Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Beckybrown

Hi Fellow HX stomp/Helix users!

I'm a newbie and quite confused re how to use my HX STOMP live - straight to the PA as my rig (stand alone) 

I have some questions!

Other than using the stereo outputs at the back, where I simply connect one to each speaker using a TRS/guitar jack...one each for left and right....Is there something else I need to do to make sure I'm getting the best 'true' stereo signal? Any particular settings within the stomp itself I need to change? For each preset so far I've gone in to global settings and made sure the output level is 'line' not 'mic' but its mono . Is there anything else I can do?

I have a couple of amazing EV speakers but so far the guitar tone isn't fantastic,  some of the presets sound better in headphones. I discovered IR's - which I think is my answer to a more realistic tone. I've been able to start making a few custom presets but I've just seen a video of one of the clever guys talking about IR's instead of using the existing cab models. He split the signal by the looks and uses 2 IR's. (???!!)

Is that what I need to do to create a true stereo signal for my guitar? To make it also sound more 'real'?

Any tips at all I would really appreciate. I have my first gig with it soon and I'm overwhelmed and confused!!!

Many thanks all!

What model EV speakers are you using? On the floor or on stands? Vertical or horizontal? How far apart? Room acoustics make a difference. How far you're standing from the speakers and typical volume levels (a smartphone SPL meter can help determine if Fletcher-Munson curve is a factor). There's lots of variables involved, more details would be helpful.

EDIT: also make sure you don't have a mono block at the end of the chain

11 hours ago, Beckybrown said:

To make it also sound more 'real'?

Real means different things to different people. You must keep in mind... and understand....

• An HX direct to full range speakers (or PA) is not the sound of an amp sitting beside you which is what you are used to hearing.
  • It is the sound of an amp with a mic on it, as listened to through full range speakers or a PA... which is what the audience usually hears.

They are two different sounds.... both are very much real! 

11 hours ago, Beckybrown said:

He split the signal by the looks and uses 2 IR's. (???!!)

If you have a stomp I think this would consume too many blocks or resources. Personally... even if you choose an IR over a stock cab, one IR will suffice. To create your "stereo sound" you want, insert a stereo effect or two AFTER the Amp and IR.  

That's just my opinion and how I would do it... that doesn't mean you have to :)

Thanku so much to each of you for the replies. I feel better already. 

There are some really helpful tips here. Like making sure I don’t have a mono block at the end of my chain...and that one IR may suffice. I also will try the stereo effects AFTER the amp & IR. 

The point re the sound being a model of a guitar amp with a microphone on it - through a PA... that’s a great reminder. I wouldn’t be used to that tone obviously, however a live sound engineer / the audience would. I barely stood off stage out the front during gigs whilst I was playing!  Both sounds are real indeed, you’re right! I just didn’t look at it that way. 

I’m using 2 x EV ELX 200 speakers, both 10” and the matching EV 12” subwoofer. Speakers on stands vertically. Approx 4 metres apart. Assuming a Fletcher - Munson curve may be a phase type thing? I can absolutely get an SPL meter but would need to know where / how I take the measurement? 

This is sure a big learning curve but worth it ! 

3 hours ago, Beckybrown said:

Assuming a Fletcher - Munson curve may be a phase type thing?

The Fletcher-Munson curve describes how our ears perceive sound. At lower volumes we hear a drop-off of the highs and lows. If you create a preset at a low volume level, when you crank it up live it'll seem too bass-y or screechy. If you create presets with headphones, the headphones themselves will color the sound, and when you use the preset live it won't sound right. If you create your presets through the equipment you intend to use live, at a level around/over 85-90db, you should be good.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Beckybrown said:

I can absolutely get an SPL meter but would need to know where / how I take the measurement? 

I setup my tones at about 90db using two sets of studio monitors. When it get it sounding good on both, the tone translates really well to FOH and Monitor systems. 90db is really loud in a small music room, but on a stage it is pretty normal... maybe even a little quiet. IME, the Fletcher-Munson curve is a non-issue by the time you reach 85db.

I should also mention that I set my DB meter to "Slow" and "C Weighted" and take a measurement from where I stand... usually about 4-6 feet from the speakers which is similar to how far a monitor would be when I'm standing in front of it... or an amp would be if it were beside/behind me. 

• Upvote 1

This is very valuable information. I will set up my tones using my studio monitors and measure them using an SPL meter. Hoping that I can purchase one to use with my iPhone that’s reliable? I’ll then set my stomp sounds at around 90db as advised. 

Excellent :) Thanku so much. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I got my HX 2 months ago, download G12 IR's (great choice) and after using it live in small venues (100-150 pax) with HT 40 BlackStar and Boss Katana, both flat, I can say that for sound check was like the quickest ever in my 41 year anniversary this year, but I'm still not sure if I better get something like a couple of active powered speakers, I know is the main topic here, but any help and recommendations will be much appreciated, so which ones you recommend?  Also, I'm in Costa Rica and L6 is no longer available here in my country, I have the only one HX in Costa Rica (lil scared about malfunction), said that coz it gets kinda hot and after 2 hours or so squeals and I'm really afraid, is this overheating normal?
Thks

• 8 months later...
On 3/24/2019 at 7:14 PM, codamedia said:

I setup my tones at about 90db using two sets of studio monitors. When it get it sounding good on both, the tone translates really well to FOH and Monitor systems. 90db is really loud in a small music room, but on a stage it is pretty normal... maybe even a little quiet. IME, the Fletcher-Munson curve is a non-issue by the time you reach 85db.

I should also mention that I set my DB meter to "Slow" and "C Weighted" and take a measurement from where I stand... usually about 4-6 feet from the speakers which is similar to how far a monitor would be when I'm standing in front of it... or an amp would be if it were beside/behind me. 

What decibel meter do you download on iPhone? I want to make sure I'm downloading the correct one that allows me to adjust parameter like Slow and C Weighted.

Thanks

52 minutes ago, belliot21 said:

What decibel meter do you download on iPhone? I want to make sure I'm downloading the correct one that allows me to adjust parameter like Slow and C Weighted.

Thanks

The one I use is called "dB Volume" from DSP Mobile. Has the features codamedia mentioned.

• 9 months later...
On 24/3/2019 at 10:45, rd2rk said:

La curva de Fletcher-Munson describe cómo nuestros oídos perciben el sonido. A volúmenes más bajos, escuchamos una caída de los altos y bajos. Si crea un preset a un nivel de volumen bajo, cuando lo ponga en vivo parecerá demasiado grave o chirriante. Si crea preajustes con auriculares, los propios auriculares colorearán el sonido, y cuando use el preajuste en vivo, no sonará bien. Si crea sus ajustes preestablecidos a través del equipo que pretende usar en vivo, en un nivel alrededor / por encima de 85-90db, debería estar bien.

A que se refieren con 85 a 90 dbs?