Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connecting Jtv-69 To Computer

I just received my JTV-69 and I received two cables with it. One was a standard usb cable, and the other is a breakout box which says "variax in" on one side, and usb on the other. the "variax in" port is like a data connection cable and the out is standard midi.  Is the breakout box just for connecting an hd500, vetta, etc., and does the output of the variax double as a standard usb port? The pilot's guide does not give an explanation of how to connect the guitar to a computer and there is no advanced guide. Do I have to buy another cable to make this work? 

thanks in advance,

Chris

post-1791374-0-03215900-1386556717_thumb.jpg

You also need a Variax VDI cable that connects the JTV to the little black box!  It should have come with your guitar.  It is a cat5 cable with a special end on the Variax end.  The black box is your USB interface that you use to connect to your computer's usb port.  You are missing the VDI calbe though.

• Upvote 1

The VDI cable is a RJ-45 network cable with a special Neutrik shield on one end to protect the guitar.  You can use a standard CAT-5 or CAT-6 RJ-45 cable without the Neutrik shield, but be extremely careful not to get it stuck in the guitar.

One other thing, make sure that you also have a cable plugged into the 1/4" jack when updating in order to activate the battery

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 1 year later...

I have just bought a JTV69 guitar second hand and it does not seem to have the USB interface with it. Where can I get one of these? What I would like to do is to tweak the models using the software. I have the software downloaded but I cannot connect the guitar to it. I tried a straight connection of ethernet cable to the computer but that did not work! Also, if I get an HD500x would that mean that I don't need a USB connection to get into the editing software?

I have just bought a JTV69 guitar second hand and it does not seem to have the USB interface with it. Where can I get one of these? What I would like to do is to tweak the models using the software. I have the software downloaded but I cannot connect the guitar to it. I tried a straight connection of ethernet cable to the computer but that did not work! Also, if I get an HD500x would that mean that I don't need a USB connection to get into the editing software?

• 1 year later...

I just bought a JTV-89 used & the only thing that came with it is the charger.

I see that I can get the Variax Digital Interface for about $30, but where do I get the USB box?

L6 will be happy to sell you the USB dongle for the absurd price of $100. Sweetwater usually has them.

• Upvote 1