Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

gigisama

Hello, hello.
First posting on the forum, so yay.

Too bad it's for an ugly, annoying issue:

Using Windows 8.1, I'm consistently being stuck with a BSOD when recording / monitoring through Cubase.
It happens at random, really. Sometimes I could be working for forty-five minutes to an hour or two, and other times I'll be slapped with that big, aggravating " :( " in a matter of minutes.

The problem is always cited as 

"SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

L6PODHD564.sys"

Computer collects information to prevent data loss, blah blah blah... is supposed to restart automatically, but never does.

I've looked around the web a bit before showing up, and apparently it's a driver conflict? There are known issues with Logitech webcams and the HD500 drivers, but having disconnected / disabled the webcam, I still run into frequent BSOD's.

I've made sure all of my drivers are up-to-date, and I've checked all of m L6 stuff to make sure that it, too, is updated... but it's turning out to be pretty fruitless.
And I am stumped.

Anyone have anything that they could put forward to this? I realize that Cubase is really good at finding faults to crash on, and that Windows 8.1 is... pretty new, but my hope is that I'm overlooking a simple solution.

Any help is appreciated!

Note:
I'm using a standard ACER Aspire E1-522-7843.
Spec-sheet here:
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model-datasheet/NX.M81AA.011

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am experiencing a similar problem.  Have a fairly new Gateway DX 4870 desktop running Windows 8.1  I use with the HD500 and HD Edit.  Works great for a few hours at a time then BSOD and various system error messages.  Not sure how to determine for sure it is the Line 6 drivers.  I also had the problem with Windows 8 before upgrading to 8.1.

• 1 month later...

Same thing here mate, I am having the same problem with windows 8. It crashes and restarts my laptop all the time getting the error: 

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (L6PODHD564.SYS)

this is appearing to happen to a lot of people using windows 8 from what I have seen on other threads:

http://line6.com/support/topic/5529-driver-for-win-8/

I have written to support but yet not got a solution to it.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been experiencing a similar problem on Windows 8.1 in Reaper. It randomly crashes the computer, stating a driver IRQL error. It's a problem with the driver on Windows 8, almost certainly. Sadly, HD500 out of action now until they fix it :(

• Upvote 1

I keep experiencing the same problem with my HD500 on Windows 8.1. Crashes laptop with a driver IRQL error message. Sadly, since I only really use it because of the USB connectivity, I have to mothball HD500 until it's fixed. Considering upgrading to an Axe Fx and just using my bog-standard EMU audio interface.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say that I am having this problem as well.   New laptop with windows 8.1, Cubase 7, the latest drivers from Line 6 installed, but I'm getting BSOD crashes.

Hopefully a fix is in the works since this is a show stopper.

Hmm, I remember back from the DOS days I think, there used to be issues assigning IRQ's to particular devices. 

Here's an article explaining IRQ's.  http://www.realworldtech.com/irqs-explained/

Sounds like the HD500 isn't playing nice and I bet that two devices are trying to access the same IRQ at the same time.  The crash is random because things happen so quickly that it's probably relatively low probability that they'll hit they IRQ at the same time.  I don't know how Windows uses IRQ's these days.  But I'm sure somebody out there does and can help sort this out. 

Find out which IRQ the HD500 is trying to access, and figure out what other devices are trying to access the same IRQ and try to move them to a different one.  

I imagine the HD500 needs this to keep latency low.

• 1 month later...

Same problem here.

I work with my Dell Ultrabook XPS12 + Sonar 3 + Windows 8.1

From the moment I plug in my POD HD500, it randomly crashes after 1 to 20 minutes.

I've been playing with my USB powersave setup.

On my dekstop I have windows 7 and everything work perfect never had 1 crash.

Please fix this bug, I really want to be able to record from my ultrabook.

Is Line 6 working to fix this bug?

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed it happen on Windows 7, only if the PC gets into stand by mode while the POD HD500 Edit software is running. I've solved this, making a power plan in which the pc never gets on stand by. And switching to this power plan, every time I plug the POD on the laptop. I dont know if it works this way on Windows 8.1. May be.

• Upvote 3

All good info thanks for sharing.

Hmm, I remember back from the DOS days I think, there used to be issues assigning IRQ's to particular devices. 

Here's an article explaining IRQ's.  http://www.realworldtech.com/irqs-explained/

Sounds like the HD500 isn't playing nice and I bet that two devices are trying to access the same IRQ at the same time.  The crash is random because things happen so quickly that it's probably relatively low probability that they'll hit they IRQ at the same time.  I don't know how Windows uses IRQ's these days.  But I'm sure somebody out there does and can help sort this out. 

Find out which IRQ the HD500 is trying to access, and figure out what other devices are trying to access the same IRQ and try to move them to a different one.  

I imagine the HD500 needs this to keep latency low.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on my end:

I've discovered that, for the SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error, it's caused by a conflict between the HD500 driver, and my integrated AMD Radeon HD 8400. Why do I know this? The STENH error only shows up when I'm using the HD500's USB interface WHILE I've got my external monitor plugged into my laptop's VGA port.

