Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any scuttlebutt about the KoT configuration in 2.8?

Verne-Bunsen

So, the 2.8 pre-release notes already spilled the beans about including a model of the Analogman King Of Tone, but has there been any chatter about how it will be set up? The current version of the pedal is basically two independent pedals in one enclosure, each configurable between three “modes” (gain ranges) with internal DIP switches and an optional higher gain modification that can be requested when the pedal is built. I wonder if the model will have both sides in one block or if  you just run two instances to get “both sides”? Will we get the option to pick DIP switch settings? Will the higher gain modification be a selectable option? Will it take 14 months to load after you select it (for realism...)?

I don’t generally get too starry eyed about upcoming goodies, but this one does have my heart thumping a bit. I use the Helix Deluxe Reverb almost exclusively these days, and the KoT was pretty much designed around Jim Weider’s 60s Deluxe Reverb. I anticipate awesomeness.... 

I'm very stoked too, but to my knowledge there's been no explanation of how it will work, but instead a brief rundown of its history. As I recall, it was actually a largely finished model before the Helix was even released, but that the guy who owned their copy of the King of Tone that it was built from left the company and took the pedal with him before they could go forward with proper A and B testing. 

Without the ability to test the accuracy, it was held back, and then largely forgotten . . . until it was recently uncovered, and I guess now they have a way to test it. 

I'm hoping it's as accurate as possible (other than the 14 months part) and hope that it is one block that can select either side. I'd be happy with two blocks though if that's the only way.

I'm pretty stoked for it though.  Too bad it sounds like it's still a few months off . . .

Interesting, I wasn’t aware of the back story. Maybe they decided to buy one for the cause and finally made it to the top of the list? 

I don’t want to start down the release date rabbit hole, but a few months yet is further out than I was guessing. Ah well, it does a guy good to have to wait for something now and again...