Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New HX Stomp Bricked after failed update

Mattb4rd

I have a new HX Stomp and attempted to update the firmware to 2.71. 

It appeared to work then froze on "rebuilding presets". I've tried several more times, including the manual method in DFU mode. 

When I boot it up while holding the > button, the pc recognizes it but as soon as I attempt to update it, the communication is interrupted (I hear an audible disconnect sound) and the update fails. 

I have a ticket in but I'm hoping for a quicker fix. 

Regards, 

MB 

I had a similar experience with my HX-FX. I was using a laptop running Win 7 and the new cable that came with an HX Stomp. It took several tries and ended up finally working with a different USB cable and a different USB port before I got it to go all the way through to completion. Several others report this sort of experience in another recent thread here.

Update: I installed the device driver separately and that worked. 

Odd to me that the driver packaged with HX Edit and the Updater was able to facilitate comms well enough to display "2.71" on the device but couldn't finish the job. 

4 hours ago, Mattb4rd said:

Update: I installed the device driver separately and that worked. 

Odd to me that the driver packaged with HX Edit and the Updater was able to facilitate comms well enough to display "2.71" on the device but couldn't finish the job. 

Not odd at all.  Determining a simple version number is quite a bit different than the process involved in installing presets that have a different organization and structure than what the driver and Helix might be expecting.

12 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

Not odd at all.  Determining a simple version number is quite a bit different than the process involved in installing presets that have a different organization and structure than what the driver and Helix might be expecting.

OK .. maybe this is odd then; Now the Stomp won't connect to the PC at all. I used HX Edit a few times successfully last night and it connected fine first thing this morning. At some point it disconnected and will not reconnect no matter what I try. The PC doesn't seem to recognize it at all. The audible chime I had been getting on power up while connected to USB is gone. 

I even tried to connect it to another PC. No joy, unless I put it in DFU mode. 

I'm close to packing it up and returning it but I really want it to work. 

I submitted another trouble ticket to tech support. 

MB 

Considering that this was the most expensive piece of guitar effects gear I've ever purchased, I was very careful when I repacked it for return. 

Sorry if I seem bitter. It's not intended necessarily. This just wasn't for me.

I have a modded Fender Ramparte and a few stomp boxes. It sounds great. I was hoping this would make it even better. 

Returning it solved the problem for me. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I managed to get mine updated too. Here's what I had to do after I installed the USB drivers & the Line 6 Updater:

1) download the HDX firmware file into the local Line6 updater location: C:\program files (x86)\Line 6\Line 6 Updater

2) turn my computer speakers on so I could hear the actual connection over USB being made. I was expecting to see something change on the HX Stomp display and that doesn't happen.

3) power the Stomp on holding down the right page arrow button. You will here the sound your computer makes when it finds new hardware.

3) run the Line 6 updater and tell it to run in offline mode. If you have a USB connection to the Stomp it will ask you if you are updating an HX Effects or an HX Stomp

4) pick the HX Stomp

5) click the browse button and you should see the hdx file, run it and enjoy.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 5/24/2019 at 9:42 AM, rjshama said:

I managed to get mine updated too. Here's what I had to do after I installed the USB drivers & the Line 6 Updater:

1) download the HDX firmware file into the local Line6 updater location: C:\program files (x86)\Line 6\Line 6 Updater

2) turn my computer speakers on so I could hear the actual connection over USB being made. I was expecting to see something change on the HX Stomp display and that doesn't happen.

3) power the Stomp on holding down the right page arrow button. You will here the sound your computer makes when it finds new hardware.

3) run the Line 6 updater and tell it to run in offline mode. If you have a USB connection to the Stomp it will ask you if you are updating an HX Effects or an HX Stomp

4) pick the HX Stomp

5) click the browse button and you should see the hdx file, run it and enjoy.

Thank god I came across this post. I had the same problem and this got me going again. Thank you for the info my friend!

• Like 1