Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp - FRFR Speaker - Wow!

guitarbloke1980

So I bought a JBL PRX710 from work last week to try with the HX Stomp.  It was a silly price so I figured it’d be worth a gamble.

On Friday night I fired it up at home, dialled in my favourite HX patch and cranked it to gig level (sorry neighbours!) - and WOW!

It just sounds phenomenal!!  I would go as far as to say it sounds better (at certain things) than my Suhr Badger 35 and Zilla Fatboy 2x12. 

I was concerned that the low end may not be represented as fully due to the 10” woofer, but it sounds tight and focused.  Everything sounds very articulate and clear – and most importantly, it sounds like a real amp and cab – not at all like a digital reproduction.

I cannot wait to get this into a rehearsal with my band to try it out, as this may change once I’m in a room against a Dual Rectifier, bass drums and keyboards – but I’ve already been blown away by first impressions!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

On 3/11/2019 at 10:15 AM, guitarbloke1980 said:

So I bought a JBL PRX710 from work last week to try with the HX Stomp.  It was a silly price so I figured it’d be worth a gamble.

On Friday night I fired it up at home, dialled in my favourite HX patch and cranked it to gig level (sorry neighbours!) - and WOW!

It just sounds phenomenal!!  I would go as far as to say it sounds better (at certain things) than my Suhr Badger 35 and Zilla Fatboy 2x12. 

I was concerned that the low end may not be represented as fully due to the 10” woofer, but it sounds tight and focused.  Everything sounds very articulate and clear – and most importantly, it sounds like a real amp and cab – not at all like a digital reproduction.

I cannot wait to get this into a rehearsal with my band to try it out, as this may change once I’m in a room against a Dual Rectifier, bass drums and keyboards – but I’ve already been blown away by first impressions!

Hi mate, 

How did you get on using this in a live setting? I'm looking to to the same thing with my HX stomp as I'm having no luck running it through my amp (preamp models into amps FX return so only using the power amp section +cabinet). Thinking of ditching real amps altogether and using a FRFR speaker

Cheers, Mike

17 hours ago, Mike-GTR said:

Hi mate, 

How did you get on using this in a live setting? I'm looking to to the same thing with my HX stomp as I'm having no luck running it through my amp (preamp models into amps FX return so only using the power amp section +cabinet). Thinking of ditching real amps altogether and using a FRFR speaker

Cheers, Mike

27 minutes ago, rsvette12 said:

Real amps and modelers imo dont mix well :)

The above is my take too. If you're happy with your real amp, then in my opinion you should use your real amp fully. This means running the modeler in 4 cable method and using only effects. There are some things you can do to open up more of your modeler's amp abilities (such as plugging into the FX return and using only pre amps), AND some amps work better for this than others . . .

In the end though nothing touches a solid FRFR speaker and your modeler. That's listening nirvana in my opinion (I even prefer it to the much raved about tube amp experience - obviously not all agree). 

• Like 1