Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mesa TC-50, HX Stomp - which MIDI controller?

itsthedon

Hi all, I'm Chris. A couple days ago - and completely on a whim - I put in an offer on an HX Stomp and won it for a price I didn't expect. After a weekend spent searching for answers on how to make it work for my rig, I give up and this is my first post.

I have a couple amplifiers and I've been looking for somewhat of an "all in one" pedalboard solution for a while. My main amp is a Mesa Triple Crown 50, which (as I'm sure many of you are aware) has MIDI channel switching capabilities, an FX loop, all that jazz. I've been looking at replacing a good chunk of my pedal board (SA Nemesis Delay, Boss DC-2w, Walrus Audio Lilian Phaser, EHX Pitch Fork, Wampler Ego Comp) for a while and don't doubt the HX series, on a high level, has what it takes to do the job. I intend on fully utilizing the 4-cable method to make the most of it.

Here's my dilemma.

The TC-50 is a three-channel amplifier and has MIDI control over channel switching, FX loop, reverb and solo boosts. In a perfect world, I would have access to all three channels and solo boost in various combinations along with various effects from the HX. Ideally, I'd be able to access 6-8 presets encompassing channel switching/effects combinations readily. I was sold on the HX Effects (due in part to the additional loop to add a fuzz/drive/gate pedal on top) until I read about latency when using MIDI to switch amp settings. The snapshot workaround isn't something that'd work for me when limited to 4 per preset.

So, enter the need for a MIDI controller. I've looked at them all at this point, from Disaster Area to BOSS to Morningstar.

It seems as though the Morningstar MC6 MKII is the gold standard. Here's the big question - can I use an external MIDI controller to switch amplifier channels while simultaneously pulling up different effects combinations on the HX Stomp/Effects without lag/latency issues?

And, as an alternative, would there be any benefits to adding a Boss ES-8, if for nothing else, to be able to switch amplifier channels while sorting effects placement, if I added an overdrive/boost/etc pedal to the mix? Would an HX Effects/Morningstar combo make more sense for that?

Agh!

Thanks in advance -- I should also note that there's a decent chance I'm overthinking this. :)

On 3/26/2019 at 1:14 PM, itsthedon said:

So, enter the need for a MIDI controller. I've looked at them all at this point, from Disaster Area to BOSS to Morningstar.

It seems as though the Morningstar MC6 MKII is the gold standard. Here's the big question - can I use an external MIDI controller to switch amplifier channels while simultaneously pulling up different effects combinations on the HX Stomp/Effects without lag/latency issues?

And, as an alternative, would there be any benefits to adding a Boss ES-8, if for nothing else, to be able to switch amplifier channels while sorting effects placement, if I added an overdrive/boost/etc pedal to the mix? Would an HX Effects/Morningstar combo make more sense for that?

Agh!

Thanks in advance -- I should also note that there's a decent chance I'm overthinking this. :)

I didn't see this earlier but I was looking up some midi stuff myself and ran into it. My apologies if you have already moved on. 

In terms of midi, as far as I know you can either send program changes (PC) or continuous controller changes (CC). I've never seen both at the same time. 

What this means is, switching, preset or amp channel changes are usually program, and the on/offs of delays, reverb, etc., are usually CC. 

The Stomp could switch presets, and have your amp switch channels, at the same time. It could also activate effects and have your amp have effects do so at the same time.  And it's fast!

To do a preset/channel change AND a effect on/off would require at least two stomps. 

In regards to the Boss ES8, I think that's an impressive device, but I actually think the Morningstar MC6 would be quite a bit more useful. Midi control is a pretty nice function, particularly with the Stomp. 

Edit:  I know the Morningstar MC6 can send up to 16 messages per Stomp, so if it can mix and match PC and CC messages then yes, you'd be set. 

I have had zero problems doing similar things with midi controllable heads (although not the TC50 specifically)..

I also do this with the full blown Helix and not the Stomp but I can't see where it would be a problem?