Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

All Reverbs Sound Almost The Same with Same Parameters

rjwilson49

Good Morning,

I am having a problem getting the Reverb effect I want.  While switching between the different Reverbs, they all pretty much sound the same and have the same choices on my tablet for the selection of parameters like decay/mix/ etc......  I am not going into the effects loop in the back of my amp, I am just plugging straight into the amp.  Should I maybe move where the Reverb is in the chain while in the FireHawk app, or are others having the same problem with all Reverbs sounding pretty much the same?

3 hours ago, rjwilson49 said:

Good Morning,

I am having a problem getting the Reverb effect I want.  While switching between the different Reverbs, they all pretty much sound the same and have the same choices on my tablet for the selection of parameters like decay/mix/ etc......  I am not going into the effects loop in the back of my amp, I am just plugging straight into the amp.  Should I maybe move where the Reverb is in the chain while in the FireHawk app, or are others having the same problem with all Reverbs sounding pretty much the same?

I never felt they sounded the same. The particle verb, for example, sounds vastly different than a standard plate reverb. 

Where do you have the reverb in your chain?  I usually put it at the very end, but where you're going direct into the front of the amp it is probably destroying a lot of the nuance of the reverb. 

Personally, I'd go four cable method where you say it has an effects loop and put the reverb in the effects loop. 

1 hour ago, rjwilson49 said:

Thanks, I will lookup how to run the 4 cable method and see how this works for me. 

Just to give a quick fly by, four cable can sound complex but it's not as bad a hairball as it seems. The Firehawk makes it especially easy. Here's how I'd run it:

Pre Steps:

1. Have four 1/4 " cables - hence the name. 

2. In signal chain of Firehawk, set amp/cab block to be empty - no amp or cab. 

3. In signal chain, set FX block to active, and either before empty amp/cab block or after (I prefer it after - some prefer it before - test and see what you like). 

4. Design signal chain so that effects you'd like BEFORE your real pre-amp are before the amp/cab block on the Firehawk, and effects you'd like in the effects loop of your real amp are after the amp/cab block of the Firehawk. 

Connections:

1. Guitar plugged in to "guitar in" of Firehawk FX.

2. 1/4 cable from FX send of Firehawk to "guitar in" of amp.

3. 1/4 cable from effects loop send of amp to FX return of Firehawk. 

4. 1/4 cable from Firehawk main out to effects loop return of real amp.

Walla. Four cable. 

Ok, so I hooked it up this way and now I don't have any control of my Dark Terror.  The Volume, Gain and Shape don't do much of anything at all.  Everything is controlled by the FireHawk FX, where I can't use my amps gain/volume/shape at all.

4 hours ago, rjwilson49 said:

Ok, so I hooked it up this way and now I don't have any control of my Dark Terror.  The Volume, Gain and Shape don't do much of anything at all.  Everything is controlled by the FireHawk FX, where I can't use my amps gain/volume/shape at all.

I ran into the same thing once, and at least in my case, it was just that I had a setting off. Here's some things I would double check:

1. Ensure FX loop mix is set to 100%. 

2. Set Firehawk loop to "stomp," not line.

3. Set Firehawk output to "line," not "stomp."

That's the first place I'd start. If your amp has a switch for its effects loop to be line or instrument, set up the above and if it doesn't work, flip the switch and test again.

Also, the thread below has tons more discussion and even a diagram or two:

Thanks, I will give this a shot and it I can't get it working I will just use the 3 cable method for normal effects loop.  I have a Dark Terror, there is not effects on or off or anything like that.

Guitar to Amp Input,

Amp Send FX to Firehawk Guitar Input

Firehawk Send to Amp Return FX