Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects 4CM no effect change on some of my presets

chrismkane

Hi, I’m a big fan of the Helix products. I own the Helix Floor, HX Stomp and most recently the HX Effects. It worked fantastic for the first few months then I had to send my Bias Amp Head in for repair due to a Bluetooth issue. I use the 4 cable method.

well, when I hooked everything back up (I have things color-coded), I ran into a pretty severe glitch. I mainly use the first 8 channels on the Amp, controlled by a Midi cable and switched by my MeloAudio Midi Commander. Every time it switches to a amp setting the HX Effects switches to a different signal chain. And the 6 choices of effects are in view on the HX. This is how it should work, which it does. 

The problem is this...Let’s say I’m on my crunch channel. I have Effects to choose from. They are, Chorus, Phaser, Flanger then Pitch, Delay and Boost. I have the FX Loop in the Signal Chain and I have my selected channel sound. On this preset the Delay, Pitch and Boost, light up their color ring, but when pressed do nothing. The sound stays uneffected. I have updated through HX Edit, switched out every cable, guitar cables and Midi cables. Saved then reset HX Effects and still the same results. On my 3rd channel I have in the Signal Chain...Chorus, Phaser, Low Cut then on the bottom row I have Harmony, Delay and Boost. On this channel the only effect that works is the Chorus. And so on...

So I thought it might be the FX Loop so I plugged my guitar straight in to the HX Effects then straight into the front of my Amp and shut off the FX Loop and the Delay and everything worked but of course the Delay and Harmony sounds horrible without the Effects Loop.

This is less than 6 months old, what ideas does anyone have? I really liked my setup and I hope I can find an answer...

i welcome all advice or tips, thank you,

Chris

33425487-31B4-4D37-9386-5881BE2FCE61.jpeg

Just some thoughts. Make sure the FX Loop is enabled. Try a different FX loop (if the HX Effects has another one?).  Go from the FX Send into your pedals and then straight into the amp. If this works then the send is working.  Plug the pedals into the FX loop return and see if the sound works. If it doesn't then it might be the return.  check that the FX loop mix parameter is set to %100.

16 hours ago, chrismkane said:

Hi, I’m a big fan of the Helix products. I own the Helix Floor, HX Stomp and most recently the HX Effects. It worked fantastic for the first few months then I had to send my Bias Amp Head in for repair due to a Bluetooth issue. I use the 4 cable method.

well, when I hooked everything back up (I have things color-coded), I ran into a pretty severe glitch. I mainly use the first 8 channels on the Amp, controlled by a Midi cable and switched by my MeloAudio Midi Commander. Every time it switches to a amp setting the HX Effects switches to a different signal chain. And the 6 choices of effects are in view on the HX. This is how it should work, which it does. 

The problem is this...Let’s say I’m on my crunch channel. I have Effects to choose from. They are, Chorus, Phaser, Flanger then Pitch, Delay and Boost. I have the FX Loop in the Signal Chain and I have my selected channel sound. On this preset the Delay, Pitch and Boost, light up their color ring, but when pressed do nothing. The sound stays uneffected. I have updated through HX Edit, switched out every cable, guitar cables and Midi cables. Saved then reset HX Effects and still the same results. On my 3rd channel I have in the Signal Chain...Chorus, Phaser, Low Cut then on the bottom row I have Harmony, Delay and Boost. On this channel the only effect that works is the Chorus. And so on...

So I thought it might be the FX Loop so I plugged my guitar straight in to the HX Effects then straight into the front of my Amp and shut off the FX Loop and the Delay and everything worked but of course the Delay and Harmony sounds horrible without the Effects Loop.

This is less than 6 months old, what ideas does anyone have? I really liked my setup and I hope I can find an answer...

i welcome all advice or tips, thank you,

Chris

33425487-31B4-4D37-9386-5881BE2FCE61.jpeg

I'm completely baffled about the problem you're facing though I'm thinking about it.  Any great ideas and I'll pass them on.

However, I have a question for you.  What do you think of the Midi Commander?  I've looked really closely at that one for controlling the HX Stomp. 

1 hour ago, chrismkane said:

After further review and troubleshooting I have found out that everything before the FX loop in the HX Effects will not be heard. Everything after the loop is OK  and comes through nicely. . Does anybody have an answer to this? 

Actually I do vaguely remember facing something like this with the Stomp once and, at least in my case, it was that I'd flipped some easy to miss setting that borked the whole damn thing.

One starting point that I've found it's always good to check on if you haven't already, are all the levels set correctly (line/instrument level)?

4 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

I'm completely baffled about the problem you're facing though I'm thinking about it.  Any great ideas and I'll pass them on.

However, I have a question for you.  What do you think of the Midi Commander?  I've looked really closely at that one for controlling the HX Stomp. 

5 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

Just some thoughts. Make sure the FX Loop is enabled. Try a different FX loop (if the HX Effects has another one?).  Go from the FX Send into your pedals and then straight into the amp. If this works then the send is working.  Plug the pedals into the FX loop return and see if the sound works. If it doesn't then it might be the return.  check that the FX loop mix parameter is set to %100.

Hey! Great thoughts from both of you... Problem has been solved... When I received my Bias Amp Head back from repair I hooked everything up just like before and hence my problems started.

The tech from Positive Grid called me today and gave me a few things to try. First being a factory reset...I checked the HX and low and behold, it all works again! I didn’t think about a factory reset because the tech told me that he performed that during his bench testing. I guess it always pays to double check things...