar. My use case is: the pickup goes to the L input. Then I use a e906 dynamic mic aimed at the 12th fret. Can I route this to R input instead of the Return? I figured I could use a Y splitter in HX Stomp and hard pan left/right to get two signal paths which I then merge before sending to my FRFR-108.

But the mic signal seems very quiet (I do have a mic level transformer like you showed in the post).

The mic level might be pretty low because the input for the return is either instrument or line, and you don't want to have to use a gain block because of the 6 block limit. You might need to use a small external mixer instead of a mic transformer.

On 8/9/2020 at 1:03 AM, kovaxx said:

Thank you for sharing this, very easy to understand your explanation in the blog post.

I play classical guitar, and am moving from a two channel acoustic amp to a HX Stomp setup to minimize my gear.

There is a small saddle mounted pickup on my classical guitar. My use case is: the pickup goes to the L input. Then I use a e906 dynamic mic aimed at the 12th fret. Can I route this to R input instead of the Return? I figured I could use a Y splitter in HX Stomp and hard pan left/right to get two signal paths which I then merge before sending to my FRFR-108.

But the mic signal seems very quiet (I do have a mic level transformer like you showed in the post).

https://www.fluidsolo.com/patchexchange/patch/guitar-and-mic,83

Here is a patch to help you see how it's configured, Just download it and and swap out some stuff 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/10/2019 at 5:18 PM, amsdenj said:

OK, so I just bought a HZ Stomp and use it for Acoustic and on occasion my electric guitars. I front and play rhythm for my band. I would like to also run my vocals through it so I can have some minor effects at times and be able to add them when I want, not when the sound guy wants to...lol 

My mic set up is a Shure GLX wireless system. Can I just use a XLR to 1/4 inch adaptor or would I still need some sort of converter? If a converter what type would I use with my digital wireless system? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I would rather not have to buy a vocal processor as I really don't use it that much.   Thanks!!