Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone get any BIG rock tones?

mvarrone995

I’ve been playing my hd500 almost every single weekend for the best 2 years. I love the thing. It does everything I need. I run it direct to PA with stage sound. I have IEM’s in which I run a direct feed from my board so I can control my mix guitar volume. Actually entire band is on IEMs so there is 0 stage volume minus a bass cab and drums. 

So here’s where I’m getting at. My main tone is modeled after an EVH high gain tone. I use a two amp combo (boogie model and Marshall model ). I’ve had quite a few sound guys say they love my tone however when I reflect back on videos of us playing I am always disappointed. I always feel that my tone just doesn’t sound “big” enough. I can’t tell this from my iem mix.  I know I can’t exactly judge this by a video recording but it still worries me lol. 

Does anyone have any tips toward achieving a nice full big distortion main tone with an hd500?? Another fear of mine is also “over-doing” it and just muddying up my tone. 

17 hours ago, mvarrone995 said:

I’ve had quite a few sound guys say they love my tone however when I reflect back on videos of us playing I am always disappointed. I always feel that my tone just doesn’t sound “big” enough.

If this is your only gripe, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. What's the source of the audio on these "disappointing" videos? Is it a properly mixed multi-track recording from the board, or the $hitty mic in a cell phone or video camera that invariably clips constantly in a loud environment? If it's the latter, then it's a lost cause...you couldn't tweak that away if you spent the rest of your life trying, cause your rig ain't the problem.

• Upvote 2

Oh man...yeah was just going to say the same thing. These crappy 'recording' options are not giving true sound unless set up to take the recording off the board. Most times I'm disappointed when people post video of our shows or other shows because people viewing them somehow think it's a realistic replication of the sound in the venue. You can only trust the ears of someone actually in the room.

If the video is off the board or very good mics in the room the FoH mix has to share the frequency space.

Guitar being such a broadband instrument it steps on kick, bass, vocals, hihats etc.

It can wash out those instruments and those instruments can wash out the guitar .

In reality the guitar has to fit and the soundman wouldn't be doing his job if the guitar washed other instruments.

Much of this instrument separation is pre production stuff unless everyone is thru the PA.

If the other players are using amps and only you are going direct to FoH that can be a cause and here is the most likely,

If everything is going thru the PA that will make the wash more so unless you have a good FoH Engineer.

A good 3 way PA helps.

You can tell if you are a broadband hog by checking your patches for if you are highpassing your cab or not up to about 120hz or more.