Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 600 uneven sound levels on piezo pickups

The Workbench program communicates with the Variax guitar using a proprietary Line 6 hardware product called the Variax Workbench Interface. No other interface device will do the job (except some other Line 6 guitar multi-FX products that have this interface technology built-in). It's very expensive for a little bit of plastic and circuitry but sometimes you can pick up a used one.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Workbench

Ok, thanks för the link. I noticed that the sound is cracking and disappearing when i touch the E6 string, it almost seems as if the piezo pickup is damaged or is about to break, I saw a link to the Line 6 shop where they would sell piezo pickup but it was removed, have they stopped with that sale maybe, might be difficult to find a new pickup?

Two problems required two different solutions

IF A PIEZO IS DYING or DEAD!

1. Try cleaning it. The ground is make between the saddle and bridge (those two little set screws).... give that area a good cleaning to make sure there is good contact. 
  2. You may need to buy a replacement. If they are not available through Line 6 you can try and contact LR Baggs (via phone or email) and ask them if you can buy an X-Insert for a Variax. It is LR Baggs that makes them.... and I've heard some people say they have been very helpful in providing replacements. If it is proprietary to a Variax, then their support will also dry up. 
  3. The other alternative is to replace all the saddles with a Graphtech Ghost set. There is plenty of info online about that surgery.

STRING VOLUME DIFFERENCES

The only way around that is with the Workbench software which you must connect to using a Line 6 device. A Variax Interface is one solution, but a used POD XT Live, X3 LIVE or HD500 (not a 500x) will also work fine. A used XT Live or X3 LIVE is likely similar to a new Variax Interface... and HD500 would likely be quite a bit more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi variaxsexhundra

I have the 600 and an Acoustic 700 and really like them both.

I have had them both a while and have had 2 piezo issues - buzzy break up.

The first was solved by replacing and the the second appears to be down to a saddle not seating correctly which can be got around by some trickery when string tightening.

I have quiet strings on the acoustic which I'm firing up Workbench for.

Anyway... I am anticipating piezos going again. 

Can I ask where you sourced yours from?

I'm in UK and I'd like to find them here but I'm prepared to shop internationally.

Also - I'm not that confident and soldering. I'm looking for something on YouTube that shows it being done but can't see anything. Have you found anything at all?

Thanks

Hi davehoward23,

I bought them from the manufacturer of the xbridge, https://www.lrbaggs.com/pickups/electric-guitar-acoustic-pickup

LR Baggs first referred to the dealers in my country but none of the 20 I contacted i Scandinavia had these and did not seem to be particularly interested in helping, so therefore, LR Baggs sent them directly to me, very accommodating and pleasant with excellent support

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Just to emphasise Variax 600 uses the original Workbench (Not HD Workbench) and it does not have the capability to adjust the volume of individual string. Only HD Workbench able to do this but It does not support Variax 300/500/600/700. 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I’ve got two brand new piezos for a 600 Variax as well as the workbench USB Iinterface for sale if needed. 
I don’t need them any more as I now use my Helix to access workbench as well as now use JTV69 and JTV59. 

• 1 year later...
On 6/15/2021 at 11:44 AM, isdirg1 said:

I’ve got two brand new piezos for a 600 Variax as well as the workbench USB Iinterface for sale if needed. 
I don’t need them any more as I now use my Helix to access workbench as well as now use JTV69 and JTV59. 

Hi, do you still have them ? :')