Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix into stereo amp, help?

gibsonsj

I have an old SS Fender Ultra Chorus with a stereo effects loop and a stereo power amp section.  I'd like to run the helix in stereo to it.  I realize the speakers are close together and the effect will be limited, but up close in my studio I should be able to hear the stereo effect.  I've tried multiple setups in multiple ways and I can't get it to work as I think it should.

The manual shows the options here:  https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/OM_leg_gtramp_Ultra_Chorus.pdf

For whatever reason this still eludes me.  Anyone had any luck with a similar setup?  I think this amp is fender's try at the JC120, so if anyone has figured that out it may be the same.

Do you have the right cables to make this work? You need two mono 1/4" jacks from the HELIX OUT combined to a TRS at the amps Stereo FX Return. This type of cable is commonly referred to as an "insert cable".

Manual > Page 4 > Right Side only of Image 4 (don't bother with the left side of that image yet... if at all)

If you have one of those cables, start simple. 

Guitar > Helix Input > Helix Output (stereo) > Amp FX Stereo Return

I strongly recommend that you don't try setting up any 4cm, 5cm or 7cm setups until you get that basic setup working. 

If you like to use the pre amp and the chorus of your amp I would connect it like that (don't use an amp/cab block then):

Guitar > Helix Guitar In

Helix Send 1 > Amp Guitar Input  (...insert a mono send1 block in the signal chain at the beginning or after a distortion pedal block f.e.)

Amp stereo FX send (left/right) > Helix Return 1/2   (insert a stereo return 1/2 block with mix at 100% in the signal chain after the send1 block)

Helix 1/4 out (left/right) > amp stereo FX return (left/right) (...make sur the global setting for the 1/4 out signal is instrument not line)

make sure you have no mono blocks after the return 1/2 block

...otherwise you can connect the Helix 1/4 out (left/right) to your amp fx stereo return (use an amp block but no cab)

11 minutes ago, codamedia said:

Do you have the right cables to make this work? You need two mono 1/4" jacks from the HELIX OUT combined to a TRS at the amps Stereo FX Return. This type of cable is commonly referred to as an "insert cable".

Manual > Page 4 > Right Side only of Image 4 (don't bother with the left side of that image yet... if at all)

This is probably my problem.  I have one of these:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K59LPDJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will that work?  Does it matter which (red or black) I use in the helix (left or right)?  

11 minutes ago, codamedia said:

3 minutes ago, Thark said:

I don’t think it will matter which you use for left and right. Swapping them back and forth will just move things from left to right and vice versa. 

Yep, it doesn't matter, it just swaps left and right

26 minutes ago, gibsonsj said:

This is probably my problem.  I have one of these:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K59LPDJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will that work?  Does it matter which (red or black) I use in the helix (left or right)?  

That cable will work fine.... now just try a simple setup as suggested and it should work.