Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Guitar Port Upgrade from Win7 to Win10

Hi,

I recently got a new Windows 10 machine, and I got my Guitar Port running using the latest drivers and software. POD Farm 2 was the only choice in software available, which is what I installed, and it seemed to work great... for a few days. Now, I'm getting an error saying that POD Farm 2 is not authorized, and it appears I have to purchase it for $100. Honestly, WTF! Do I really have to spend $100 to make my Guitar Port run on Windows 10?

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion @Gaz_Ham. I hope I don't have to run unsupported, legacy software in compatibility mode on a brand new machine. I hope there's a way I can upgrade to Pod Farm 2... the Guitar Port is 100% supported on that version. From what I can see, you could spend $100 to get a new piece of hardware that includes a Pod Farm license, or you can buy the Pod Farm 2 software for $100. I don't want to throw away my perfectly functional Guitar Port, nor do I want to be extorted into spending $100 for what should be an upgrade license (free or inexpensive).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jpan said:

Thanks for the suggestion @Gaz_Ham. I hope I don't have to run unsupported, legacy software in compatibility mode on a brand new machine. I hope there's a way I can upgrade to Pod Farm 2... the Guitar Port is 100% supported on that version. From what I can see, you could spend $100 to get a new piece of hardware that includes a Pod Farm license, or you can buy the Pod Farm 2 software for $100. I don't want to throw away my perfectly functional Guitar Port, nor do I want to be extorted into spending $100 for what should be an upgrade license (free or inexpensive).

You may not actually need to use Compatibility Mode to install POD Farm 1.12 on Windows 10. It's worth trying.

How long can you honestly expect a company to support a discontinued piece of hardware, though? Line 6 is still updating the drivers for the Guitarport, fortunately, but as far as the software, I'm not sure what you can realistically expect for a piece of hardware that was discontinued 10 years or however long ago it was. The Guitarport will work as an interface for whatever plug-in or standalone modeler you want to use. It's just the original software is no longer supported.

As mentioned, the guitar port is still supported, but podfarm 1 isn't. There's more of support on helix and podfarm 2. it's your call really, the only wotk around without spending is running Podfarm 1 in compatibility mode.

True, but the Guitar Port is supported. I've been a software developer for over 25 years, and totally get it. I would expect to pay for an upgrade license, but not $100, which is the same price as a new piece of hardware. Sheesh!

By the way, if I thought my guitar port sucked, I would get something new. I don't have a problem upgrading hardware when needed. But my guitar port is exactly what I want... I like it better than the $100 replacement. I use it for practice (no recording), and I have it setup on my desk as my main volume knob for my computer volume. It's a great, simple piece of hardware... one of the best purchases I ever made.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jpan said:

True, but the Guitar Port is supported. I've been a software developer for over 25 years, and totally get it. I would expect to pay for an upgrade license, but not $100, which is the same price as a new piece of hardware. Sheesh!

By the way, if I thought my guitar port sucked, I would get something new. I don't have a problem upgrading hardware when needed. But my guitar port is exactly what I want... I like it better than the $100 replacement. I use it for practice (no recording), and I have it setup on my desk as my main volume knob for my computer volume. It's a great, simple piece of hardware... one of the best purchases I ever made.

Well the one thing is that Guitarport originally came with Gearbox, which was a standalone amp modeler program. POD Farm 2 is a full VST plug-in. There is a standalone version that you'd be able to use, too, but you'd be getting a lot more functionality that Gearbox never had. Your POD Farm license wouldn't be tied to the Guitarport, either. Which, I guess, is one reason why the POD Studio GX costs the same as the software-only POD Farm 2 license. If you get a license for PF2 with the GX, the license is always tied to that device. You have to have that device connected to your computer to use it. With the hardware independent version of PF2, you can use it without any Line 6 device connected.

There was a brief time in which Line 6 offered a free upgrade to POD Farm 2 from POD Farm 1 with certain hardware licenses, but beyond that, there hasn't really been upgrade pricing. Occasionally, Line 6 will have sales in the online store where they offer 30% off. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else to tell you...

Just thought I would report back on this thread... I submitted a support request to Line6 to ask them about this, and after a few days, they finally got back to me and issued me a license for Pod Farm 2. I think it was because I had previously purchased some tone packs. Not sure, but thanks Line6! You guys rock!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am unable to get a signal from my guitar through Guitar Port. I downloaded most recent drivers  from Line 6 Monkey and everything is green but  when I open Podfarm 2  there is no signal to the tuner.  It is not guitar related and I have had this XT device for many years and is undamaged. Green light comes on and windows 10 says it is working properly. In the top left corner of Podfarm 2 is the signal level and it is blank. When I go to Hardware & Driver settings in driver format it says inactive. I have not found a way to make it active. There is a picture of the device in the window and it says Line 6 audio - Midi devices-3.62 Driver version 4.2.7.7 it also says input source and record sends are configured in the mixer view  when podfarm is running. In mixer view the send  1-2 & 3-4 are dull red and usable. However their function does nothing as there is no signal present. The input output that should be lit up if there was a signal is dull gray with no way to activate. I have tried everything I can think of in window 10 to get operational with no success.  I have not tried uninstalling all line 6 software and reinstalling.  I have nothing to lose as my interface does not work.