Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Getting the Best sound from the Helix in Live situation

darren1982

I'm planning to run guitar into Helix and then sending it to front of house. On occasions I will use my EV ZLX-12P for a monitor.

Has the current Helix solved the Phantom Power thing i have been reading? Or do i need a blocker or a DI? 

Whats the best, smallest, best sounding Blocker/DI thats doesn't colour the sound out there? Just need to make sure the channel i plug into doesn't accidentally get phantom power sent to it. Not the best design really. 

I'm very new to all this so how would the Helix be connected up? I'm guessing XLR would be better with longer runs to get sent to front of house, and 1/4 jack to the EV ZLX?

For Home

Is it best to always run it though a speaker(s)? As apposed to headphones as i have read the headphone input isn't great and you don't get the true sound? 

The phantom power issue is still there.  I use a stereo DI box, which also blocks the phantom power.  It also has a left and right 1/4" pass-through outputs so you can connect your monitors.  Here's the link if you're interested.  It's built like a tank and sounds great.

At home I use both the headphone jack with the same pair of IEMs I use on stage.  When the wife isn't home or when patch building, I use a QEC K10.2 cranked up to gig level.

Hope this helps a bit.

Here's the phantom power blocker I've used with my Helix for the last 3 1/2 years.

Sescom Phantom Power Blocker

I've never noticed any coloration from this or from any DI box, so that shouldn't be a worry.  I've used various powered speakers with my Helix all of which have worked quite well.  The one I use most is a Yamaha DXR12, but I've also used the EV ZLX-12P, as well as a QSC CP8.  In all cases I go 1/4" out to the powered speaker via the L/Mono 1/4" out at line level, and then XLR out to the mixing board.  In my case I use the settings in the global ins/outs to disconnect the Helix master volume knob from affecting the XLR out, and send it to the board at Mic level.  That way I don't affect the board level if I need to make any adjustments to the stage volume.