Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best custom presets for Helix LT...?

stefannickel

I have Fremen (my favorites) and GlennD (also good). Never tried Choptones. Sometimes I just want to flip through a lot of ready-made presets until inspiration strikes. Give a man a fish...

AND/OR you could go to CustomTone, DL all of Jason Sadites' presets, then check out his YouTube channel for videos on how and why he made them the way he did. You'll be making your own in no time! Teach a man to fish......

• Upvote 3

Yes, creating your own is a beautiful thing. Learn to fish.

Still, I use and have learned a lot from third party presets. The best I've found are ones for which the author created their own IRs to match the preset. That can be an unbeatable combination, and something out of reach for most of us in terms of required time, expertise, equipment and experimentation. With those, you end up with some useful IRs plus the presets. They include stuff by Fremen and Glenn (there are others, of course). I've also been happy with these https://mbritt.com/product/m-britt-helix-preset-pack-1/ although I wish Michael would make some new ones for the more recent Helix amps.

• Upvote 2

I loaded the Michael Britt presets.... killer. For 30 bucks you get the 32 presets and the IR pack for those as well. Custom IRs of his cabs. 

If you like vox, clean and mid gain tones, its a bargain. And a great way to learn how to import the IRs and create tones.

• Like 2

My favourists of those I have testet so far are the Fremen presets. Mostly I use a FRFR-amp or headphones. The presets sounds really good with my equipment. But it's difficult to say which are the best sounding custom presets, because another guitar or amp can completely change the sound and it may sound bad for you.

19 hours ago, stefannickel said:

Thanks a lot, but the dropbox-file you gave me is empty...

If you are having difficulties with previous link posted by “arislaf” I suggest that you use this one.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4r7gucctc4ydkye/AACzuVidRrsSbORyqG72fpwSa?dl=0

I have made a copy of the original presets created by “arislaf” - you can also download them from this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0dg009g8ovfvrzr/AACanFxqQaLMd8QCj_VgHHVma?dl=0

Any problems with any of these links, please don’t hesitate to let us know.

Have fun - and a big thank you to Arislaf for his work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, datacommando said:

If you are having difficulties with previous link posted by “arislaf” I suggest that you use this one.

I have made a copy of the original presets created by “arislaf” - you can also download them from this link.

Love you mate! Thanks, i also updated some of these and recreated some pod xt amps,  if my link is not working, if you dont have problem pm me your email and upload them if you like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hiya it's Mikko from ML Sound Lab chiming in. We've received quite an overwhelming response from the Helix crowd. What we do is match the Helix to sound like real tube amps from my personal amp collection. We've done a Mesa Boogie Mark V and a Marshall Silver Jubilee and a bunch of cabs as well. If you're interested I highly recommend you check them out here: https://ml-sound-lab.com/search?q=helix

Here's a quick video showing how great our results are:

• Like 2

@MLSoundLabGood grief, just watched your Silver Jubilee video, sounds amazing! What platform did you record the audio for the video on? Is the Helix version built on a Helix Marshall model platform or is it something like GD’s custom amps that are a different amp with a trick IR? Regardless, sounds fantastic in that video.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, soundog said:

Nice presets, @arislaf. Also, I've your Variax Realistic Bundle a bunch! Thx for all the effort that went into making them.

Welcome Majora mate! Thank you for your comments!

Every single preset whether by sinmix, fremen or others - sounded like crap through a PA in a band situation. My own using some ownhammer IRs - best results and totally comparable in tone to my boosted fryette deliverance 60 with an orange cab. I was only able to do it sitting down and figuring stuff out in the room instead of at home.
All those presets that I bought sound amazing at home with all the fancy EQs and whatnot, but in a band situation u just get lost.

28 minutes ago, K-Roll86 said:

Every single preset whether by sinmix, fremen or others - sounded like crap through a PA in a band situation. My own using some ownhammer IRs - best results and totally comparable in tone to my boosted fryette deliverance 60 with an orange cab. I was only able to do it sitting down and figuring stuff out in the room instead of at home.
All those presets that I bought sound amazing at home with all the fancy EQs and whatnot, but in a band situation u just get lost.

Yup. If you can manage to use somebody else's patches completely unaltered, it's just dumb luck. And yes, I've tried... there are way too many variables. Tried dozens (of not hundreds) from Customtone, and even purchased a handful of the more frequently touted ones early on, mostly out of curiosity. Nothing was usable for me without significant editing. So why pay somebody if I end up having to do it myself anyway? So I don't get the appeal at all.... but to each their own. 

7 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Yup. If you can manage to use somebody else's patches completely unaltered, it's just dumb luck. And yes, I've tried... there are way too many variables. Tried dozens (of not hundreds) from Customtone, and even purchased a handful of the more frequently touted ones early on, mostly out of curiosity. Nothing was usable for me without significant editing. So why pay somebody if I end up having to do it myself anyway? So I don't get the appeal at all.... but to each their own. 

Hmmm . . . I haven't bought tons of them myself, but I found them very useful for getting ideas. Especially when you first jump in, at least for me, there was a lot of stuff I didn't know.

So those presets became template and practice ideas.  Almost like studying a textbook in school. 

In the end though, I always end up making my own. 

• 3 weeks later...

