Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

name, store, recall of multiple Global EQ's in Helix

bart2580

Would it be nice that you can store your favorite global EQ setting with a title in the global settings? So you can choose depending on the acoustic response of the room or space you're playing in. Back for a gig in that bar again? Just recall your global of the previous gig and you're good. Just enjoy playing without thinking 'why does my sound suck today? what should i do after this song? ' .

This idea is mentioned multiple times on FB: Helix Family Group. After one of us posted that idea again on FB, i think it's time to release this idea in a future update. I don't think it's hard to program that option.

in your preset, just push the bypass button to engage the global EQ, like it is now. After that a screen option pops up to dial or confirm your favorite global EQ.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 3/19/2019 at 6:02 PM, bart2580 said:

Would it be nice that you can store your favorite global EQ setting with a title in the global settings

Hi,

If you have suggestions for anything you feel might be missing from, or could improve the Helix range of products, then you really need to post to:

https://line6.ideascale.com/

This is simply a “user forum” and it is very rare that any member of Line 6 staff would bother to pick up on anything that you may post here. In fact you would have greater chance on your FB Helix Family Group, where Frank R and Digital_Igloo are regular correspondents.

If you post to Ideascale, first make sure that the suggestion is not already on there, as that would dilute the amount of votes given which gets it higher on the list.

Hope this makes sense.

20 hours ago, Seanlava said:

Yes! Great idea! Being able to save EQs for different rooms, or even different volume levels, would be a big timesaver.

You should check my post above - re: Ideascale.

EDIT

Damn - I’ve just seen the date on the OP - This is a Zombie thread, it’s not like it ever got started!

5 hours ago, bart2580 said:

I just posted it on line6.ideascale.com. i hope they see the benefit of this idea. cheers

Hi, again,

You do realise that your Global EQ settings are already being saved from within HX Edit?

Example: You go to a gig and soundcheck, adjust the Global EQ of you Helix to suit the venue. Do gig, everybody has a great time, sounds excellent. Pack up, go home and then hook up to HX Edit and make a backup. This is the bit that takes a while because the option to save only the Globals is not there, you have to save a full .hbx file. O.K. name that backup to match the venue. Next time you have a gig at the same place, go to HX Edit and select "Restore from Backup" for the relevant venue and only check the "Global Settings" option. Then you can download the needed Global EQ settings back into your Helix. Done! Long way round, but it works for now.

Hope this helps/makes sense (until the option to save only global info is available)

I did use that workaround in the past. it's a way to do it. It's way faster to recall the EQ on the spot. i want to avoid surprises when i arrive at the gig and the venue or PA is completely the opposite as described. It should be an easy feature with little memory space and cpu usage. I could name it: outside, hall, bar, high ceiling...end so on. Thanks for replying. Cheers.

• Thanks 1

I guess I'm not sure I'm getting the drift here.  In the last 4 years I've never had to touch my global EQ.  I leave that to the sound crew if something needs to be adapted for the acoustics of the room.  That's because whatever acoustic differences are affecting me, they're equally affecting every other channel on the mixing board so that type of global adjustments should be done solely on the master FOH outputs for the room.  What am I missing here?

In fact, in most cases nowadays with digital mixers, they have a way to save their presets for each band in a given room.

If you just play on a amp/pa without band, more settings for the global eq would be good. (think there were already several ideas on line6.ideascale)

I almost never touched my global EQ, because the EQ is not very useful. You can not save different settings for different locations and it's only a 3-Band EQ (+low/highcut)

So I use an external equalizer, which also has a nice autoEQ feature.

2 hours ago, Peter said:

If you just play on a amp/pa without band, more settings for the global eq would be good. (think there were already several ideas on line6.ideascale)

I almost never touched my global EQ, because the EQ is not very useful. You can not save different settings for different locations and it's only a 3-Band EQ (+low/highcut)

So I use an external equalizer, which also has a nice autoEQ feature.

Could you please tell me what external EQ you use?

7 hours ago, marcusdg said:

Could you please tell me what external EQ you use?

I use a dbx DriveRack PA2. It's my EQ and the crossover for my PA, also has some other useful features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8wXg8FRyvQ

If you don't need a crossover, the Behringer DEQ2496 Ultra-Curve has similar features.

• Upvote 1

My helix goes direct.... all of the time. I hear myself through my monitor mix, and sometimes through an FRFR. 

I never touch the global EQ, I actually re-purposed it as a variable PAD for the XLR outputs.

IME... If the stage monitors are EQ'd properly I know the Helix will sound good with no further adjustments. If they are not EQ'd properly - I'll ask for some adjustment on the channel strip. If I am using an FRFR and need anything other than flat, I'll do a small adjustment on FRFR itself. Those types of small changes can be done in the moment... even if you do use the global EQ. That tool (global EQ) isn't for tone shaping, it's a general case of "roll off a little here or there"... at most I can't see it saving more than 15 seconds in any given room. 

Just my 2 cents... :)