variaxsexhundra

Variax 600 uneven sound levels on piezo pickups

ok, thanks, i dont have the usb cable but i can buy it some where and download workbenchprogram, or maybe i can use the breakout box i use to my Gibson LPX with that stereocable?

lpx_carousel-05.png

The Workbench program communicates with the Variax guitar using a proprietary Line 6 hardware product called the Variax Workbench Interface. No other interface device will do the job (except some other Line 6 guitar multi-FX products that have this interface technology built-in). It's very expensive for a little bit of plastic and circuitry but sometimes you can pick up a used one.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Workbench

Ok, thanks för the link. I noticed that the sound is cracking and disappearing when i touch the E6 string, it almost seems as if the piezo pickup is damaged or is about to break, I saw a link to the Line 6 shop where they would sell piezo pickup but it was removed, have they stopped with that sale maybe, might be difficult to find a new pickup?

Two problems required two different solutions

IF A PIEZO IS DYING or DEAD!

1. Try cleaning it. The ground is make between the saddle and bridge (those two little set screws).... give that area a good cleaning to make sure there is good contact. 
  2. You may need to buy a replacement. If they are not available through Line 6 you can try and contact LR Baggs (via phone or email) and ask them if you can buy an X-Insert for a Variax. It is LR Baggs that makes them.... and I've heard some people say they have been very helpful in providing replacements. If it is proprietary to a Variax, then their support will also dry up. 
  3. The other alternative is to replace all the saddles with a Graphtech Ghost set. There is plenty of info online about that surgery.

STRING VOLUME DIFFERENCES

The only way around that is with the Workbench software which you must connect to using a Line 6 device. A Variax Interface is one solution, but a used POD XT Live, X3 LIVE or HD500 (not a 500x) will also work fine. A used XT Live or X3 LIVE is likely similar to a new Variax Interface... and HD500 would likely be quite a bit more.

Thanks, i have done a ohm measurement and it sems to be good ground contact but am doing a good cleaning just in case, i have emailed a couple of musicstores on line aboute a piezo replacement and i will contact LR Bragg, thanks again for all advices :)

Here is the reason why it does not work, wear in the seat, it was difficult to see without magnifying glass therefore I missed it initially

kass.thumb.jpg.bd074e2c2b54518ec10a15b4136c28e9.jpg

Best to take it to a Line 6 authorized service center to have the piezo changed out.

If they get old or the player plays a lot of gigs, especially metal or blues with a lot of low-E usage,... not often, but sometimes.

would a rat-tail file be worth a try so the string sits more evenly and gets better contact?

i thought of that but i rotate the seat to the side with less damaged but it is equally low sound that comes and goes, the wear may have damaged the piezo crystal

Nothing made it better so i put in a new piezo insert on E6, luckily i found a couple inserts to a good price so now i have some on stock when next is gives up :)

• Like 1

Hi variaxsexhundra

I have the 600 and an Acoustic 700 and really like them both.

I have had them both a while and have had 2 piezo issues - buzzy break up.

The first was solved by replacing and the the second appears to be down to a saddle not seating correctly which can be got around by some trickery when string tightening.

I have quiet strings on the acoustic which I'm firing up Workbench for.

Anyway... I am anticipating piezos going again. 

Can I ask where you sourced yours from?

I'm in UK and I'd like to find them here but I'm prepared to shop internationally.

Also - I'm not that confident and soldering. I'm looking for something on YouTube that shows it being done but can't see anything. Have you found anything at all?

Thanks

Hi davehoward23,

I bought them from the manufacturer of the xbridge, https://www.lrbaggs.com/pickups/electric-guitar-acoustic-pickup

LR Baggs first referred to the dealers in my country but none of the 20 I contacted i Scandinavia had these and did not seem to be particularly interested in helping, so therefore, LR Baggs sent them directly to me, very accommodating and pleasant with excellent support

• Upvote 1

Hard to tell in that light if the connector is keyed correctly, you might want to double check that.