Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hum when using loop send/return in HX Stomp

shikawkee

Howdy-

Anybody get a nasty hum when using the loop send/return block?  No matter what effects I put in there it happens if it's more than 1 or 2.

Using Strymon Okai and Truetone CS7 for power on the two small boards of 5-6 pedals I tried to insert.  I get signal but a hum that makes it unusable.

It's set up to 100% BTW.  Send and return are instrument level.

Here's a pic of the send/return view in HX Edit: 20190327-202031.jpg

Thanks!

I don't have that problem, but I don't use a lot of power hungry pedals either. 

My first question would be if it's a ground loop problem.  Did you look into that? Granted the truetone generally handles noise issues really well. 

7 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

My first question would be if it's a ground loop problem.  Did you look into that?

Well, I think it must be a ground loop issue but what could be causing it?

I just tested a few other configurations and once I go beyond two pedals the same thing happens.

Is there a workaround?  Other people must be using more than 2 effects in the loop, no?  Thanks.

Ground loops problems are hard to diagnose from afar. Part of the inherent problem is a reader can't immediately see the entirety of the setup. You kind of described it, but we might still be missing something. 

Could you post a photo and a bit more description of how it's all connected?  

10 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

Ground loops problems are hard to diagnose from afar. Part of the inherent problem is a reader can't immediately see the entirety of the setup. You kind of described it, but we might still be missing something. 

Could you post a photo and a bit more description of how it's all connected?  

Sure, so here are the two boards:

Board-1.jpgBoard-2.jpg

The first board has two mini pedals underneath, a compressor and a drive always on, and the whole thing is powered by 2 Strymon Ojai's linked.

Signal flow is right to left and the Thermae is the last in the chain.  Into underneath the board to drive then compressor then the top of the board.

The second board is pretty much the same thing except no pedals underneath and signal flow is right to left bottom row then right to left top row.  H9 is last in the chain (there's space for the Thermae which pulls double duty on these boards FWIW).  This board is powered by a Truetone CS7 underneath except for the H9 which has its own power supply.

Again, any time I chain more than two pedals I get the noise.  I pulled a few off the board to test this.

The boards are plugged into the same power strip as the HX Stomp.

Stereo send out of the HX Stomp (in mono) to left mono return of the HX Stomp.

18 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

Another point of clarification, do you get the hum ONLY when you use the HX Stomp FX loop, or if you simply chain all of the pedals up sequentially do you still get the same hum? 

No hum on my board connected to an amp or my DAW if that's what you mean.

Only hum when I use it in the loop of my HX Stomp.

And only hum when more than 2 pedals are connected in the loop of HX Stomp.

If I run that board into the HX Stomp input and go out of the HX Stomp output to my DAW there's no hum.  Only when using the loop.

2 minutes ago, shikawkee said:

No hum on my board connected to an amp or my DAW if that's what you mean.

Only hum when I use it in the loop of my HX Stomp.

And only hum when more than 2 pedals are connected in the loop of HX Stomp.

If I run that board into the HX Stomp input and go out of the HX Stomp output to my DAW there's no hum.  Only when using the loop.

Well frack . . . in that case all of my thoughts on what it could be are shot to hell. If it was general ground loop problems, my understanding is you'd encounter it regardless of whether pedals are placed in the Stomp's FX loop or simply in front of or after the Stomp.  The fact that it is only in the Stomp's FX loop leaves me clueless. 

It might be the kind of thing worth placing a Line 6 support ticket for since they are experts in the device. 

I'm going to keep thinking about this. Anyone else got an idea? 

I put in a ticket last night.  Heard from Frank R. this morning that apparently it's probably an issue with my unit.  Replacement on the way.  Thanks for the help.

I would be curious whether anyone else is using more than two pedals in the loop though and having issues.

Someone on TGP has 4 pedals in the loop with no problems but I don't know very many people who use more than three.

36 minutes ago, shikawkee said:

I put in a ticket last night.  Heard from Frank R. this morning that apparently it's probably an issue with my unit.  Replacement on the way.  Thanks for the help.

I would be curious whether anyone else is using more than two pedals in the loop though and having issues.

Someone on TGP has 4 pedals in the loop with no problems but I don't know very many people who use more than three.

Out of sheer morbid curiosity I once linked up five just to see how it handled it and mine was fine.

I'm glad you are getting taken care of. 

Well here's a kick in the head:

I was mixing all morning in the studio after communicating with Frank and his support team and just took a break and guess what?  No noise!  I didn't do anything different.  Just plugged in the loop for giggles to check and troubleshoot and it worked straight off.  I dunno'.  Crazy.

Happy but crazy.
  • Confused 1

• 7 months later...

hey! I allow myself to dig up this post because I have the same problem. I use the FX Loop in stereo with a Y cable for the SEND and Return L + R. When I plug my pedals in series everything is OK but as soon as I want to use the loop it "hum". That it is with 6 pedals or just 1 ... The cables are handmade and the power supplies are voodoolab. I really have trouble understanding the problem ... A conflict with the ground?

58 minutes ago, Florian_lecorre said:

hey! I allow myself to dig up this post because I have the same problem. I use the FX Loop in stereo with a Y cable for the SEND and Return L + R. When I plug my pedals in series everything is OK but as soon as I want to use the loop it "hum". That it is with 6 pedals or just 1 ... The cables are handmade and the power supplies are voodoolab. I really have trouble understanding the problem ... A conflict with the ground?

If you follow the original thread, you'll see all the input I have on the issue.

My initial thought would be yes, a ground conflict. Start there and eliminate that before checking other alternatives.