Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Use as strictly a multi stomp / no modeling?

MikeDVI

Hi, I think I found that I can do this, however thought I would jump in to confirm. Is it possible to assign all of the FS buttons to a different stomp, thereby making a "glorified" 8 pedal pedalboard only?

I am posting this in the firehawk as well since that is on my consideration list also.

Thanks for your patience if this has been asked already!

(If you are wondering, I have a pedalboard now and if I need modeling I use an eleven rack for recording etc.)

Mike

sure

if you don't want to use an amp, don't add an amp.

seems simply enough 

but the better question is ---- why buy a device that has amp modeling if you don't intend on using amp modeling. 

you can certainly find better uses for your money.

Thanks pianoguy. 

Sounds like I need to clarify. I want to use this in (mostly) live situations to replace a pedalboard that has 5 pedals on it. That current 5 pedal board would become my backup. At times I could use more pedal "types", and don't want to get into a 10+ pedal setup. So, a multi just might do it.

As far as money, my gear has to accommodate a wide variety of situations and be on the ready when I get called. And that is why I am considering this or perhaps a firehawk.

I appreciate the help!

Mike

I don't know about the HD300 or HD400... but on the 500 and 500x you can set the pedals in 8 stomp mode.... plus you have the toe switch under the expression pedal. When you need to change presets simply step on the bank up or bank down button to reveal the presets.... once you choose a preset it returns to 8 stomp mode. 

5 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

but the better question is ---- why buy a device that has amp modeling if you don't intend on using amp modeling. 

Seemingly logical, but I'd still like to play devils advocate on this one :) 

1. You never know when you might want to try the modeling... especially when it is available. 
  2. The HD 500(x) is a very flexible, great sounding pedal board, complete with an expression pedal...  it's hard to get more for the money.
  3. The "pre-amp models" (w/cab turned off) make great "amp in the box" effects opening the tone palette much further. 

I own the unit(s). I agree, they are fantastic. 

And, yes, "you never know what you might need". 

But I can't ever picture myself wanting... let's say... features 1, 2, and 3. And buying something that does 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. Particularly when I the core selling point is 4-7, and I already have something that does 4-7. 

If I wanted MFX, I would not even be looking at modelers. I would be looking at MFX in the price range. 

Also, from personal experience, buying one of these and not using the modeling is the equivalent of...  

buying a Ferrari for the sole purpose of driving from the garage to the end of the driveway to pick up your mail, and then right back to the garage. 

Thanks codamedia, I appreciate the info! Also looking at Fractal FX-8, and the 6 Helix. These all seems to be in line with what I need to do at this time, and as stated  the important step is relegating my existing board to a backup whether by duplication or replacement with something else superior. I cannot afford to be shut down for performance failures due to lack of a backup plan in place.

Thanks pianoguy, your opinions are duly noted, and I appreciate you spending the time on my post.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2019 at 1:46 PM, pianoguyy said:

sure

if you don't want to use an amp, don't add an amp.

seems simply enough 

I have the same question. I would like to use POD as my virtual pedalboard. Don't really need Amp|Cab simulation at all (I might try to use the Cab simulation again, but only when I will get Mooer Radar pedal. Now, I just don't like the default Cab sound of POD).

I have a pedalboard with real stomp boxes, but it is becoming too big and heavy to carry with me.

So, I want to use only FX of POD (delays, reverbs, flangers etc.). Most of the time I play with a real stack (Head+CAB) and connect

the guitar to the front input. 

-What global setting should I use for POD? Studio-Direct or Stack Front? 

-How should I use 1,4" out in terms of Line/Amp switch? The Line position has hot signal, so I'm a bit afraid that I could FRY the front input 

of the Amp. Is is true?

or maybe...

Is it better to put an FX LOOP block in the POD chain and to send the signal from POD Send OUT to AMP FRONT INPUT?

But! The POD send out is stereo, so is it OK to connect it with mono input of the AMP?

Hope that somebody could help me. Thanks 

1 hour ago, Kukuruza said:

I would like to use POD as my virtual pedalboard. Don't really need Amp|Cab simulation at all......

-What global setting should I use for POD? Studio-Direct or Stack Front? 

Those settings only take effect when you use amp/cab modeling. IMO... in your case set it to "studio direct" just to make sure you don't engage any "live cabs" behind the scenes. 

2 hours ago, Kukuruza said:

How should I use 1,4" out in terms of Line/Amp switch? The Line position has hot signal, so I'm a bit afraid that I could FRY the front input 

of the Amp. Is is true?

You are plugging into the front of an amp, so you should set it to amp. 

2 hours ago, Kukuruza said:

or maybe...

Is it better to put an FX LOOP block in the POD chain and to send the signal from POD Send OUT to AMP FRONT INPUT?

Not unless you want to get into the 4 cable method... if that sounds foreign to you, just use the POD's output.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2019 at 12:47 PM, MikeDVI said:

Thanks codamedia, I appreciate the info! Also looking at Fractal FX-8, and the 6 Helix. These all seems to be in line with what I need to do at this time, and as stated  the important step is relegating my existing board to a backup whether by duplication or replacement with something else superior. I cannot afford to be shut down for performance failures due to lack of a backup plan in place.

Thanks pianoguy, your opinions are duly noted, and I appreciate you spending the time on my post.

Mike

Mike,

I also have been using a pedal board for a good while. I just purchased a new HD500X and am planning on using it as a pedalboard mainly starting out. FYI to others reading this, I own numerous Line 6 products including amps, various PODs including a POD XT live,  and stomp pedals. I went back to a pedalboard because the XT live was too limiting without having to spend a massive amount of time programming it (another FYI, I am an IT guy so I have no issues figuring how to do this). I use a handful of OD/Dist pedals, a compressor, delay, and some modulation, Plus a volume and wah pedal. This unit will give me all that and if I want I can use the Ampsim for certain situations (no amp, recording, driving the backend of an amp for variety). You know what your needs are and others shouldn't tell you what you should do, but provide info on what you asked. I bought the HD500X because I was already in the market for a MFX unit and nothing met my needs until I looked at this. I wasn't willing to spend $1000-2000 on high end systems like the Helix (which I'd love to have) when this unit does all I need and is a pro-grade unit. I play in a Classic rock and blues band as well as in church every week. I need versatility for any situation and I am not wealthy enough to buy anything out there. It sounds like you have a similar situation. I hope this encourages you to continue with what you need and not buy too much and never use it. I will be using all of mine at different times.

Just my 2.4 cents...

RG