Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How To Know If My Line 6 Hd 500 Is Burned?

jsosa17

The power supply is an international one and is good for between 100 and 240 v AC, and it doesn't mind whether it is 50 or 60 Hz.  US is nominally 110v, UK and Europe is normally 230.  Despite it saying nominally 240v max I would expect that it can cope with 250v without problems but might struggle to provide the full rated current below 100v.  

The power supply is converted to DC at 9v which then feeds the power on the digital circuits with the main SHARC chip running at either 3.3 or 5v (can't quite work out which from a quick view of the specs), so internally there is additional voltage regulation.

Basically over voltage to the power supply is well covered for and I would expect that the power supply would fry before anything damaging happened in the main unit, and that is easily replaced (but not that cheaply if you want similar quality).

The current demand of the HD500 is not the full 3A that the power supply is rated at or even the "2.5A min" that it says on the back of the unit, because that includes powering a JTV via the VDI as well, so the range that the main voltage can vary over is huge - but I wouldn't try 440v power supplies if I were you, and definitely not distribution power line levels.

Because the unit is completely digital and well isolated from the mains it doesn't change sound with variation of the mains unlike analogue equipment such as valve amps.