Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Computer Needs?

IBbrianB

So I’m new, ordering a Helix Floor next week. I am confused a little about external computing needs. Am I right to assume I will need to interface with a normal desktop computer to do updates and backups? (I use Mac stuff - are there system requirements) Do I need any special software? Are other ‘operations’ best/easier done on computer, instead of directly through the floorboard? Are there advantages to buying Helix Native solely in order to work with the floorboard?

You can probably get a head start by going to the Line 6 support site for downloads.  What you want is the download for HX Edit version 2.71 specifically for the Mac.  Take the time and read the release notes which will give you all the specifications as far as operating system versions and requirements.  When you download and install the Hx Edit program is also downloads any Helix specific device drivers as well as the appropriate Line 6 Updater program.  Your Helix should come with a short USB 2.0 type B cable but you may want a longer one.

USB 2.0 type B link

Once your Helix comes in you simply connect the USB cable to your PC.  If you've already installed the HX Edit program then you need to immediately run HX Edit and do a backup of your Helix.  Then all you'll need to do is exit the HX Edit program and run the Line 6 Updater and it will take you through the process for installing the latest version of the software (2.71) onto your Helix.  THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS YOUR HXEDIT PROGRAM MUST MATCH THE VERSION NUMBER FOR THE HELIX FIRMWARE INSTALLED ON YOUR HELIX OR YOU'LL HAVE ALL SORTS OF WEIRD ANOMOLES.

With all that done you use your HX Edit program to access and work on your presets.  It's also used to make backups,, save presets to disk, or load IRs.

5 hours ago, IBbrianB said:

Are there advantages to buying Helix Native solely in order to work with the floorboard?

Native has nothing to do with the floorboard... it's a DAW plug-in for recording. It contains everything that your hardware does, but functions independently. All you need is a guitar and interface... the Helix hardware is not required to use Native. 

As already mentioned, HX Edit is what you need to create, edit, and store backups of your patches on a computer. 

3 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

With all that done you use your HX Edit program to access and work on your presets.

You don't NEED HX Edit to create and edit your presets, that can be done directly on the board, and some people prefer that method. I use the board for on-the-fly adjustments, but overall, HX Edit is a lot easier on the back....

You don't need Native or any other interface to use Helix or to record. Helix is an interface. It's fine to use it with an interface if you prefer but you won't be able to do things like record the dry input signal for re-amping.