Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Powercab or L2T/L3T

Profett

I've never had the stagesource but i've used an active speaker with my Helix before (Yamaha DBR10).

I wasn't satisfied at home with the feeling of mic'd amp....

The Powercab familly brings you closer to the "amp in the room" feeling.

Nevertheless, some are not bothered with the speaker sound....Hard to tell what to prefer...

Powercab is smaller and lighter than my L2t (different shape). The sound at least when using speaker models is less clinical without doing significant high cuts.

One big difference is that Powercab is a co-axial speaker so when close up there isn't a noticeable separation between woofer and tweeter; the L2t has a wider dispersion pattern while powercab is more like a normal guitar cab.

You have to try one - if you an find a store that stocks them. I did and liked it a lot, but haven't been able to justify buying to replace yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using two L3's as studio monitors and for Helix in my little 12x14 office space - total overkill but stereo sounds are awesome.  I also have an L2 for use at church as an onstage personal monitor.  While my L2 and L3s are a lot easier to move around (with the Line 6 wheeled case) I wish I had access to a Powercab a long time ago.  With PC+, I can send the exact same signal processing and level that I'm getting on stage to FOH.  That aside, while I've always been impressed with Helix's amp modeling capabilities, I'm feeling like I'm truly getting the actual sound of various real amps - for the very first time.  This is when using PC+ in Flat_LFraw mode with whatever amp sim and no cab sim what-so-ever on either the Helix or the PC+.  My guitar volume knob is much more responsive and no more battle with brash highs and muddy lows.   The PC+ can do anything that the Stagesources can do, and more, in regards specifically to guitar play (they're obviously not 1400 watt PA speakers).  If you actually 'need' a PA speaker, then that would support a case for sticking with your L3.  But if you're just needing a guitar speaker/monitor, I' would switch in a heart-beat.  P.S. - my advice is based upon my personal playing style.  I don't play heavy metal.  I haven't even tried getting the 'chunk' or 'djent' out of the PC+ yet.  It's possible that the L3 is better suited for that purpose.

Thanxs to SteveFrance  Rewolf48  and JLondon for your differentiated posts. It really makes sense to test the powercab at home. A lot of pros and cons facin the comparison between L3 L2 and powercab. I believe it ist worth to order Powercab. Looking forward :-)

Thanks again Profett