Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Has Any Effect in the Helix Inspired You to Purchase the Real Pedal?

TRENDKILLCFH333

That could get very expensive. I have some nice pedals that thankfully I didn't have to sell to afford the Helix, but I couldn't afford to be running out buying the real deal versions of everything I like in Helix. I'd be divorced. Helix does pedals incredibly well, so thankfully I don't have to.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TRENDKILLCFH333 said:

Has anyone else purchased the real pedal after using Line 6's version in the Helix? 

No, but I sold most of mine in the year after getting Helix... Like crusinon2, I find the beauty of Helix lies in its not being an analogue pedal board (or amp, cab etc). That's why I bought it :-)

18 hours ago, TRENDKILLCFH333 said:

I love the Kinky Boost and Kinky Compressor and therefore got the Xotic Boost and Xotic Compressor to add to my analog pedalboard.  

To be honest, I haven't bought a single piece of analog gear since I got my Helix.... but I've sold some. 

1 hour ago, gunpointmetal said:

Yeah, I went the complete opposite way. If I find a pedal I like in Helix, it makes me glad I DON'T have to go buy the real deal to get the sounds.

lol... honestly I find the question a little puzzling. If I find something I like in Helix, isn't the problem solved? ;)

My first thought will never be, "I'd better run out and spend more money to re-aquire the same thing I've got right here".  Maybe it's me...

• Like 1

I mean, similar to everyone else . . . for me the joy of digital modelling is that I DO NOT need to buy the real pedal.

That's part of what makes an HX update like Christmas. I have always wanted a King of Tone. It's very expensive, and the wait is even worse.

If the HX model is done well, I can simply cross it off my list and never look at it again. It's amazing!

The only pedals I'm ever tempted to buy are the ones that aren't modeled very well if at all (like the newer Digitech Drop). There's something fun about buying a pedal, but only if I can't get it any other way. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

lol... honestly I find the question a little puzzling. If I find something I like in Helix, well there it is. Problem solved. My first thought will never be, "I'd better run out and spend more money to re-aquire this thing I've got right here".  Maybe it's me...

I think some people just really, really, REALLY love gear, and love having their analog rig, their digital rig, their hybrid rig, and that's totally cool and awesome. For me this stuff is tools I use to accomplish a goal and the better my Swiss Army knife, the less tools I need to have. I'm a total gear nerd, and probably know specs on lollipop I'd never even dream of buying, but at the end of the day, I want my rig to get me on stage fast, do everything I need it to do while I'm there, and get me off stage even faster. Adding more cables/pedals would not help me there.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

I think some people just really, really, REALLY love gear, and love having their analog rig, their digital rig, their hybrid rig, and that's totally cool and awesome. For me this stuff is tools I use to accomplish a goal and the better my Swiss Army knife, the less tools I need to have. I'm a total gear nerd, and probably know specs on lollipop I'd never even dream of buying, but at the end of the day, I want my rig to get me on stage fast, do everything I need it to do while I'm there, and get me off stage even faster. Adding more cables/pedals would not help me there.

I like gear...I also like money, lol. Unfortunately for me, in the absence of divine intervention or a winning lottery ticket, I'm doomed to having limited supplies of both ;). As long as that's the case, the idea of doubling up on multiple versions of the same thing will always seem odd to me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well.......I'm a bit of a gear nut, no shame here!  Looks like I'm alone on this one and that's OK with me.   : )  

While I like the convenience of effects processors, I just can't help but feel that there is an organic difference in sound with tube amps and analog gear.  So when I find something that works well on the Helix, my curiosity makes me try it out via analog.  The HX Effects has been awesome to integrate with my pedal board using the FX loops for other pedals.  

I like all different types of setups though and find it entertaining to learn about other player's.   It's always interesting to hear another perspective or approach.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vstrattomusic said:

Yes, I now have a hard on for the SLO 100, but that started with Amplitube many years ago. The 5150 too but not because it sounds too great but because it just works.

I'll admit, I've been eyeing the PRS Archon - I think it's the best preamp in the Helix - again, makes me curious about the real deal.  

I suppose I fall in to this category, but not in the same way as you guys are talking about. I wasn’t crazy about Helix’s Spring Reverb so I was inspired to buy a Malekko Spring Chicken. I couldn’t get on with any of Helix’s fuzzes, so I was inspired to buy an Earthquaker Erupter. They both play very nicely with Helix. This isn’t a slight against Helix, I don’t expect any piece of equipment to be “perfect” for me without some work. I modify my guitars and my amps and supplementing Helix’s impressive compliment of sounds is much the same. I may have just recently sold my last tube amp to finance a Strymon Big Sky too, eagerly awaiting delivery... 

• Like 1