Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Replacement Tuners For The Jtv59?

Hi, I've been having some pretty annoying tuning issues with my JTV59. I'm looking to swap out the tuning machines. After looking at the forums, looks like someone liked these: TK-0976-010 Schaller 3X3 Chrome Locking Tuners, however they're 85.00, which seems pretty pricey. 

Have any of you had any luck with any other drop-in solutions? I REALLY do not want to drill new holes or anything. I'm looking for a straight replacement.

Thanks!

I went with the Shaller Gold 3x3:

http://www.allparts.com/TK-0976-002-Schaller-3X3-Gold-Locking-Tuners_p_3767.html

Drop-in replacement. As you noted in your first post, chrome is cheaper at $85 from allparts (possibly cheaper elsewhere). I tried the Gotoh but for me, I preferred the locking mechanism of the Shallers but I also preferred the size of the tuning head of the Shallers. They're physically bigger than the Gotoh heads and seemed to be more in balance with the size of the JTV59 headstock. Purely an individual aesthetic choice on that one.

I really like locking tuners even though I am not a big trem user.  Makes changing strings a snap.  The Planet Waves tuners even trim the string for you.  I have those on my Variax 500.  The locking tuners that came on my JTV69S seem fine but I have not changed strings on it yet.  It's about due though.

The JTV69 tuners (I assume the S model is the same as the original) are quite good.  For starters they are three-step staggered which gives an optimal wrap angle.  When I put the Mighty-Mite strat neck on my JTV69 I re-used the original tuning machines and they have been very stable and smooth to work with.  The "Sperzel-like" machines sold by Guitar Fetish sound similar, but they differ a bit visually.  Could be the same OEM manufacturer (Chinese?).

• 1 year later...

These bolt right on - I have these installed on my JTV-59 with Bigsby and they are easy to swap old / install new  

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Sperzel-Style-Locking-Tuners-3x3-Chrome_p_1172.html

I just changed out the tuners on my 59 and used these. Installed perfectly in about 30 minutes. They really won't help to keep my guitar in tune but changing strings is a lot easier.

I had bought the Grover 406Cs for my 59 from tips found on another older thread about the same topic. But then I saw stevekc's advice and link to the Sperzel Style Locking tuners 3x3 chrome drop ins in that thread. I like them on my 69 and also didn't care for the fact that the Grovers were mini and didn't have the twist locking cap on the back and preferred to have larger buttons. Installation was a snap and as stated by Rocco "They really won't help to keep my guitar in tune but changing strings is a lot easier." Thumbs up for these IMHO -http://www.guitarfet...ome_p_1172.html.

just my 2¢

If you string your guitar with locking tuners with less than 3/4 wrap on binding post , I find any JTV-59 will stay in tune better, particularly the "G" string which is always a battle after Mike Bloomfield style Blues String Bending / left hand Vibrato on LP style guitars. Lubricate the nut too. (dry Ivory Soap, Big Bends Nut Sauce or the new Planet Waves Equivalent work)
See my avatar on the left,  (my JTV-59 with B7 Bigsby) -  no way would this work and stay in tune if it didn't have the Locking Tuners installed too.

I just changed my tuners out last week - waited for warranty to wear off. I put some Stew Mac Guitar Grease on the nut - maybe just new strings for my tuning problem. Time will tell if I would withdraw my agreement above about tuning stability. I seem to be drawn to play my 69 more than the 59, so I'll probably find like you that the tuning becomes more stable.