Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Effect and Helix Stomp. So now Helix Amp.

ryamakawa

I see what you mean, but then isn't what you're describing the same as Line 6's existing line of "Spider" amps with an optional  FVB 3 Pro foot controller?  Granted, the Spider amps could use an updating in the quality of their amp modeling to compete with the Helix.  But I still can't imagine why the need for an amp setup other than the Helix equipment you already own in conjunction with a Powercab - unless your talking a beast of an amp.  Even then I would rather have a bigger version of the Powercab instead.

18 minutes ago, ryamakawa said:

power cab provides only a cab model and IR, but no amps.

I am talking about only amp models on the helix. I think it will be cool to have pedal formant of helix amps.

Not to poo poo an idea but .... why? It won't improve sound and at best just saves you two blocks.

I don't hear many complain about DSP limits on full Helix.

1 minute ago, Kilrahi said:

Not to poo poo an idea but .... why? It won't improve sound and at best just saves you two blocks.

I don't hear many complain about DSP limits on full Helix.

Let me add to the list of DSP complainers then (grin).  I have a huge problem with DSP on my Helix floor when trying to use more than one IR cab - and the top half of my chain is typically pretty simple as I have come to prefer to use snapshot changes in amp gain over using a lot of gain pedals in front of the amp.  The difference between even just 1 cab IR and a stock cab can easily cost you as much as 3 blocks - and if you want 2 IRs or more than one amp sim on the top half of your chain you can forget it (some effect pedals/amps use more DSP than others of course).  I don't have a Powercab yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to being able to use its onboard IR or stock cab to free up my floor Helix chain options.

I am not talking about combo/amp format. I am talking about the pedal format here or maybe DI Box style. And DSP is not a concern here since I am talking about only Amps models/ IR blocks on the Helix. 

If line6 could make a Boss size pedal format of the helix: just amp models/IR blocks and powered by 9V DC.  I believe it will be super cool.

I'm guessing that we've seen all the hardware versions we're gonna see.  There are already got 5 in the Helix family.... go to the well too often, and eventually you pull up an empty bucket. They've carved up the platform and covered every base there is already. Releasing yet another iteration of the same device risks fragmenting the customer base and triggering buyer's remorse in those who've already purchased something else. 

20 hours ago, JLondon said:

Let me add to the list of DSP complainers then (grin).  I have a huge problem with DSP on my Helix floor when trying to use more than one IR cab - and the top half of my chain is typically pretty simple as I have come to prefer to use snapshot changes in amp gain over using a lot of gain pedals in front of the amp.  The difference between even just 1 cab IR and a stock cab can easily cost you as much as 3 blocks - and if you want 2 IRs or more than one amp sim on the top half of your chain you can forget it (some effect pedals/amps use more DSP than others of course).  I don't have a Powercab yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to being able to use its onboard IR or stock cab to free up my floor Helix chain options.

Are you trying to use multiple cabinet IRs simultaneously or switching between them? you can set the IR block to change the IR its using to snapshots.

For the "dreamer" price, it would probably have to be something that could only load one or two amp models at a time (at least to get to the normal stomp pedal size and still have all the I/O it would need) and I just don't see them doing that. I think the HX Stomp is their version of what you're asking for.

On 3/10/2019 at 4:52 PM, ryamakawa said:

I am talking about only amp models on the helix. I think it will be cool to have pedal formant of helix amps.

Ok... I'll bite :)  How many blocks should it have?

To give you the same amp options as a Helix the choices should be...

1. Full Amp w/Cab
  2. Full Amp no Cab
  3. PreAmp no Cab
  4. Cabinet Block
  5. IR Block

Let's toss in the option of parallel amps and/or parallel cabs and/or parallel IR's. Regardless, you need the ability to do 2 paths.

1. What about reverb... most amps have reverb, shouldn't this one? Better include a few reverbs to choose from, and a block to put it in. 
  2. Tremolo? Hey... lots of amps have that. I think it would be an instant feature request if it wasn't included out of the gate. That will need a block.
  3. Let's not forget the effects loop. Many amps have those as well. That's another block! 

To take full advantage you will need 7 - 8 blocks, but could likely get by with 6.

That product already exists, albeit with a few extra features. It's called the HX STOMP!

I can't imagine they can make it any cheaper just by crippling the software to eliminate  most effects and the tuner.