Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects IN/Out Clip Check

bshaw92

Looking through the forum and manual I could not see clarification on verifying input levels are free from clipping. I have a tube amp running into a Weber Max 200 Load box with line out into the HX Effects. The inputs and outputs are set at line level, but since I cannot see a meter I am not sure how to check that the line level input is not near a clipping level. It doesn't sound like it is, but the load box has an adjustable level knob so I was curious how far I could push it before it starts to clip. Once into the HX it is going through a noise gate > Chorus > Flanger > Delay > Delay > Rotary > > Verb (not necessarily the order of effects) IR > FOH

I agree ... a clipping indicator should have been added a long time ago.

Here are a couple of ideascale proposals, so go vote for both of them....

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Helix-Guitar-Signal-Metering/741210-23508

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Digital-clipping-indicator-for-Helix/790424-23508#idea-tab-details

My personal preference would be to be able to assign an LED to light green, yellow, or red depending on input level. 

• Upvote 1

I think the inputs on the HX Effects are rated for +20dBU or something like that, so it's actually pretty difficult to clip them. A lot of gear, especially if it's digital, can't actually output a signal that loud because it would clip its own converters first (the inputs on the Strymon pedals are rated at +8dBU, for comparison's sake). I've been using the Helix for almost four years (the HX and the Helix use the same A/D converters), and I've never run into a situation where I've been clipping the input. If I've ever run into clipping, it's always been happening somewhere else. The more likely thing than clipping the input is clipping the output, although, unless you have a ton of gain in your chain, that's even kind of hard.

I'm not saying this means Line 6 shouldn't add meters. I would still like them. I'm just saying that if you aren't hearing clipping, you're good.

• Upvote 1