Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Plugging Direct To Pa And Monitoring Via Amp

scias23

I want to connect direct to pa via the xlr outputs, and at the same time, output my signal to my amplifier.

I have a spider 3 amp and the sound is horrible when plugging my pod hd500x to the amp. It sounds like the mids are more emphasized and I can't get the bass sounds tinny.

I've tried plugging the unbalanced out to a di box and plugging a 1/4 inch jack from the link output of the di box to the amplifier, and plugging the xlr output to the pa, but the monitor sound through my amp still sounds awful.

Any suggestions? 

If you want to send direct to the pa and monitor onstage then you will need to use a full range amp such as a keyboard amp.  The eq outputs for a PA should be studio direct which will not sound good when sent to a guitar amp.  If you set up for your amp to sound good then you should just mike it.

If you want to send direct to the pa and monitor onstage then you will need to use a full range amp such as a keyboard amp.  The eq outputs for a PA should be studio direct which will not sound good when sent to a guitar amp.  If you set up for your amp to sound good then you should just mike it.

Is there any other way other than using a full range amp?

If your guitar amp has an Effects Return, you can plug the PODHD into that.  That bypasses the preamp of your guitar amp and just uses the power amp section.  Basically giving you a full range amp.  I do this all the time.

It seems that the Spider III amp doesn't have an effects return.

I am not sure that going into the effect return would give you the results you want even if the spider had one.  Joel Brown may be absolutely right, and it has been a long time since I have used a guitar amp, but I still think the EQ bias of the guitar amp speaker itself wont match the PA.  But like I said I could be wrong on this.

I personally use a 50 watt behringer kybd amp (180 bucks) to monitor my sound on stage or fold back through the bands monitor system.  I run the sound for my band so I can give myself custom monitor mix if I need to.  I am not sure what options you have in that department.

Have you ever gotten a good sound running the PODHD into the Spider?  Another option would be running the PODHD into the spider using the Amplifier output mode (I apologise I don't know the mode name for going into a guitar amp) and see if you get a sound that you like from the Spider and then mike it.  But all of the presets that sound good in the spider will probably not sound so hot when you record or send direct to the PA.

Hope this helps.