Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using a very low impedance mic with the Helix not really working out so well

tjbassoon

So I'm trying out this mic for acoustic guitar, the kind that you clip on and you can blend with your under the saddle if you want. Was planning on running this into the Helix for compression/EQ/verb. Normally don't use acoustic with a floorboard but if you have it at the gig as your DI and everything anyway why not?

The mic has a small preamp that's battery powered, but very low voltage, runs on a watch style battery.

This mic sounds pretty good going straight into the instrument channel of my AER Compact 60 amp, and even better through it's mic channel (which has a hybrid XLR/1/4" jack, using the 1/4" input). But into my FRFR speakers directly or into the Helix Guitar In the sound is terribly weak. The manufacturer of the mic said it's likely an impedance mis-match.

I have an 1/4"-XLR adapter to try plugging the mic into the actual microphone input on order, which might be my best solution. Aside from that, or if that doesn't work, what else do you think I could do with the Helix to get the gain where it's meant to be? Even with the weak sound, I was managing to get some woofy feedback with some compression settings, so I'm not so sure that a simple gain block is the way to go.

2 minutes ago, zolko60 said:

What mic? What Helix? Why 1/4-XLR adapter? Why guitar input?

https://www.myerspickups.com/products/the-feather

Helix Floor

Because the mic manufacturer suspected the impedance would be matched better with an XLR adapter, even though the mic has a 1/4" out.

Because the microphone uses a 1/4" inch out, so that would be my default option. 

There are some specs. 2kohm output impedance. Not really low, not really high. Does it only have 1/4" TS jack output?
It should work fine with Helix FL XLR mic input even with cold to ground connection. If you have DAW, you can check how loud Helix mic pre can drive it. 
I don't recommend guitar input or DI box.

Yeah, the mic only has a 1/4" out. I was testing some comparisons between it, an SM58, the Helix, my Voicelive 3, and direct into my amp or into a powered PA.

Powered PA definitely works much better direct with the XLR adapter. Much better gain, although I don't care for the sound.

Both the Helix mic in, and my Voicelive 3 have real issues with getting a worthwhile sound out of it. Very low gain and feedback starts quite early. regardless if I go into the amp or into the PA speakers.

So far the only good configuration I have come up with is the microphone input of my AER Compact 60. That has a good level of gain and presence without feedback. It's the only setting I can get handling noise on the mics long before feedback is an issue, which should be the level of sensitivity these mics produce.

AUX input has 10kohm impedance. If indeed Hx Floor mic input gives you too much gain you can try this. It has fixed gain, right? Is it the same as guitar input (10dBu=0dBFS)?
But please consider that feedback threshold is not the matter of preamp gain but how loud your monitor is set. It is better to keep about 10dB of input headroom and master volume lower than 40dB of headroom and master volume up.

Aux seemed to work better than Guitar, and actually better than Mic, although Mic gave me more options with gain in the globals.

Turning down my speakers did let me get more "hot" sound from the mics, but still not as present as I can get skipping the Helix all together in either the powered PA or my AER amp.