Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Edit question

palladinojt

Just upgraded to a Helix from a Pod X3 Pro a few days ago; loving it so far but am slogging through the learning curve between GearBox and HX Edit.  A few questions:

(1) I've taken a factory present tone and copy/pasted it into one of the vacant USER banks to use as a starting point for customization.  I want to create a Dual Tone, so I want to take a second factory present and copy/paste it into the second signal path of the same USER bank to which I pasted the first preset.  When I try to do this, it pastes the entire patch/tone over the entire USER bank, so I still only have one tone in the first signal path (the new/second one), but not both.  I haven't been able to figure out how to do this yet.  Any help would be appreciated.

(2) Is there any way to copy/paste multiple blocks simultaneously, or can you only copy one at a time?

12 hours ago, palladinojt said:

Thanks.  Any thoughts/advice on the first question?

You'll have to do the same thing as the second question which is copy each element individually into your second path.  When you copy/paste an entire preset, you're copying the preset as it exists including path.

Thanks.  One more question - does HX Edit have any sort of VU meter or output level readout?  I'll be creating Dual Tones w/Tone 1 panned hard left and Tone 2 panned hard right, and I'd like to be able to see each tones output level so that I can match them as close as possible.  So far I haven't seen anything like that.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, palladinojt said:

Thanks.  One more question - does HX Edit have any sort of VU meter or output level readout?  I'll be creating Dual Tones w/Tone 1 panned hard left and Tone 2 panned hard right, and I'd like to be able to see each tones output level so that I can match them as close as possible.  So far I haven't seen anything like that.  Thanks!

Once again no luck on that one.  It's been an often asked for capability, but so far no luck.  Just remember that although HX Edit runs as a software program, it's only capabilities other than operations with the computer storage devices, are only what the Helix itself provides.  I personally use a small Alesis mixing board with signal meters that I hook up to when dialing in my tones on the Helix.

Thanks.  Yeah - what I've done in the past w/my Pod X3 Pro is opened a session in Studio One and sent each tone in the patch to a channel input - that would allow me to monitor and compare the tone levels and match them.  Would be nice to have it all within HX Edit but can make do without.

23 hours ago, prudenjim said:

Welcome to the Helix party.

You will have to copy and paste one block at a time.  I’d try and align the two presets next to each other (1A, 1B).

Warning.  Save after EVERY paste.

If you're copying a lot of blocks it might be quicker to copy the entire preset to an empty spot and make your changes to the new one.

That's what started this whole line of questioning - I want to copy an entire preset, but paste it into the SECOND signal path of a pre-existing bank (without overwriting the first signal path in that bank).  As far as I can tell, I can't do that.  That's why I'm copying the blocks one-by-one.

Another question regarding Snapshots - seems like from one Snapshot to the next I can have different blocks/elements switched on or off, but I cant make other changes.  For example, I can't have a signal path where in Snapshot 1 the Drive on the amp is set to 4, but in Snapshot 2 the Drive is set to 7.  If I change that parameter, it changes it in every Snapshot.  Is that correct?

51 minutes ago, palladinojt said:

That's what started this whole line of questioning - I want to copy an entire preset, but paste it into the SECOND signal path of a pre-existing bank (without overwriting the first signal path in that bank).  As far as I can tell, I can't do that.  That's why I'm copying the blocks one-by-one.

Another question regarding Snapshots - seems like from one Snapshot to the next I can have different blocks/elements switched on or off, but I cant make other changes.  For example, I can't have a signal path where in Snapshot 1 the Drive on the amp is set to 4, but in Snapshot 2 the Drive is set to 7.  If I change that parameter, it changes it in every Snapshot.  Is that correct?

Answer to your first question: This is not possible.  You can’t copy an existing preset into part of another preset.

Answer to your second question: I don’t use snapshots that often, but I have noticed the same behavior when copying blocks from other presets into different snapshots on a new preset.  I was actually trying to consolidate multiple preset amp block settings into one preset using different snapshots.  I do believe you can change the block parameters in the snapshots, but copying individual blocks from other presets kept overwriting the settings on the other snapshots that I had saved previously.

I tried this last night and actually raised this question on another thread today.

1 hour ago, VirtualGuitars said:

Answer to your first question: This is not possible.  You can’t copy an existing preset into part of another preset.

Answer to your second question: I don’t use snapshots that often, but I have noticed the same behavior when copying blocks from other presets into different snapshots on a new preset.  I was actually trying to consolidate multiple preset amp block settings into one preset using different snapshots.  I do believe you can change the block parameters in the snapshots, but copying individual blocks from other presets kept overwriting the settings on the other snapshots that I had saved previously.

I tried this last night and actually raised this question on another thread today.

This was quite a surprise coming from a Pod X3 Pro and GearBox, where this is basic functionality. I could open one preset in Tone 1, open another preset in Tone 2, save as a Dual Tone, and tweak each to my needs. We seem to have taken a rather bizarre and inexplicable step backwards with HX Edit in that regard.

So far I have NOT been able to edit a block parameter in one Snapshot without it also changing in the others. I can only set bypass on/off to be Snapshot-specific.

6 hours ago, palladinojt said:

This was quite a surprise coming from a Pod X3 Pro and GearBox, where this is basic functionality. I could open one preset in Tone 1, open another preset in Tone 2, save as a Dual Tone, and tweak each to my needs. We seem to have taken a rather bizarre and inexplicable step backwards with HX Edit in that regard.

So far I have NOT been able to edit a block parameter in one Snapshot without it also changing in the others. I can only set bypass on/off to be Snapshot-specific.

Have you pushed in the dial on that parameter when you turn it so that it's bracketed?  That's what designates that the change is associated with the current snapshot.  Then you save that snapshot.  You may want to re-read the manual on snapshots so you understand the concepts.

3 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

Have you pushed in the dial on that parameter when you turn it so that it's bracketed?  That's what designates that the change is associated with the current snapshot.  Then you save that snapshot.  You may want to re-read the manual on snapshots so you understand the concepts.

Thanks.  I'm typically working through HX Edit from my PC rather than on the front panel of the unit itself.  I had the Helix owner's manual that comes with the unit but didn't find the separate manual for HX Edit specifically until later; I believe I found  what I was looking for in there.  Will test tonight to confirm.