For anyone getting the STENH error, your GPU is likely to blame. Unfortunately, as mine is integrated, there is Jack and Squat that I can really do of it... Very disappointing, as I kinda need the additional pixel-based real estate when running Cubase.

As for the IRQL error, I got one of those the other afternoon as well. But I have yet to see it twice. A simple restart fixed the IRQL for me. Perhaps, for some, running a program like CCleaner and disabling software like AVG are a good workaround to that.
I'll let you guys know if I see the IRQL error again. When something happens more than once, there's obviously something to find. lol

Til later~

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I have the issue on windows 8, but only when disconnecting the usb cable while my DAW is open using asio4all. So there seems to be some sort of memory lock issue where windows doesn't know how to handle dropped handles or connections to the device. If I close my DAW first then unplug it, no issues.

• 2 months later...

I have the exact same problem, on Windows 8, 8.1 and now also on 10. The BSOD's are getting more frequent and more varied: apart from the 'System Thread not Handled' and the IRQ-thingy, I also get 'Bad Pool Header' and 'K-Mode Exception not Handled'. It's driving me nuts. Has anyone of you ever found a way around this..? 

• 3 weeks later...

Same here, my computer with Windows 10 crashes a lot in Cubase with "Bad Pool Header" and "IRQL".

I changed my laptop recently and in my old one with Windows 10 too, I haven't had a single crash; I would really appreciate it if someone could find a solution.

• 3 weeks later...

i recently bought a brand new laptop pretty much only for using my podhd 500x and i keep getting the bsod and is reads DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL every session and my computer winds up rebooting for like an hour. i dont know how to fix this issue and from what im seeing line 6 isnt really giving any solutions. any suggestions? im close to gettin rid of my pod.

Hint:  If the computer is crashing only when the HD500 is plugged in, it's not a Microsoft issue.  It's a Line 6 driver issue.  Microsoft provides ample documentation and plenty of examples for how to write crash-proof drivers to anyone that requests it.  If someone chooses to not follow the guidelines and go their own way, this is the price they pay.

There are TONS of audio interfaces on the market that work just fine on any of the above versions of Windows.  I have a MOTU that's been running for years, and several others before that one.  It's ludicrous to place the blame on Microsoft for the failure of companies that don't do appropriate testing of their products.

This is also the reason I don't use my HD500x or HDProX as an audio interface.  I use a company (MOTU) whose business depends on it being a stable audio interface.  The audio interface on the POD is just an added feature.  If you want things to work right put a tested and proven audio interface on the computer and plug the POD into that via the XLR outs.  Guaranteed that will work just fine.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone found a solution for this problem yet? In otherwords: are they going to publish new drivers fully compatible with the windows 10? My computer crashes all the time and I am also getting "Bad Pool Header" notes... It is nowadays impossible to record anything with the pod x3 and windows 10 - I did not have any problems before updating the windows.

Huge disappointment. Just got an hd500x to use for recording with a windows 8.1 laptop. Experiencing pretty much everything listed in this thread. Select asio in reaper and it appears to work for a minute or so until it blue screens(bad pool header, irql, ect..). I have noticed that if I leave it in direct sound instead of selecting asio it still seems to work as it should and it works a little longer (maybe 5-15 minutes) and doesnt blue screen but reliably experiences an audio lock which requires a reboot to correct. And of course just disconnect the pod and everything goes back to working 100% correctly. Judging by this 3 year long thread with apparently zero response from line 6 I guess I should stop trying to fix it and figure if I should just send it back or spend more money on gear to work around a feature this thing was already supposed to have. First and probably last line 6 purchase. Terrible experience.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys I got my Pod hd500 to stop giving me the bsod while using it with reaper by making a new power option on my laptop with windows 8.1.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/recording/computer-audio-set-up-and-troubleshooting/usb-audio-troubleshooting-r443

Go onto this link and look under "7. change power options" and following the windows 8 instructions on making a better power option. I guess turning off the selective usb suspend helped solve the problem. Make sure all your drivers are updated before hand. I hope this helps solve your guys' problem as it solved mine.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the Mr. Just Startin's suggestion for solve the blue screen problem. After I try a "7. change power options", the problems has gone. Everything work well as they should. I try to record 2-3 lines of guitar for 30 minutes and it work!!! it solve mine too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
This error mainly causes from newly installed hardware that is not compatible or need to update the driver so don't be panic if your encountering this error make sure to follow this steps if that mention above doesn't address your concern. i found a website that provides simplified steps.

Run chkdsk to see if there's any errors/corruption on the SSD

Run a diagnostic on the SSD (try HD Tune)

Run memtest Using Memtest86 

• 2 years later...

Hello!

I'm having the same problem!

New notebook Acer Aspire 5  with AMD Radeon RX, all the drivers are ok, but when I try to open the Reaper...blue screen

The app Blues Screen view show the error "Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"  cause by driver "L6PODHD564.sys" Guitar Port WDM

I try everything but without sucess, someone have the solution?

Tks