Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dt50/hd500 Switching Patches

TYBONE

Ok so im just getting use to the HD500 and DT50 combo. Love the whole deal but I am confused about a couple of things. First off I am very use to set ups like this ie:digital effects,tube amps, settings and such so if I missed something this is gonna sound like a dumb question. Whats the point of having 2 channels on the Dt50? All of my amps route through A. If I am running dual tones and switch to B there is no tone (cuz the main signal path is again A) I cant set up one Patch to be amp A and the next be amp B, which is what I wanted to do basically so my heavy tone on A would have a certain amount of reverb and my clean tone on B would have more. I of course can add the revervb on the hd500. Or use a footswitch and HD500 for effects only but Im back to basics stepping on 2 pedals to switch from clean/dirty. Am I making any sense? Just dont see what to use amp B for. Someone explain please My brain could be toast this morning.

Also all that aside when switching the patches on the POD from clean to dirty there is a lot of momentary delay and it is not smooth. Anyway to clean that up? In a tight transition on stage form clean to dirty it is almost no good how lunky the patch switch is and im not talkin about volume either as I have that set well. Sorry to drop these big questions on you boys, its been a tough weekend! ha!

Hi and welcome!

A lot a different questions ... I try to pick some up.

When using the DT50 with a POD HD the standard way to configure is running the rig OVER channel A. Channel B is not need with a POD HD. You can do everything you can do over channel A. This is the default usage. Channel B is for stand alone usage (without a POD HD) and a footswitch.

Some new users try to use this channel B as well with a POD HD. This is misleading too me and soon gets complicated and it is also limited what you can configure in your signal chain. For example all the effect blocks are only before the pre amp section and not behind when used channel B. So my recommendation is: DO NOT FOCUS ON CHANNEL B when used with POD HD. Setup your rig via channel A - the default setup. (And there is also no need to use a separate footswtch). There are some user which have integrated the channel B in their rig, but you should not start with that.

Use the pre amps from the POD HD to set the pre amp section of your tone. It is up to you how to use the reverb. Some use the reverb on the DT50 to save a slot in the signal chain. I do not run out with my slots. So I use the reverb from the POD HD.

Start with 3-4 basic presets like: clean, crunch, distorted, lead and only one amp and assign them to the POD HD. EQ- these basic presets with your amp EQ knobs to your taste. Once that is fine for you, add some effects in the signal chain.

Then you can build up from that. Think about what amps do you really need. Do not choose too much. The same applies to effects. The Line6 gear is great, but it can be a trap with all the possibilities and you may find yourself too quickly in a lot of complexity which you should avoid when starting. (This may sound a bit abstract and not from experience, but I have gone through all of that).

Switching your tones via the fotswitch over the POD HD. Switching presets with a complete different signal chain (amp blocks, effects, etc.) has a little delay. But this has never been a real issue for me when playing live.

I have always found good workarounds for that. When you choose the ABCD FS-Mode then you will cut for example the delay between two presets. That is something you to deal with. With the FS 5-8 mode the delay trails will be kept.

Clean sounds can been very smoothly morphed into distorted sounds via the expression pedal within the same preset: you can assign different parameter to toes and heel position. I use 2 pedals to switch effects and amp parameters. Works great for live performance.

I guess a lot of questions will come up at a later stage as well Ask them here, if you do not find already some answers in existing posts.

Good luck - hope that helps initially.

• Upvote 1

Wow Wolbai thanks a ton. I am very proficient with the patch set up so I understand everything you meant and have done it. And  what you said makes sense. Channel B is standalone only. I can live with that. I guess I just figured that most would be running a POD with this set up. And B seems useless. Technically it is. But I guess if anything ever fizzles out on Channe A I can configure my main signal path to run through B, kinda like a back up. HMM maybe.

I dont run things to crazy so I dont need it. But you really helped me with the ABCD-FS switch mode idea. I didnt even think there would be a difference. I am gonna switch to the FS 5-8 mode now and try it. I bet thats the difference I was lookin for. NICE!  Really lovin this set up. Thanks again.

Also, if you are experiencing a delay between patch changes on the DT50, making your patches use the same topology and class can improve the change speed. If it has to fire the relays between the topologies AND change from class a to a/b, there is bound to be latency.

The DT50 is worse for this than the 25 from what I've been told. I have a 25, so I can't compare. Just a tip I was told long ago to help with patch delay.

• Upvote 1