Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv59 Mags Drop In Volume While Playing

I was noodling around on my JTV59 this afternoon. I had the battery in and it was showing 2 green lights. I had it connected via 1/4 inch jack direct to my Session amp and was playing at very low at home volume level.  I did not have the modelling on.  I was just using the mags and I had the pickup selector down using the bridge pickup on its own.  I was using the overdrive channel and noodling away when suddenly the volume dropped to about 50-60%.  I was mystified. So I just flipped the pickup switch up and back down again and voila volume restored.  I then noodled some more and bang it happened again, so I just flicked the pickup selector switch up and down a couple of times and full volume came back.  This happened about two more times - all in the space of about 15 minutes worth of noodling.

I usually use my JTV59 via VDI connected to an HD500 for band usage and I don't usually use the mags - so I have never hit this problem before.  I have had the JTV59 from soon after they were first launched and it did have the new format pickup selector switch not one of the original faulty ones.

Has any other JTV59 owner had this happen to them?  And if so, was it a one off or did it happen again and was there a solution for it?   I am wondering if I should just squirt some contact cleaner on the internals of the selector switch?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I've the same issue once or twice in the few months I've had a JTV59.  No idea what causes it though.  Did the same as you and flicked back and forth once or twice and it sorted itself.  Would be annoying on  a

gig though.

Thanks for the reply - glad to know that I am not on my own with this problem.

Have you raised a support ticket with Line6 to see what they say?   Thanks.

Hello together,

I had that exact same problem some months ago and sent the guitar to Line6. They exchanged the pickup, which came out to be faulty, and now it works. I mean the pickup thing works. Now I have other issues... Guitar is on it's way to Line6 for the fourth time actually...

Hello together,

I had that exact same problem some months ago and sent the guitar to Line6. They exchanged the pickup, which came out to be faulty, and now it works. I mean the pickup thing works. Now I have other issues... Guitar is on it's way to Line6 for the fourth time actually...

Thanks for your input.   So it could possibly be a bad pickup.    Sorry to hear that you have had problems and that the guitar is going back for a 4th time.   Well, that is 3 of us, so I am not hitting a completely unknown problem.  Time for me to raise a Support Ticket and see what L6 have to say ...

I raised a ticket with L6 Support and they came back with advice to try re-installing the firmware first and if that did not fix it then it would need to be sent in to their service centre to take a look.  As I am now out of warranty, sending it in will be an expensive exercise, so I will only do that if it becomes a persistent problem and affects me when I am connected to the HD500 via VDI as that is my usual setup.  For now I can live with it being a bit flakey for the rare occasion I use it with mags stand alone.  But first, I guess it is worth trying the firmware re-install, although I am concerned it may go wrong and cause more problems and more importantly, I don't see how the firmware can affect the mags when modelling is switched off as is the case with this problem.   I may see if I can get a local guitar tech to take a look as it may just need a contact cleaning or something very simple to resolve. 

• 2 weeks later...

I raised a ticket with L6 Support and they came back with advice to try re-installing the firmware first and if that did not fix it then it would need to be sent in to their service centre to take a look.  

That's where I'm at, too. The firmware flash did nothing to fix the issue. It is currently en-route to them.

• 2 weeks later...

That's where I'm at, too. The firmware flash did nothing to fix the issue. It is currently en-route to them.

Sorry to hear that guitar4u.

I have had to rollback to v1.71 firmware because of a problem with a popping noise when changing patches that swap JTV models on my HD500.  With v2.0 loud pops with v1.71 silent changes.  See thread http://line6.com/support/topic/4801-jtv59-popping-noise-changing-models-though-hd500/

I have not experienced the mag pup volume drop again but I have not had the chance to sit and play with the JTV just on battery and just using mags - I will have to find time to do that to see if my mag pup problem has gone with the different fw.

How are you getting on with your problem?  Has your JTV reached L6 and been looked at yet?  Have they given you an update?   Thanks.

How are you getting on with your problem?  Has your JTV reached L6 and been looked at yet?  Have they given you an update?   Thanks.

Thanks for asking, edstar. It was shipped to Line 6 two weeks ago. I have not heard anything from them, yet. FedEx confirmed delivery though because a signature was required. I asked for an update on the ticket last week. No news.  :unsure:

Thanks for asking, edstar. It was shipped to Line 6 two weeks ago. I have not heard anything from them, yet. FedEx confirmed delivery though because a signature was required. I asked for an update on the ticket last week. No news.  :unsure:

Sadly, I had this exact issu last night and this thread isn't encouraging.  I can tell you why they always tell you to reinstall firmware...it's a time killer and YOU deal with it.  The reality is that if it was fine one day and not the next, a COMPONENT of the guitar is the problem be it the firmware memory or something mechanical.  I light tap on the lower bout of mine last night solved it for a while, which lends itself to a mechanical (switch, pickup, both?) issue.

BTW, since Line6 was just acquired by Yamaha, I can almost gaurantee that people are jumping through flaming hoops at Line6 right now trying to figure out the asses from a hole in the ground under new management -- meaning they may not get to your ticket for a while.  Not trying to be a downer, but perhaps a personal call to Calabasas is in order if you keep getting that Great Wall treatment...

I light tap on the lower bout of mine last night solved it for a while, which lends itself to a mechanical (switch, pickup, both?) issue.

I got similar results by tapping on the volume knob; it seems to wake the pick up up a bit. Very strange! There's definitely something mechanically wrong, and it appears to be happening a multiple guitars. I think the technology is flawed.

"Reflash the firmware" is the musical equivalent of "eat more salads and get some exercise" when your MD has no friggin' idea whats wrong with your gut...lol

Agreed. And the damn thing is.....just like diet and exercise..... it actually often works!

Mines been doing something similar for about a year now , when I'm playing through the mags switch to the neck pup and complete silence , quick jiggle on the selector switch and it kicks back in , no issues with the modelling side plus I've rolled back because the hd upgrade is a joke so it's nothing to do with the software , seem to remember an issue with the selector switch having too much flux/ solder when the guitars first started shipping out but can't remember if it was effecting the mags or the modelled sounds .love the way it waited till the warranty was up before surfacing .