Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects Transparency?

Rickolds

I sold my HD500X not too long ago. I was using it for effects pre and post pre amp, no amp modeling (4 Cable method). I struggled with the extent that it colored my tone through my EVH combo. Knowing this is a line 6 forum Im hoping to get some objective opinions or tips on how the HX Effects does in 4CM. I Need to make a decision soon. Any advice  would be greatly appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Rickolds said:

Anyone have experience with this, good or bad?

Well, most of us here are pretty bought and sold on the HX Line. So how does it do in four cable?  I think it's amazing. If you really don't need amp modelling, then I can't recommend the HX effects enough.

At the same time though, I really loved my HD 500X, though I do think the HX line is quite a nice improvement. That means though we already kind of had different experiences there. My advice would be to buy from a place that lets you return if you're not satisfied. 

• 2 weeks later...

Before I bought my Helix,  I used HX Effects in 4CM with my DT25.  The sound was fantastic.

I have been hearing some folks complaining about HX effects and noise in FCM mode.  I never gigged with it and had long cable runs, so I don't know anything about those problems.  But look at the forums here carefully for that topic.

I plugged my guitar directly into the HXE to throw some compression and distortion into the input of the amp, and then pulled the effects send back to the HXE for some delay and reverbs.  Output back to the DT25.  Loved the sound.   But with the Helix, I don't have to carry my amp around, so I haven't messed with it in a while.

There are some presets with 4cm in their name you can use to base your patches.  I just built them myself using HX Edit.

I've even messed around a good bit wth HXE and HD500 in 4CM, and it's great there too. Lots of possibilities.

Used for around $500, it's a great unit.

If i notice any coloration on the sound, was mostly good coloration, because you can boost, or dim your line output as you desire , but no muffled sound like the cheap modelers do , that being said , i get some 60 cycle hum , especially if I crank the gain of the tube amp a little more than 10 o clock , but that appears to be the result of matching the analog and digital unit , they  never went very well together , I tried some inline hum canceling box , but no lucky there, it is more annoying when I use two tube amp in a stereo configuration , I still working on it , for now, I keep very clean pre-amp, and I use the master volume on the amp, that helps with the noise , 

that being said the ability to arrange the pedals anyway I like, and the variety available,  surpass the drawbacks by thousand a mile , i even compare some of analogs with the compatible digital pedals , i could not hear any difference