I got the fremen big pack and although there are some patches I deleted and wouldn't use just because of my playing style, they were all quite fantastic.  I kept about half of them and they are my main patches now, after I added wah and/or pitch shift and other stuff to taste.  Great work fremen!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2019 at 5:24 PM, Verne-Bunsen said:

@MLSoundLabGood grief, just watched your Silver Jubilee video, sounds amazing! What platform did you record the audio for the video on? Is the Helix version built on a Helix Marshall model platform or is it something like GD’s custom amps that are a different amp with a trick IR? Regardless, sounds fantastic in that video.

So far I've been lucky with getting the existing amp models matching the real tube amps. They just need to be tweaked in a weird way - many will have middle on full and bass on zero etc. but it's doable. Right now I'm working on an amp that's proving to be a bit trickier so I might have to using some additional blocks but I try not to use IR blocks for CPU and block space purposes. Thank you for your kind words! For audio I use Cubase 8.5 - (didn't get along with Cubase 10) and video is done using Premiere.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
4 hours ago, ErikvanderHorst said:

Hi! Can someone direct me to Jason Sadites' presets, as mentioned earlier in this thread? I just bought my Helix, and am very curious how his presets sound and come to be. Thanks!

If your talking his payware its here

https://shop.line6.com/marketplace/?___store=us_en&_ga=2.114053639.1490176303.1573607955-2023743612.1538692425&addon_vendor=125&amp%3B___from_store=ww_en&amp%3B___store=ww_en

He has free ones also here

https://line6.com/customtone/profile/jaysadites/

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2019 at 10:22 AM, eschworld said:

I got the fremen big pack and although there are some patches I deleted and wouldn't use just because of my playing style, they were all quite fantastic.  I kept about half of them and they are my main patches now, after I added wah and/or pitch shift and other stuff to taste.  Great work fremen!!

Glad you like them ! I just updated the full pack to firmware 2.82, all the presets were reviewed and many received new snapshots, + all the snapshots were named, you just need to download the zip file again to get the new versions

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 3/30/2019 at 4:20 AM, arislaf said:

Save some money and try mine first. https://www.dropbox.com/home/Helix sounds

Arislaf - I picked up a Helix LT a few months back.. Your JCM 800 Mod patch is absolutely fantastic!  Sounds like a real amp in the room.  Killed all the presets i've created.  Since I'm using an Alto TS312 I removed the double take (double track).  Well done!  If you ever have any new ones, please let us know!  Im a fan!

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 1/4/2020 at 11:20 PM, fremen said:

Glad you like them ! I just updated the full pack to firmware 2.82, all the presets were reviewed and many received new snapshots, + all the snapshots were named, you just need to download the zip file again to get the new versions

HI do you have any presets that might be close to a blackstar stage 60 mkii?  Best amp I ever owned.

25 minutes ago, GrampaBob said:

HI do you have any presets that might be close to a blackstar stage 60 mkii?  Best amp I ever owned.

I think what you’re looking for is not a preset, it’s an IR (Impulse Response). An IR is used in a preset to replace a cab block to model the sound of specific cabinet and mic combinations. You need to do some research on IR providers and look for someone that offers Blackstar cab IRs. 

1 minute ago, silverhead said:

What you’re looking for is not a preset, it’s an IR (Impulse Response). An IR is used in a preset to replace a cab block. You need to do some research on providers and look for someone that offers Blackstar cab IRs. 

Thnx for the reply.  I bought the blackstar IR set a while back waiting for the day to use it.  I'm looking for a preset build with all the voicings (3 channels x 2 voicings each) setup as snapshots and all the amp sliders already in position to sound close enough.  I would think some OD or distortion blocks need to be used to accomplish it but I wouldnt know where to begin nor have time to tinker with each OD/Dis block as well.  Just all overwhelming for me, but carrying amps is too much for my back so I resort to Helix.  I'd love to get my old stage 60 mkii back.

On 3/31/2019 at 5:25 PM, K-Roll86 said:

RIght here 100%, this is my identical issue.  Almost all the presets I have bought over the past few years are video demo'd across my nice big computer speakers with lots of stereo delay and glory.  Playing alone in the basement, they sound so sweet even if its mono in a PC+.  Playing live, bleh, none cut thru the band mix at all and are just too thin and scooped to be useable at all no matter the venue or PA tech.  Makes me want to goto back to a trusty amp.

I have no problem cutting through a band of 12 people, including a second guitar player and 2 keyboards players. Here I'm using an Axe-Fx III but the same presets I made for the Helix and HX Stomp works as well, several times I used my Helix in rehearsal - our rehearsal room is a big space with full PA and enough space for 60 people

On 3/5/2021 at 11:19 PM, fremen said:

I have no problem cutting through a band of 12 people, including a second guitar player and 2 keyboards players. Here I'm using an Axe-Fx III but the same presets I made for the Helix and HX Stomp works as well, several times I used my Helix in rehearsal - our rehearsal room is a big space with full PA and enough space for 60 people

Thanks, very nice video btw

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/31/2019 at 12:35 PM, datacommando said:

Is this alive? None of them doesn't work. Where can I find those presets?

4 hours ago, KubaP said:

Is this alive? None of them doesn't work. Where can I find those presets?

That post is from a couple of years back - they may have been accidentally cleared from Dropbox  - I will upload them again ASAP.

Stay tuned for the new link.

Hope this helps/makes sense

On 6/30/2021 at 8:14 AM, KubaP said:

Where can I find those presets?

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay - had to dig this out of a backup drive. The original link must have expired, hope this one is O.K.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/or8nazd6be7qipr/Arislaf_Helix_Prests.zip?dl=0

Enjoy - Regards

• Upvote 2